Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H3Dii 39MS - Cheapest Mac Multi-Shot solution?  (Read 1455 times)

Dinarius

Hasselblad H3Dii 39MS - Cheapest Mac Multi-Shot solution?
« on: February 29, 2016, 06:21:50 am »

I'm still trying to get Phocus to work on my old(ish) DELL Windows 7 laptop. If I do, then I won't have a problem.

But, I am also considering going the Mac route purely for multi-shot capture on location.

I would still process on my PC desktop back at base.

So, what is my cheapest Mac laptop solution?

I know that the Air is cheaper than the Pro. But, it seems that the Air requires some sort of extra power boost. So, when you add the cost and the hassle of this, is (any) saving worth it?

If I buy a basic Macbook Pro and a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter, am I sorted?

I would be using a cable about 3.5m long.

Thanks.

D.

Theodoros

Re: Hasselblad H3Dii 39MS - Cheapest Mac Multi-Shot solution?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 08:22:18 am »

I'm still trying to get Phocus to work on my old(ish) DELL Windows 7 laptop. If I do, then I won't have a problem.

But, I am also considering going the Mac route purely for multi-shot capture on location.

I would still process on my PC desktop back at base.

So, what is my cheapest Mac laptop solution?

I know that the Air is cheaper than the Pro. But, it seems that the Air requires some sort of extra power boost. So, when you add the cost and the hassle of this, is (any) saving worth it?

If I buy a basic Macbook Pro and a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter, am I sorted?

I would be using a cable about 3.5m long.

Thanks.

D.

Hi, I use my CF-39MS (pretty much the same back as the one you have) on Contax 645 camera with two Macbook pro... One 2011 model with 4core i7 (DDR3 1333) and an even older from 2009 17 inch with dual core (core2 duo -3,06GZ) processor and DDR 3 at 1066mhz.... Connection in both cases is via 5m FW cable (although the i7 does have thunderbolt). I use "Flexcolor" for the multishot captures and "Phocus" only for the single shot captures... Both laptops are very stable and I don't see any difference in performance between them, I prefer the older laptop for multishot work, I still use "Yosemite" on all my Macs (until I'm sure that El Capitan will be the same stable), but I have used all from 2009 Leopard... no difference with any of them... I hope this helps.

EDIT: Note that until 17 months ago, I used an Imacon 528c (almost entirely at 16x mode - 88mp, 528mb per capture files) and also had no difference (up until Mavericks) or any issue related with any of the laptops.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 08:26:40 am by Theodoros »

Joe Towner

Re: Hasselblad H3Dii 39MS - Cheapest Mac Multi-Shot solution?
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 08:17:00 pm »

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MD101LL/A&step=config

Should power the back fine based on other folks, though given what you're seeing, I'd chase the Hasselblad folks a bit to understand why you're seeing the red/blue dots.

t: @PNWMF
Pages: [1]   Go Up