Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about gamut on matte canvas  (Read 1160 times)

iCanvas

Question about gamut on matte canvas
« on: February 24, 2016, 08:04:07 pm »

The Epson P9000 has green and orange inks and a 14% increase in gamut over the P8000 and the P20000, at least according to my Epson rep. I print mostly on matte canvas and wonder if I will be able to take advantage of that increased gamut on a more coarse surface like matte canvas, than say a smooth luster paper. My Epson rep said that Epson was releasing soon a 44" version of the P20000, like within a week. It seems Epson put more technology into the P20000 and a redesigned chassis. If the P20000 and the P9000 would produce similar prints on matte canvas I would be inclined to go with the 44" version of the P20000. I am impressed by the speed of the P20000 printer. I presently have a 9900 and have had a 4880. I didn't see much of a difference between prints off either printer using matte canvas. Recently I used third party inks with my 4880 and it permanently clogged. I had that 4880 for 7 years. Won't ever buy 3rd party inks again. Would like any input on taking advantage of the increased gamut on matte canvas. Thanks,

Gar

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Question about gamut on matte canvas
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 10:17:20 pm »

I don't think the green and orange will help much on the gamut of the matte ink.  They don't do anything for matte prints on the 9900.  I have read that the yellow on the new 9000 has better lifeproofness, and that may help.  The green and orange are mainly for proofing needs as I understand it.  In 1 year, with quite a bit of volume for me 25 rolls of 44" canvas and 12 rolls of 24, then paper work, I am still on 1/2 or so of the 150ml orange and green that I installed last Jan.  The ink is barely used, I base this on volumes of the others inks I have gone through. 

Matte by nature seems to have a much narrower gamut, at least from the profiles I have viewed and created, and by what I see in soft proofing. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

iCanvas

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 08:48:29 am »

Thanks for your input Paul. 99% of the time I print artist reproductions and not photographs.

Gar

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 10:09:46 am »

Hi Gar,

I can't tell you what the exact numbers are, but in my experience over several years with the Epson 9900----the Orange and Green inks are used regularly, albeit not quite as fast as the other liquid gold Epson colors... ::)  I buy and recycle mostly 350ml carts through Tastar Supply.  The additional inks changes how the colors are laid down (longevity); I think I'd be most interested in the new yellow on the new printers.

I do printing for artists and photographers as well.

Ken

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 10:38:28 am »

Ken,

I see you are recycling (Good) Are you pulling the ink out of those carts?
If you aren't then they are for sure.
Get yourself a set of empties from Ink Owl or Jon Cone if you do not have them.
I have the Ink Owl 700ml with bags similar to the OEM.
Take a syringe and draw the ink out of the so called empties. I get from 20 to 40 ml from just about every empty that will not print.
That ink normally gets disposed of by you in one way or another.
A little work involved but you are still use OEM ink and you drop drastically your cost per ml.
I do the same thing with my OEM carts for my 3880, same ink.
Attached picture is of 700ml carts all with reclaimed OEM K3 inks from different printers.

Sorry, slightly off topic.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 10:54:04 am by Dan Berg »
Pages: [1]   Go Up