Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3rd Party Wireless USB Bridge to Kick the Phase One Tether Cable?  (Read 1952 times)

Transposure

• Transposure Creative

Hey Guys,
I shoot both Canon 1Dx and a Phase One/Leaf Medium Format systems. 

There are times that I am tethered.  There are times I am not tethered.  It depends on the shoot and circumstances.  However, with the speed and extent in which I move for my subject matter (moving models), I like being wireless so that I don't trip on the cable or, worse, step on the cable and yank the camera out of my hands (Yes, it's happened with a previous 1DsIII, but thanks to the L bracket, no harm).

With the Canon system, I use their Wifi transmitter module to wirelessly transfer files to the computer.
With the PO system, I use their USB3 cabled tethering solution.  I am familiar with the Capture Pilot application and I have used that as well.  But the Capture Pilot application does not address my tripping/stepping needs and, hence, this is the purpose of my post....

There is a product on the market (strictly for Canon and Nikon) called the CamRanger.  It acts as a 3rd party wireless interface between the camera and computer to transfer files.  It is incompatible with the Phase One system.

So, my question is whether there are any other 3rd party systems out there (besides Cam Ranger) that will essentially allow me to get rid of the tethering cable in favor of a two-piece wireless system to connect the digital back to the computer to wirelessly transfer files to Capture One?

If I had to describe this, i would be a Wireless USB Bridge device.  I envision plugging a module into the USB port at the digital back and another module into the USB port at the computer to take the place of a cable.  I seem to remember something like this in my video ramblings for transfer of of the HD video signal from the HDMI output.  And I think a very small portable router was the trick.

Does anyone have any insight?  Hints?  Proven solutions?

Christoph B.

Re: 3rd Party Wireless USB Bridge to Kick the Phase One Tether Cable?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 02:49:01 am »

I thought the Camranger does not transmit the raw files but does the exact same thing that Capture Pilot does - which is to control the camera but not replace a real tethering. But I may be wrong.

The CamRanger creates a 150Mbps connection and runs for about 5-6 hours. That means it's limited to about 18 megabytes per second, hardly a competition for USB3 or even FireWire800 for that matter.  If you want a faster WiFi connection and a longer runtime (both would be required for real actual tethering) it would have to be a much, much bigger device.

Again: I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

Transposure

• Transposure Creative
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 03:46:03 am »

C+B,
Thanks for your input.
I don't have direct experience with the camranger.  I have two friends that use it with their Canon cameras.  So I don't know if it transmits raw images or not.  And frankly, that's not a problem for my needs.  In general, my needs are twofold..
1. To get rid of the tripping hazard/nuisance of a physical cable.
2. To have a quick and easy to see preview (JPEG is fine for this purpose) of the shots as they are captured for my editor or client to say "good, let's move on".

Clearly, #2 is easily handled with Capture Pilot.  And that solution works well.  It is #1 that represents the bigger challenge.  I am often standing one second, sitting on the ground the next second, moving in 4 feet, back out 4 feet, etc.  the cable on the PO system is a nuisance.  The Canon 1Dx WiFi transmitter is a small add-on device that works very well and frees me to move around cable-free. 
I want that freedom with the Phase One system.
I typically shoot between 500 and 1,000 photos/day and I am trying to make things a little easier in the handling department.
Does this clarify it a little better?

Christoph B.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 04:34:13 am »

I never found the cable to be a nuisance but I understand that it can be - in that case you might want to consider shooting on your CF card and using an IQ2 or IQ3 back; if I remember correctly they have built-in WiFi that allows you to use CapturePilot.

Conner999

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 08:12:58 am »

As C+B indicates, with CR, the raws normally stay on the card, Jpeg previews to devices. Makes for speedy large - screen previews, focus checks. You can have it transmit Raws, but even CR doesn't advise it due to speed issues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up