Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Move or copy Lightroom settings from one image to another/new database  (Read 958 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography

I have a question I'm not sure I've ever seen addressed, and may not even be possible.

I like to keep separate databases of my images. For instance, I keep my commercial portfolio images in one database, my fine art landscape in another.

Recently, I merged a database of Ireland images with a general travel database. No issues. I've worked with it that way for about a year. Unfortunately, I had a brain freeze last night and worked for a couple hours on some images in the "old" travel database. The same images reside in my Ireland & Travel database. I REALLY don't want to have to reproduce my work on those few images.

My question: is there some way to "port" over to the new database the various settings and adjustments I did in the older database?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Move or copy Lightroom settings from one image to another/new database
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 09:58:56 am »

When you say "database", do you mean "catalogue"? On that assumption....

In the "old" catalogue, select images you've edited and do Ctrl S (Cmd S if on Mac). In the new catalogue, select them and do Metadata > Read Metadata from File. That's it. Note that "old" adjustments and metadata will overwrite those in the new catalogue.

Alternatively, select them and File > Export to Catalog and create a small temporary catalogue on your desktop. Leave all options unchecked. Then in the new catalogue, use File > import from Another Catalogue. This will pick up more work - eg flags, history steps - than the other method.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 10:39:13 am »

Thanks John. This should help. I'll try the "small group" export since it contains more info, etc. Does this then overwrite the files of the same name, or creates duplicates?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 10:53:55 am »

Thanks John. This should help. I'll try the "small group" export since it contains more info, etc. Does this then overwrite the files of the same name, or creates duplicates?

It overwrites (updates), though there is an option to create virtual copies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up