Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H with my new folding Waist Level Finder  (Read 11245 times)

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
Hasselblad H with my new folding Waist Level Finder
« on: February 22, 2016, 07:53:40 pm »

So I love working with WLF when I am shooting for myself but I am not fond of the Hasselblad fixed finder for the H series.  It makes the camera a pain to put in any kind of bag or carry around.  So just for fun I ordered a top cover and cut the middle portion out.  I attached a V series folding WLF to this with gaffers tape.  (the last picture in the series shows masking tape...that was a test to see alignment...)  I went with gaffers for the moment to see how it all works before doing anything more permanent. 

So...its a bit goofy looking...but it works great.  I can take off the WLF just as easy as removing the top cap so I can still use my standard viewfinder when i'm working.  Folds and releases fine.  Nice that it weighs less and takes less space than the standard finder.  Autofocus is a nice perk with the WLF... back to manual metering though when I am using it.  No big deal.  The H screen is really bright and a pleasure to use.  Not the strongest screen for manual focus...but it's fine.  And I can shoot both digital and film with it.  Actually, the cutout matches the masking for my P45 perfectly!

Again, this was just do it for fun kinda thing.  It would be nice if they actually offered a folding finder for the H series that locked on.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
Re: Hasselblad H with my new folding Waist Level Finder
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 07:55:38 pm »

So I love working with WLF when I am shooting for myself but I am not fond of the Hasselblad fixed finder for the H series.  It makes the camera a pain to put in any kind of bag or carry around.  So just for fun I ordered a top cover and cut the middle portion out.  I attached a V series folding WLF to this with gaffers tape.  (the last picture in the series shows masking tape...that was a test to see alignment...)  I went with gaffers for the moment to see how it all works before doing anything more permanent. 

So...its a bit goofy looking...but it works great.  I can take off the WLF just as easy as removing the top cap so I can still use my standard viewfinder when i'm working.  Folds and releases fine.  Nice that it weighs less and takes less space than the standard finder.  Autofocus is a nice perk with the WLF... back to manual metering though when I am using it.  No big deal.  The H screen is really bright and a pleasure to use.  Not the strongest screen for manual focus...but it's fine.  And I can shoot both digital and film with it.  Actually, the cutout matches the masking for my P45 perfectly! (the last pic is pre-cap attachment so you still see the mask)

Again, this was just do it for fun kinda thing.  It would be nice if they actually offered a folding finder for the H series that locked on.
Tony

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 08:11:24 pm »

Nice going. If you do something more permanent, maybe a 3D printed adapter, please post.

I hacked my V Hasselblad folding finder by removing the glass loupe plate and inserting a flat Fresnel reading lens that I bought in some mall. For me this was a big improvement. You might find this idea useful. I think there are also some super-luminous focus screens around somewhere.

Back in the days when, I asked the Hassy CEO why they didn't have an H vertical finder, and he said no money. I think they did the cheapest design they could and never revisited the issue.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 08:31:35 pm »

You know that was a thought that crossed my mind.  I believe a friend of mine, a jeweler, has a 3D printer to assist in his mold making.  I should call him up.  The frame seems like a pretty simple object.  Maybe on top can be added a groove to slide the viewfinder into. 
Tony

eronald

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 08:42:34 pm »

You know that was a thought that crossed my mind.  I believe a friend of mine, a jeweler, has a 3D printer to assist in his mold making.  I should call him up.  The frame seems like a pretty simple object.  Maybe on top can be added a groove to slide the viewfinder into.

Maybe you could use a substractive 3D CAD machine, I think they are called mills or routers; metalworks shops have them - your friend will know.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

mitchino

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 06:29:22 am »

I would love a 45° finder for my H.

landscapephoto

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 12:07:51 pm »

This is a pretty good idea. I think I will copy it... Thanks!

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 03:54:15 pm »

Just for reference...a sharp box cutter was used to cut the middle section out of the cap.  Its only the portion that is elevated out.  Work very slowly, and be careful where you apply pressure.  You don't want to split the outter frame by accident.  There was no "cutting through" in a pass.  It was repeated cuts until it worked through and then repeated for each side.  There might be much better ways of doing that...

I can post a picture of that if you would like.
Tony

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 09:51:18 pm »

The V refuses to die.  It's a sad unfortunate fact that Hasselblad stop believin' long time ago!
Fans never did!
Eduardo

Endeavour

NickT

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 10:13:47 pm »

The V refuses to die.  It's a sad unfortunate fact that Hasselblad stop believin' long time ago!
Fans never did!
Eduardo

What do you mean by this? Hasselblad are still making backs that fir the V series...

landscapephoto

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 01:46:40 am »

http://www.hasselblad.com/accessories/medium-format/hvm-viewfinder

?

That official finder does not fold. It is a square tube of plastic and makes the camera very inconvenient to store when attached.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 02:43:53 pm »

It also has the magnifier as "On" be default.  It swings off to just see the screen.  So then you have a hinged magnifier hanging there.  On the V series finder, the magnifier is flat and sits flush on the inside on the VF.  It swings out with the press of a button.  I am sure the magnifier on the HVM is probably better.  The V-mag is very positional based on your eye point...but ide rather take that can a locked chimney. 

In reality, the H series is autofocus.  If I need to compose from a knee level or lower, I usually just take the viewfinder off and compose like that.  Then I shoot tethered anyways.  I rarely use the Hasselblad for personal shooting.  It's strictly a paid work camera.  I love it though, and having it as a smaller package is fun sometimes.  I've been shooting more film with it too.  I should probably just get a 500 series to go along with it.  I wish there was an adapter for H and V backs to work across platform.  I only have an H mount digital back.
Tony

Joe Towner

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 03:30:03 pm »

What do you mean by this? Hasselblad are still making backs that fir the V series...

As in Hasselblad stopped anything body/lens related to the V series.  The backs are self contained, and fairly easy to do.
t: @PNWMF

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 04:36:56 pm »

The HVM is so basic it is embarrassing to use it. When it is fitted, you are restricted to manual exposure, IIRC.

Did I read that H have a new model coming out this year? Maybe, they will have to supply a proper folding finder to compete with P1's XF's folding finder?
Roger

Nice going. If you do something more permanent, maybe a 3D printed adapter, please post.

I hacked my V Hasselblad folding finder by removing the glass loupe plate and inserting a flat Fresnel reading lens that I bought in some mall. For me this was a big improvement. You might find this idea useful. I think there are also some super-luminous focus screens around somewhere.

Back in the days when, I asked the Hassy CEO why they didn't have an H vertical finder, and he said no money. I think they did the cheapest design they could and never revisited the issue.

Edmund
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 05:27:34 pm »

A new one would be awesome...too bad it most likely still won't have metering.  It's cool that P1 integrated that from the beginning.
Tony

Joe Towner

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 05:30:06 pm »

The HVM is so basic it is embarrassing to use it. When it is fitted, you are restricted to manual exposure, IIRC.

Did I read that H have a new model coming out this year? Maybe, they will have to supply a proper folding finder to compete with P1's XF's folding finder?
Roger

The meter for the XF is a part of their honeycomb af stuff - so behind the mirror.  The HVD 90x has the meter in the removable viewfinder.  Neither system has a hot shoe with their waist level viewfinder, though the XF does have builtin Profoto Air (limited currently, but they're working on it).
t: @PNWMF

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2016, 07:57:49 pm »

They stop manufacturing everything in the system but the CFV's and even with them, they have failed to offer a rotating sensor to shoot the V camera as it was meant to be used.

eronald

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 11:00:46 pm »

They stop manufacturing everything in the system but the CFV's and even with them, they have failed to offer a rotating sensor to shoot the V camera as it was meant to be used.

Ummm, I am just an equipment abuser and not a real photographer, but I have owned two V system Hasselblads, and those I had shot square frames, not vertical ones. Make my day, and tell me there was a magazine for verticals.

Edmund
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:04:00 pm by eronald »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 01:17:17 am »

Hi,

I guess that we are going to live with rectangular backs or large crop factors.

The P45+ back I have can be vertically mounted. One day I perhaps buy a 90 degree viewfinder and an L-plate.

Best regards
Erik

Ummm, I am just an equipment abuser and not a real photographer, but I have owned two V system Hasselblads, and those I had shot square frames, not vertical ones. Make my day, and tell me there was a magazine for verticals.

Edmund
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up