Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nik Suite's Structure vs PS  (Read 2882 times)

StarScapes

Nik Suite's Structure vs PS
« on: February 22, 2016, 10:59:30 pm »

In the Nik suite of tools there is a command named Structure which pulls out an impressive amount of detail. Has anyone tried to recreate Structure's effect in PS? I'm guessing its a combination of USM and High Pass sharpening in PS but I haven't been able to recreate what Structure does yet.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Nik Suite's Structure vs PS
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 08:24:01 am »

A few options to consider,

In Photoshop or LR, with raw, you can use the clarity or Dehaze sliders to gain a similar effect.  To my eye's Nik's structure slider lends to the 3D over done HDR effect pretty quickly.  This is pretty old software now, last updated over 4 years or so ago, as Google has done nothing to the software that I am aware of besides making a free version of for the iPhone. 

You can look at Capture One, by Phase One, as it has a structure slider that can help define distant focus. 

Since I moved to Topaz clarity, I just don't use Nik anymore.  Topaz Clarity (don't let the name fool you) can give a excellent range of control over a file and the output be made to look very similar to Nik's. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

StarScapes

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 09:37:47 am »

To my eye's Nik's structure slider lends to the 3D over done HDR effect pretty quickly.

Yes, a little bit goes a long way! The clarity slider in ACR wasn't giving me the same effect but I'll try it and dehaze again.

Thank you for the Topaz Clarity suggestion but my goal is to figure out how to do the same thing in PS.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 10:03:13 am »

Yes, a little bit goes a long way! The clarity slider in ACR wasn't giving me the same effect but I'll try it and dehaze again.

Thank you for the Topaz Clarity suggestion but my goal is to figure out how to do the same thing in PS.

Hi,

Probably something similar to one or more High-pass filtered adjustment layers with appropriate blending mode would allow to do something that addresses structural detail.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

stamper

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 10:35:18 am »

A few options to consider,

In Photoshop or LR, with raw, you can use the clarity or Dehaze sliders to gain a similar effect.  To my eye's Nik's structure slider lends to the 3D over done HDR effect pretty quickly.  This is pretty old software now, last updated over 4 years or so ago, as Google has done nothing to the software that I am aware of besides making a free version of for the iPhone. 

You can look at Capture One, by Phase One, as it has a structure slider that can help define distant focus. 

Since I moved to Topaz clarity, I just don't use Nik anymore.  Topaz Clarity (don't let the name fool you) can give a excellent range of control over a file and the output be made to look very similar to Nik's. 

Paul C

Because something is over 4 years old doesn't mean that it is inferior? I use Nik structure and Topaz clarity and personally speaking I prefer the Nik rendering.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 10:39:36 am »

I've not really used the Nik "Structure" feature in the past - thanks for pointing it out.

As others said, there is some similarity in effect to the LR/ACR "clarity", although I notice that in plain image areas, at high levels Structure can introduce quite a bit of noise.  This is more noticeable than with clarity adjustment, but perhaps because the range of adjustment is larger with structure. 

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 12:22:40 pm »

Because something is over 4 years old doesn't mean that it is inferior? I use Nik structure and Topaz clarity and personally speaking I prefer the Nik rendering.

Yes, to me it means it's possible that other more modern software tools may provide a better solution.  If it works for you then of course that is great.  I was a huge user of all the Nik tools until I tried Topaz's suite, for me the later works better albeit Nik does provide an automatic layer for the results, Topaz has never figured this out.

On the flip side, I fully can see your point as two of the more advanced additional features are broken, (HDR and pano merge), and Adobe seems in no hurry to address them, the HDR issue has been there since inception of the HDR tool.  (excessive noise in HDR if max de-ghosting is selected).  Nik tools have always been very solid. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

stamper

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 03:48:44 am »

Yes, to me it means it's possible that other more modern software tools may provide a better solution.  If it works for you then of course that is great.  I was a huge user of all the Nik tools until I tried Topaz's suite, for me the later works better albeit Nik does provide an automatic layer for the results, Topaz has never figured this out.

On the flip side, I fully can see your point as two of the more advanced additional features are broken, (HDR and pano merge), and Adobe seems in no hurry to address them, the HDR issue has been there since inception of the HDR tool.  (excessive noise in HDR if max de-ghosting is selected).  Nik tools have always been very solid. 

Paul C

Nik doesn't have a financial interest to add new features unlike Topaz. The Nik collection - I forget the cost - was an absolute bargain when it was purchased so I don't lament the lack of up dates.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 07:37:29 am »

Nik doesn't have a financial interest to add new features unlike Topaz. The Nik collection - I forget the cost - was an absolute bargain when it was purchased so I don't lament the lack of up dates.

Point made.  You seem hung up on my statement about being 4 years old. No offense was intended.  I am still using win7 for most of my machines. It's over 4 years old but gets the job done. And I don't plan to move anytime soon.

Nik exists no more they are owned by Google so as I stated earlier if it works as it is at 4 years old with no enhancements or future improvements for you it's the right tool as it is for me in certain cases.

Eventually OS and hardware improvements will pass the current level of development of Nik to where the software will have issues and possibly not load. The cost for many was 0.0 as when Google took over they gave it away for free for months. 

For me it was a simple decision to move on as I found the Topaz tools better for my workflow.   

Paul C

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up