Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to size Photos in Lightroom for printing output  (Read 3735 times)

free2australian

Unable to size Photos in Lightroom for printing output
« on: February 24, 2016, 01:09:04 am »

I have Lightroom CC.  I have been requested to send 2 photos at a size of 50MB each for printing for a  a magazine to print

No matter what I try I am unable to achieve nearly enough MB for their requirements- -

The Camera I used is a Nikon D700 - I have tried sending the original size , I have tried put in 50MB  unchecked the  resize to fit in the image resizing  box - however nothing seems to end up as 50MB .  The largest I have managed to get out is 16MB and this is in Tiff.

I would be grateful if somebody can provide me with the exact information I should insert  within the export module .  I would be grateful if you don't give me what equals to what - just does not make sense to me - I am no mathematician.  see attachment

thank you

Sue

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: Unable to size Photos in Lightroom for printing output
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 02:56:07 am »

I have Lightroom CC.  I have been requested to send 2 photos at a size of 50MB each for printing for a  a magazine to print

Your export dialog is requesting a file of 50 Mpx (megapixels not megabytes).  Check the length x width dimensions of your output file; that should indeed be what you are getting.  Is that what your publisher wants?

I don't know any way to coax Lightroom into exporting a file of a specific size in megabytes and, frankly, I can't imagine why you (or your publisher) would want to do so.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 04:05:32 am »

Ask for clarification about the requirements. It is not right (IMHO) to ask for a specific file size, especially if you are working with JPEGs.

Specific requirements:

a) Pixel dimensions
b) Format (e.g. Tiff, jpeg)
c) compressed / uncompressed

- If what they require is "Document size" then is the image size X channels (colors) X bytes per pixel

Example, your D700 uncropped is 4,256 X 2,832 Pixels = 12,052,992 Pixels, Has 3 channels, (R, G, B). If you produce a 16 bits (2 bytes) Tiff, then you have:

Document size: 12,052,992 x 3 x 2 = 72,317,952 or approximately 70MB. This would be also the file size if you export (or save in PS) a 16 bit Tiff uncompressed

- Second case: if they require an "Image size" of 50 MPixels (which I doubt), then you would need to upsample so that the pixel dimensions multiply to 50 Mpixels. For an image with 2:3 aspect ratio, it would be about 8661 x 5774 pixels. Doing this is kind of nonsense, because you cannot create details that were not in the original file.

- To get a 8 bit jpeg file of 50MB you would need to upsample to something between 15,000 to 20,000 pixels in the largest dimension, which is complete nonsense anyway.

free2australian

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 06:24:06 am »

thank for your response.   I have no idea what upsample means in relation to Lightroom export module as there is not option for this?

I have copied and and pasted the section of their email for your information requesting the size information see below:

"Unfortunately I've just had feedback from our supplier that your images are far too small for them to be able to create high quality A3 prints for you of your winning images.

Could you please re-send your images to me and make sure they are around 50MB?  "

Since posting this question on the forum I have changed the longest size dimensions and output size is 50.7MB on disk see attachment.

be grateful for you feedback

thank you

Sue

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 06:29:14 am »

thank for your response.   I have no idea what upsample means in relation to Lightroom export module as there is not option for this?

I have copied and and pasted the section of their email for your information requesting the size information see below:

"Unfortunately I've just had feedback from our supplier that your images are far too small for them to be able to create high quality A3 prints for you of your winning images.

Could you please re-send your images to me and make sure they are around 50MB?  "

How are you delivering the files to them. If you are sending by e-mail then the files are possibly being resized by your e-mail provider.

Since posting this question on the forum I have changed the longest size dimensions and output size is 50.7MB on disk see attachment.

thank you

Sue
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 07:53:59 am »

thank you

Sue

Hi, upsample is just resizing to a bigger size than the original. In Lightroom you speecify a size and make sure the box "Don't Enlarge" is unticked, but It seems that you have already accomplished that.

Anyway, there is no sense in resizing that much for an A3 print and you can certainly produce a high quality A3 print from a good D700 photo

I would  have suggested the following settings:

Format: Tiff 16 bits
Color space: AdobeRGB
Longest dimension around 5100 pixels, that should exceed 300 dpi in A3

From your post, it seems that you are not dealing directly with the printer but with an intermediary who does not seem to know much about digital printing

kirkt

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 07:54:48 am »

thank you

Sue

Have you taken Francisco's advice and contacted the folks responsible for this job to find out their requirements for pixel dimensions, file format/bitness and whether compression is permitted?  It seems like you should speak with the printer, or request the specifications from the printer.  File size alone tells you very little about the pixels in the file and their ability to make a specific-sized print.

I submitted a print job one time that had about 21000 px on the long edge - that was a spherical panoramic image for a 20ft x 8ft dye sub, highly detailed backdrop for a trade booth!

Kirk

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 08:49:35 am »

Format: Tiff 16 bits
Color space: AdobeRGB
Longest dimension around 5100 pixels, that should exceed 300 dpi in A3
I'm not sure the advice to send in AdobeRGB is good. If the person dealing with the printing has so little understanding of the subject that they ask for 50mb, sending in sRGB would be a safer bet.

free2australian

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 05:43:06 pm »

thank you for that I found that the Tiff format out put is 98MB which is much to big - I am leaving as JPEG as indicated in my last attachment at the dimensions indicated resulting in the  required 50MB.

sue

EricV

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 08:23:00 pm »

The original image out of your camera should have been 4256 pixels wide x 2832 pixels tall, for a total of around 12 million pixels.  This would be more than enough for good reproduction purposes.  Can you check the original image and see if this is true? 

You probably somehow managed to compress or resize the file severely when you first exported it.  Can you reproduce what you did then and show us?  This resulted in a complaint that the image was too small, followed by bad instructions to increase the file size.

Now in a misguided attempt to hit some image size target in megabytes, you have managed to export a file which is 21000 pixels wide by 13977 pixels tall, for a total of around 293 million pixels!  This is certainly not what is wanted and will probably be unusable by the publisher.

free2australian

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 09:22:26 pm »

Hi Eric

You make a lot of sense, thank you.

In the attachments to this reply you will see screen shots of the exported file to my desktop using Nikon D700 exported  to the D700 original dimensions being 4,256 X 2,832 - The exported file size is 8.1 MB as well as a screen shot of the export module as exported

Also I  have attached a screen shot of the file within Lightroom shown that it the photo is the original size.

Just to add I have found that in Lightroom the editing process changes the the size constantly - as more and more pixels are lost in the process.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 04:57:24 am »

Just to add I have found that in Lightroom the editing process changes the the size constantly - as more and more pixels are lost in the process.
You'll only 'lose' pixels if you crop the picture, either via the crop tool itself or by applying geometric image changes in the lens correction panel and containing the image by cropping.

Even then the original RAW file image stays completely unchanged, that's the whole point of parametric editing.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 01:25:47 pm »

I think I may know what the problem might be.  When a JPG is created on a Mac it creates two files, the data file and a smaller preview file for the file icon.  Sometimes these two files get separated in the email system and the data file gets mislaid or deleted by security protection software.

It may be, therefore, that your supplier is viewing the smaller preview file and not the data file.  In the past the way to get round this was to open the image in Photoshop and then use 'Save for web…' which removes the preview file.  I'm sorry but I don't know how to do this in Lightroom.
Pages: [1]   Go Up