Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: seeking advice: Mamiya RZ 67 pro iid vs. AFD or ??  (Read 1022 times)

kimberlygill

seeking advice: Mamiya RZ 67 pro iid vs. AFD or ??
« on: February 29, 2016, 06:04:43 am »

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to your community, so quick introduction before my question. I have been photographing for about 6 years casually (some free-lance portraiture work) and have decided to go back to school for my masters in photography this fall. I've been using a Mamiya 7ii, which I adored, since I love working with medium format film, and for portraiture and even landscapes, I find this camera just beautiful. However, I just destroyed it thanks to a wave in Indonesia and now a repairman in France is offering me 300 euros for parts. I need to buy a new camera and am debating between the RZ 67 pro iid and the AFD.

I'm going back to school, so my budget is minimal (max 3,000 euros though willing to get used materials obviously, in good condition) but I really would like to still with Mamiya, I know it well, love it, and trust it. I want something with both film and digital capacity. I prefer film but I think at school and professionally, digital will be necessary. It seems like the RZ 67 is best for portraiture, primarily sticking in studio whereas the AFD is a better all around camera. I'm considering it also because even though I'm more drawn to the RZ for it's reviews on portraiture, the AFD has a movie capabilities (and the digital/film back options), which ultimately means it has the 3 main functions I need in one camera, plus is more portable. I don't want to always have to be tethered.

Maybe, I am answering my own question but I wanted to throw this question out to you all for your advice with these materials and acknowledging that I have a lot of experience with the 7ii but not these other two. Is there something I'm missing, that I should be considering?

I thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Theodoros

Re: seeking advice: Mamiya RZ 67 pro iid vs. AFD or ??
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 03:02:47 pm »

Photographers have different needs and different values... None can give you an answer, but one can say what he would do if he was in your position, but to his mind.... I;m the kind of man that: 1. Likes to pay as little as possible, 2. Likes to have equipment that will cope with as many aspects of photography as possible 3.Ilike things simple and under control.... If I was in your place and with the budget that you've set in mind, I would close my eyes and look into the future... I would then wonder, "will I be using a technical camera?...", "will I need a DSLR too?...", "will I add an MFDB next to my film?..."
...and then I would decide on the RZ because of the following:

1. I will be able to use the lenses on my view camera and save money,
2. The AFD is MF but still a DSLR that does things that my 35mm DSLR would also do,
3. I can set a great MF system together for peanuts....

That said, with 3K I would be after the RZ, 3-4 lenses, a 22mp MFDB, a couple of film backs and a view camera... here is a link for a great MFDB for the RZ... http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=108120.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up