Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Double Falls in Glacier National Park  (Read 18375 times)

bparkin

Double Falls in Glacier National Park
« on: May 10, 2006, 05:59:14 pm »

Hello All,

I'm planning a trip to Glacier National Park this summer and am really struggling to find the location of the double water falls that Galen Rowell captured so nicely.  You can see a copy of the image at http://www.toddskinner.com/portal/Galen/Gallery_10.htm

Ever since I have seen this image, I have been wanting to visit the park and take in that same vista.  Any help finding the spot would be great.  I've found references to lots of twin or double falls in the park, but none of them have turned out to be the one I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Brent Parkin
www.extraordinarylight.com

chrisn

• http://www.NicholsonPrints.com
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 12:21:50 pm »

Hi, Brent.

I see that your question hasn't gotten any action, so I figured I'd drop a line. I don't know the ins and outs of Glacier NP (having been there only once), but I can recommend contacting the ranger staff at the park. All the NPS rangers I've ever asked for help from have been fantastic. You can get a phone number (and probably an email address) from the park's website at nps.gov/glac/index.htm.

Good luck. Please let me know how it turns out.

--Chris
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 12:22:02 pm by chrisn »
Chris Nicholson
[url=http://www.Nicholso

Rich Franco

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 07:44:19 pm »

Hello Brent,
 I think the shot of Galen's is actually of "Triple Falls" off the trail/boardwalk behind the Visitor center up on the pass. You can see it off to the left as you head up, about 3/4's of the way to the top. But the best and safest way is to take a left off the boardwalk, once the posted signs allow you to do so and look for a small stream down in the valley and follow it up to the falls. Depending on the amount of rainfall/snow melt, it can be pretty amazing!

Good Luck!
  Rich Franco

bparkin

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 01:44:53 pm »

Thanks Rich, that seems to be the consensus with a few people that have contacted me offline.  I guess now my only issue is deciding if it is safe to wander off that trail early in the morning when there could be Grizzly Bears in the area.

I definitely worry about bears in these places.

Thanks,

Brent

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 02:45:28 pm »

I definitely worry about bears in these places.

I don't want to get too far away from the subject of photography, but as a biologist type person who has worked on bear research I can tell you that you're under a much greater risk of life and limb driving down the highway.  There's a lot of valuable information available on the 'net and probably from your local state or provincial wildlife agency about how to avoid and deal with bear interactions.  Read up, take a few precautions and you'll be fine.  Unless of course you get flattened by a tractor trailer on the way there (yes, I've been a truck driver too...)

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 05:23:38 pm »

Just watch "Grizzly Man."  That should let you know exactly how to deal with bears.

Rich Franco

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 09:11:03 pm »

Brent,
 I'd check in with the rangers when you get there and they'll know if any bears are out and about. Also, ask them the best way to get there from the path/walkway. I remember taking a left off the path after we reached a little climb and there were a few large flat rocks off to the left side going up. This was a little shortcut we took the second time we went.
  I'm not comfortable in bear country either, coming from Florida, but I didn't have any issues the 3 times we were in the bowl near the water falls. It's also a great location for hundreds of small streams,flowers and other macro shots.
 email me for any other info that you might need,
 Rich

webejamn

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 02:10:12 am »

actually i live near glacier national park and was thinking of going to that place tomarrow, however from what i have found i will have to wait a month or so for more snow to melt,
as for bears, there is little to worry about in all reallity, more people die from drowning that all other ways put together, most people that are killed by bears are killed on the east side of the park near two medicine.  if your truely worried about bears buy some bear spray, 40$ and your covered.
i have been up to glacier park close to 30 times this year and i have seen 2 bears one black bear that was close and one griz, that was 1/2 mile away or more, and across a lake.
Pages: [1]   Go Up