Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony FE PZ 28-135mm f/4 - OR - Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 G Master????  (Read 2640 times)

Jonas

Sony FE PZ 28-135mm f/4 - OR - Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 G Master????
« on: February 22, 2016, 11:03:23 pm »

I recently bought a Sony A7RII, and temporarily just an FE 28 f/2. I was planning on buying the Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 G Master when it becomes available in May. This was all a big monetary splurge for me, getting newly serious about fine art still photography, including landscapes.

I volunteered on this basis to do a fund raising gig for a non-profit group that supports over 1000 homeless kids who attend Santa Fe, NM Public Schools. I initially volunteered to take fine art still portraits of some smaller number of the kids willing to come out of the closet as being homeless. A gallery event and book would theoretically follow for the stills. This is exciting important help for awareness and fundraising for this group. It will be a bunch of work, but I'm ready. The already planned purchase of the G Master lens was going to be a key.

Then, waking at 3AM this morning, I realized that the time I will have with those kids will also be a profound opportunity to interview on video, and possibly go out of my studio to places like the arroyos where some of the teen boys sleep before going to school. That's even more work, but what an opportunity for a documentary!

That makes me re-think my lens choice: Sony FE PZ 28-135mm f/4 - OR - Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 G Master???? I probably only can afford one or the other. I can still return my just purchased FE 2.8 f/2, and only live for the next year or two with the PZ 28-135.

Here are my questions:

Michael Reichmann, in his review, says "The PZ 28–135mm lens is not just for video; it is eminently usable for shooting stills." BUT, how would it compare to the FE 70-200 f/2.8 G Master for stills? I expect ultra high DXOmark sharpness and transmission ratings for the G-Master lens. But, DXOmark never tested the PZ. I'd guess that the PZ would test out about like the FE 70-200 f/4, but that's just a guess. That guess makes the G-Master the winner for stills, but I'd always wonder by how much. Plus, I was looking forward to the greater reach of the 70-200, plus 2x TC.

The FE 70-200 f/2.8 G Master Sony promo claims it will handle focus breathing well. However, I was not able to find any mention of whether it will be parfocal for video. Does anyone know or can anyone make an educated projection? By the way, I'll probably mostly use video AF on either lens, and I have a feeling that with two AF motors, the G-Master might be a touch better with video AF than the PZ. But, I guess parfocal capability would be a big question.

I have limited funds. I can generally get one or the other. My heart is mostly with still photography now. However, video on the above described project is something that I feel obliged to not miss out on. What thought do you all have about how I should make this choice?
Pages: [1]   Go Up