Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Best of the Bunch  (Read 95133 times)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: Best of the Bunch
« Reply #120 on: July 04, 2016, 06:51:13 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS1Kl7gTeko

Guess you just can't do it alone anymore...

It's all a show, and has been for quite some time...

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2016, 04:30:46 am »

Yes, it's certainly a show, but the trouble is, the end results take a lot more than one guy working alone with his model can give anymore. And like 'em or not, some are quite spectacular.

I suppose that what's happened is that the magazines have realised that putting 'making-ofs' onto the Internet increases the coverage that both magazine and product get.

In the process, stars have been confirmed and reputations enshrined in golden armour. If you're not to be seen taking part in the game, then you don't exist. I get the feeling there is a lot more fear stalking these studio gatherings nowadays.

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2016, 05:57:05 am »

Higher stakes, greater rewards for those inside, nothing for those outside. The way of globalisation.

But yes, impressive results: the word "sculptural" popped out, and there really is that dramatic greater-than-real-life graphical impact. Something about photographing scenes that are almost monochrome in colour, too, the black girls with blacker make-up with platinum hair.

Not much humanity though, more about sublimation of sex into shopping: the women didn't look so much sexy as alluring products. I doubt any of them shared a cup of tea with Mario.

Rob C

« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2016, 06:40:16 am »

Higher stakes, greater rewards for those inside, nothing for those outside. The way of globalisation.

But yes, impressive results: the word "sculptural" popped out, and there really is that dramatic greater-than-real-life graphical impact. Something about photographing scenes that are almost monochrome in colour, too, the black girls with blacker make-up with platinum hair.

Not much humanity though, more about sublimation of sex into shopping: the women didn't look so much sexy as alluring products. I doubt any of them shared a cup of tea with Mario.

Only wondering, but how about a line of snow?

It's a bit worrying, that notion of women as alluring products: do women who buy these magazines and/or cosmetics really feel they want to give up their identities? Perhaps some do - but I wonder just how many. My wife always used to say that she was never influenced by advertising, yet she did often buy some of the things that we'd photograph for knitwear companies; maybe seeing 'in the flesh' as it were, and ahead of the pack, might have held a selling point for her. Whatever, one of the ladies working at Reception of one such client used to laugh when Ann and I turned up to buy something... she used to remark that we were bringing all the fees back home. And nobody felt that was a bit presumptuous nor even slightly OTT; some reationships worked so well. Except that they closed the doors. For a last season or two they attempted to save money by manufacturing some lines in Hong Kong. It wasn't enough. So in one fell swoop, bang went two seasonal shoots a year for them on some Med island.

Of course, they were independent until the end, but others were simply bought up by larger English clothing groups and manufacturing and publicity went south - a  very old story that irks, but one can understand the reasons why: survival and/or money from selling out before the bailiffs come acalling. But there you go - get into one of these imagined glamour industries and you fly on gossamer wings, dreading impact even with flies. But whilst you're airborne...

;-)

Rob

P.S.

Cups of tea: you must despair of me: too early in the morning for my head to function, but I'm sure Jeanloup would understand and forgive!
;-)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 10:19:06 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #124 on: July 09, 2016, 03:32:21 pm »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #125 on: July 09, 2016, 04:07:08 pm »

Great stuff Rob. Best advice by Elliott: "Do photography as a hobby and get a day job."

He's always been one of my favorites. A great sense of humor.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #126 on: July 09, 2016, 05:05:06 pm »

"Do photography as a hobby and get a day job."

And
"I find the art world particularly boring"

I was just reading a story in The Guardian about William Eggleston, and it occurs to me that artist biographies tend to be standard narratives, like moral tales:
"Young aimless rebel has revelatory moment, but his work is initially reviled. However talent wll out, and his works now sell for $XXX."

Rob C

« Reply #127 on: July 09, 2016, 05:36:45 pm »

And
"I find the art world particularly boring"

I was just reading a story in The Guardian about William Eggleston, and it occurs to me that artist biographies tend to be standard narratives, like moral tales:
"Young aimless rebel has revelatory moment, but his work is initially reviled. However talent wll out, and his works now sell for $XXX."

I've tried, watched several videos, but find our William too far beyond my appetites.

I think some things look dull because they are dull; no amount of photographing makes them less dull. But he's cool, in a sort of non-communicative manner. Looking at him, he just has to be American. There's a bearing. I'm not very good at reading these things, but my wife always was. My mother-in-law was uncanny in her ability to nail a person's age. Women have superior powers of observation and deduction. I suppose it comes from being female: they need better, faster abilities to read situations. Oh well, seems we'll soon have another one steering our politics; thus, two at the helm: one heading the political side and another the national identity. I'd really have loved to have been a fly on the wall when the Queen heard the Brexit result.

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #128 on: July 09, 2016, 07:00:48 pm »

For completeness, here is the link:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/jul/08/made-in-memphis-william-eggleston

"...blew apart American photography."

Yes. Right.

Some of his images I find enjoyably gothic, although not the blood-coloured ceiling. More the less saturated Fading South portraits.

Rob C

« Reply #129 on: August 03, 2016, 11:25:41 am »

Not photographic, but pretty wonderful nonetheless, and new to me, Make a great sondtrack to shooting some nudes in a darkened room, curtains floating gently against the outer light. Once the girl has dropped off to sleep, I would have a cup of tea ( ;-) ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svQEi5n8GRA&list=RDsvQEi5n8GRA#t=41

Rob C

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2016, 05:50:27 pm »

Quick quiz: who can identify the photographer and the model. Both are famous, but not in this context :-)

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2016, 07:45:00 pm »

Quick quiz: who can identify the photographer and the model. Both are famous, but not in this context :-)

Google can...

Right-click on an image, select "Search Google for image", and -- voila. This time, the answer is right at the top, since, yeah, both were famous.

But I won't spoil your quick quiz, I did not know the answer!

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2016, 07:58:05 pm »

Cartier-Bresson. That's his wife (second wife) Martine Franck. And I didn't need to look it up.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2016, 08:01:37 pm »

Google can...

Right-click on an image, select "Search Google for image", and -- voila. This time, the answer is right at the top, since, yeah, both were famous.

But I won't spoil your quick quiz, I did not know the answer!
That seems to be limited to the Chrome browser. Doesn't work on IE or Firefox.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2016, 09:12:26 pm »

That seems to be limited to the Chrome browser. Doesn't work on IE or Firefox.

As to context menu -- right, that is Chrome-specific.

However, in any browser you can do this:

1. Go to google.com.

2. Search for anything... just anything at all.

3. On the result page, switch to the Images tab (second one, after All); now camera silhouette appears next to the magnifying glass icon in the right corner of the search box (step #2, above, is necessary because if you just go to Google and switch to Image search, camera silhouette/icon does not appear for whatever reason).

4. Click on it; a pop-up box appears with options to enter an image by its URL, or by uploading it.

What Chrome does through "Search for an Image" context menu item is just a shortcut for the search by URL. Its algorithm of searching for "similar images" is pretty good; yes, sometimes returns garbage, but sometimes is just uncanny... It's the same thing found in Google Goggles Android app.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2016, 06:37:39 am »

And I didn't need to look it up.

Bravo :-)

"Martine, I'd like to come look at your contact sheets"

Yes, the right-click-> search google images is very useful :-)

I took it from this article, whose text didn't impress me much... but there is a series of 14 photos by Franck of H C-B and vice versa.

http://time.com/3449917/henri-cartier-bresson-and-martine-franck-love-through-a-lens/

Rob C

« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2016, 06:02:12 am »

An interesting take on "Artists' Statements":

http://photographyinterviews.blogspot.com.es/2009/04/saul-leiter-quiet-iconoclast-saul.html

Many could profit from the lessons within this little piece!

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2016, 12:44:38 pm »

http://photographyinterviews.blogspot.com.es/2009/04/saul-leiter-quiet-iconoclast-saul.html

Wonderful.

What was the biggest challenge in developing a personal style?
I wasn’t challenged. The style, if there is any, was just the result of working in photography. I wasn’t immersed in challenges.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2016, 12:53:14 pm »

Ummm, for me... well, nope. You lost me here Peter:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 03:53:54 pm by GrahamBy »

Rob C

« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2016, 03:17:14 pm »

Ummm, for me... well, nope. You most me here Peter:

Reminds me of Mr Lindbergh...

;-)