Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad CFV Info please  (Read 11572 times)

Terence h

• Terence Hogben Photography
Hasselblad CFV Info please
« on: May 10, 2006, 04:18:53 pm »

I have been using a Kodak SLRn for the last few years, i use it for everything, corporate, food, portraits and products. But sometimes i would like a cleaner file that would enlarge well, for use mostly in the studio , and have been thinking of a medium format back especially after seeing a file from the Sinar 54, M it is not so much the file size but the quality of the file smooth with nice open shadows.

I have seen the Hasselblad CFV press releases and maybe this is the answer for me.
I do have Hassselblad CM and ELM with a few lenses and a Sinar so i would be ready to go, without too much extra cost.

Has anybody used one of these backs, what are the files like, are there any i can download anywhere, maybe a review, what is the street price ?
Oh yes what is the Flexcolor software like and could i use Adobe CS2 for the raw or DNG files.

I would of course be able to shoot untethered unlike the Sinar back i saw, and i could please a few customers who do not like the quality of the Kodak SLRn images (few but important)

Thanks to anybody taking the time out to answer a few of my questions

Terence
Terence Hogben. Durban. South Africa. ht

Terence h

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 08:21:58 am »

Right nobody knows too much about this back, i did a further Google search, and the German ProfiFoto in the May issue has done a test of this back.

Being in South Africa i would not be able to purchase this magazine, so if any German Forum member can let me and any other interested parties know what ProfiFoto think of this back would be great.

The local Hasselblad importer though feels the back is going to sell for $16393 here, motivation to shop outside South Africa.

Regards
Terence Hogben

or i could just wait until Photokina to see what is launched then.

memiP

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 07:21:11 pm »

I saw physically the CFV back at the hasselblad tour in USA, two weeks ago in Washington DC.
It is really nice back and extremly simple operation. No funny wires coming out of it like old digital backs!
Tad heavier than normal A12 but no big deal. 16MP is pretty pratical for everyday working and the files are bigger than DSLR. (about 33mb raw compressed). The images will come out square , about 4000x4000.
It is extremly good idea to have CF cards insted of image bank, less hassle.

From what I understood, You can either work directly to Adobe Photoshop raw and
FelxColor program provided with back.
1GB CF card can hold 45 images. I was told by hasslelbad that you can put 4GB cards.
Plan to use it for portraiture, commerical, arhitectural  work at my studio.
One camera does it all.  
I am still waiting for Hasselblad to deliver the CFV back to my local store and have a demo.

I will report back how good are the files.

MemiP

joerg_glaescher

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 02:25:17 am »

Hey terence,
I did test the back 2 weeks ago.
I always work with hasselblad V system and I was really looking forward to bring my old cameras / CM CW ELM) into the digital future.
I do work as an photojournalist so its lifly important to work with 400 ASA.
I had about 1 hour to test it and.....
The do have to work on it. the files at 400 ASA are useless, no way to work with it. the srceen is too small and dark like hell, and the battery fits under and not in the back. the menu is fine, they do not have ISO 800, its nice to handle. But I think 16 MP is not enough for an MFDB. there will be an 20 MP canon at the end of the year, and there will be none MF leading quality for this back. In germany it will be around 7900 exl.tax and around 9000 inkl. tax.
I dicide to go for the P30, cause of image quality at 800 ASA an the higher resolution.

maybe hasselblad needs some more time for the CFV back. for me the demo back wasn`t worth the money.

Jörg

Terence h

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 04:39:10 am »

Thanks Joerg and MemiP, yes my local importer had the price of the P30 very close to what the CFV
back was, but shooting mostly still life and wide angle stuff is not what Phase One say the P30 is suited too.

Probably the P25 or P21 would be more what i need, but you know i have got so used to using 35mm
digital with the Kodak SLRn maybe i should wait for the New Canon, or die holding my breath for FULL frame Nikon.

Regards
Terence Hogben
Pages: [1]   Go Up