Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need some help planning trip to Iceland  (Read 1150 times)

Peter Mellis

Need some help planning trip to Iceland
« on: February 29, 2016, 05:38:23 pm »

I'm thinking about going to Iceland late August or early September for a week. I'd like to see enough to get a feel for the country but don't want to travel the length & breadth; back, legs and stamina are not what they used to be. Although photography will not be the primary purpose of the trip, it will be a casual part; no climbing and/or laying on the ground to get the shot. Looking though posts on this site and doing some searching on the Internet, it seems like staying in Reykjavik and exploring the Snaefellnses peninsula via day trips might be the way to go. Maybe a day trip to the area east of Reykjavik, either inland or towards Vik, also. Would appreciate a recommendation (from experience) for a tour company that provides transport and a knowledgeable driver and will plan an itinerary with me. Any thoughts about the two areas mentioned would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Miles

Re: Need some help planning trip to Iceland
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 10:12:13 am »

It's certainly a nice place to visit.  A couple days for the Snaefellnes peninsula would seem appropriate.  We did most of it in a day, but hurried due to time constraints.  If you want to take your time and enjoy it, plan on at least two days.  The Golden Circle (inland) is a trip to be considered and I believe there are plenty of day tours available for that area.  We rented a car and did a self tour, thus I can't recommend a tour company.  Time permitting, you should consider heading to Vik, but my preference would be the above two locations first. 

Don't forget the Blue Lagoon.  It isn't far from Reykjavik and tour companies run there daily.  I'm not into that stuff, but clearly many people are.

We purchased a map and e-book from the International Photographer for planning our trip, which I noticed from another post here.  It is an excellent, high quality map that shows all the iconic picture locations and was used regularly the whole trip.  I'm sure there are other great guides available as well.

The good news is that I didn't find a lot of stamina was required for the majority of scenic locations.  Fairly easy access and reasonably short hikes.  Good luck!

Miles

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Need some help planning trip to Iceland
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 08:42:59 am »

I recommend the book "Forever Light: The Landscape Photographer's Guide to Iceland" by Sarah Marino and Ron Coscorros.
It's a modestly priced download that is IMO extremely well done.

FWIW, we'll be in Iceland for 2 weeks in June. On the suggestion of a friend who went previously, we are using a tour service that provides a rental car (no driver) and a planned driving itinerary with reservations for accommodations every night. We plan to essentially circle the entire island, but they have shorter planned itineraries that might suit your schedule.
Pages: [1]   Go Up