Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lochranza's Castle...  (Read 2460 times)

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
Lochranza's Castle...
« on: March 01, 2016, 05:21:25 pm »

Lochranza's Castle, on the Isle of Arran, is a famously difficult place to photograph, mainly because there are very few good sunsets there in a year; plus, finding a good composition is not easy. One evening during my last visit on Arran I was starting my climb up Glen Sannox when I looked at the sky and, on a whim, I decided to go and shoot Lochranza's Castle instead. I was right: when I got there, I found a beautiful sunset and a layer of low clouds framing the Castle.

With the Pentax 645z and the 80-160mm f/4.5. Thanks for viewing! Best,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Lochranza's Castle...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 03:43:38 am »

Beautiful.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 05:00:27 am »

Well framed and captured.

Very well processed.

Thierry

stamper

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 05:58:00 am »

At the risk of nitpicking the amount of sunsets are the same for the rest of Scotland. If you had said sunrises you would have been correct because in winter there is no sunlight. I visit the location once a year on the paddle steamer Waverley so I don't get a chance for a sunset. Most photographers shoot from the other side of the ruin and the hills are a backdrop which means your image is uncommon.I like what you have done and the praise is justified. An image of the Waverley which celebrates this year it's 70th in existence.

AreBee

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 10:21:03 am »

stamper,

If you had said sunrises you would have been correct because in winter there is no sunlight.

This is patently untrue.

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 05:00:02 pm »

Beautiful.

Thank you very much Paulo! :D

Very well processed.

Thierry

Thank you very much Thierry! :D

At the risk of nitpicking the amount of sunsets are the same for the rest of Scotland. If you had said sunrises you would have been correct because in winter there is no sunlight. I visit the location once a year on the paddle steamer Waverley so I don't get a chance for a sunset. Most photographers shoot from the other side of the ruin and the hills are a backdrop which means your image is uncommon.I like what you have done and the praise is justified. An image of the Waverley which celebrates this year it's 70th in existence.

stamper,

This is patently untrue.

stamper, I agree that there are sunrises in winter as well as in summer, and as many sunsets as in the rest of Scotland meaning that there is in fact one sunrise and one sunset every day, granted. However, I can say that there aren't many good sunsets at Lochranza, I have tried many times without much luck; as well, if you google "lochranza castle" and click on "images" you'll see how few sunset images there are... Might be a coincidence, of course, might be that Arran is not a prime location for photographers (how wrong they are!), I have been there a few times and for quite a few days each time, and I must have been very unlucky then. Hopefully we'll have good weather in April for my Workshop :D

Thanks again everyone for viewing and commenting, much appreciated! :D

Best,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 07:18:56 pm »

Very well processed.

Thierry

+1
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

stamper

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 03:53:21 am »

stamper

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 04:02:18 am »

Thank you very much Paulo! :D

Thank you very much Thierry! :D

stamper, I agree that there are sunrises in winter as well as in summer, and as many sunsets as in the rest of Scotland meaning that there is in fact one sunrise and one sunset every day, granted. However, I can say that there aren't many good sunsets at Lochranza, I have tried many times without much luck; as well, if you google "lochranza castle" and click on "images" you'll see how few sunset images there are... Might be a coincidence, of course, might be that Arran is not a prime location for photographers (how wrong they are!), I have been there a few times and for quite a few days each time, and I must have been very unlucky then. Hopefully we'll have good weather in April for my Workshop :D

Vieri

Most of the tourists will have returned to Brodick before sunset. Your sunset image is the first I have seen of the location because it isn't known as a place for sunsets. As I explained most tourists will be shooting from the other side of the castle. Did you stay the night or move on after darkness?

AreBee

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 04:12:42 am »

stamper,

I do not require a link to know that in Scotland there is sunlight in winter - I have eyes and I can see.

stamper

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 04:17:22 am »

stamper,

I do not require a link to know that in Scotland there is sunlight in winter - I have eyes and I can see.

I would find it acceptable if you put me on your ignore list.

AreBee

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 04:54:17 am »

stamper,

I would find it acceptable if you put me on your ignore list.

I do not, and never will, have any forum member on my Ignore List. However, if you wish for me to never again respond to your posts then I will respect your wish.

Vieri,

I apologise for the poor ending to the thread you started.

stamper

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 05:03:30 am »

Rob I have no problem with your wish to respond it is the manner in which you respond that is the problem. I won't say anymore because I don't wish to be banned.

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 06:29:05 am »

Most of the tourists will have returned to Brodick before sunset. Your sunset image is the first I have seen of the location because it isn't known as a place for sunsets. As I explained most tourists will be shooting from the other side of the castle. Did you stay the night or move on after darkness?

stamper, I have been staying on Arran for a few days every time I went there. I think it's an island with a lot of potential for photography, and it deserves some time to be explored and worked  :D I'll be back in a few weeks, and before the Workshop I will spend some more days to work on the island on my own before the participants come. I really like Arran a lot, despite the little attention it got from photographers so far.  :D
Vieri Bottazzini
Pages: [1]   Go Up