Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick release solution for tripod legs + head?  (Read 2787 times)

kayakfari

• Kayakfari.com : (Kayak-far-i) :: Fitness, Adventure & Art on the High Seas!
Quick release solution for tripod legs + head?
« on: February 22, 2016, 03:19:29 pm »

NOT a quick release for the camera, but a quick release for the tripod head itself.

Tripod legs have a standard 3/8" male thread on top. When using a gimbal head, I have to keep it separate from the pod for transport.

It's kinda of a pain to keep screwing it (pun intended) on and off.

Is there a quick release type solution for easy mounting and removal of said gimbal head from tripod?

BRH

Re: Quick release solution for tripod legs + head?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 03:56:19 pm »

I use a Manfrotto 394 low profile quick release adapter to attach my Manfrotto gimbal head.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 04:06:58 pm »

NOT a quick release for the camera, but a quick release for the tripod head itself.

Tripod legs have a standard 3/8" male thread on top. When using a gimbal head, I have to keep it separate from the pod for transport.

It's kinda of a pain to keep screwing it (pun intended) on and off.

Is there a quick release type solution for easy mounting and removal of said gimbal head from tripod?

Put one of these on the bottom of each of your heads:

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TH-DVTL-55-Round-Dovetail-Plate

Then put a simple clamp plate, with or without a leveler, on the top of your legs.

Jim

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 04:15:47 pm »

Hi,

I have this on all my tripods and heads. Works great!

Downside is that first I pay a lot of money for a carbon fibre tripod to get it lighter than I add a lot of weight to make it more practical…

Best regards
Erik

Put one of these on the bottom of each of your heads:

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TH-DVTL-55-Round-Dovetail-Plate

Then put a simple clamp plate, with or without a leveler, on the top of your legs.

Jim
Erik Kaffehr

Colorado David

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 04:21:35 pm »

Equip your tripods with ether a 75 or 100 mm bowl. Attach the corresponding half ball to the bottom of your head. It's not as quick as a quick release, but will double as a leveling base.

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 05:10:03 pm »

There are lower-cost versions of the RRS baseplates:
http://www.sunwayfoto.com/e_goodsmulu.aspx?cid=60

That being said, I think that sunwayfoto Arca standard is different from the RRS dimensions. OK, if your always-on-tripod clamp is a screw clamp, not ok if it is a lever clamp.

kayakfari

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 06:49:13 pm »

Thanks guys. The sunway discal clamps look possibly promising (and also affordable).
I should've mentioned that the rig needs to be able to support about 15lbs (gimbal plus 1000/8 lens).
Do you all have any experience as to whether this would be a solid and viable combination?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 06:54:30 pm by kayakfari »

dwswager

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 09:48:24 pm »

There are lower-cost versions of the RRS baseplates:
http://www.sunwayfoto.com/e_goodsmulu.aspx?cid=60

That being said, I think that sunwayfoto Arca standard is different from the RRS dimensions. OK, if your always-on-tripod clamp is a screw clamp, not ok if it is a lever clamp.

Depends on the age of the lever clamp.  When debating lever versus screw panning clamp, that was a potential concern.  RRS said the original lever clamps did not anticipate this issue and therefore lacked sufficient travel for clamping tight to the slightly smaller plates.  They indicated the newer lever clamps fixed this issue.  Common sense is always to ask and verify your intended configurations.

I'm somewhat surprised that RRS does not make an apex for their tripods with a clamp built into it.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 01:34:49 pm by dwswager »

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 02:37:37 pm »

I do exactly that... the RRS clamp on the tripod and the dovetails on the heads.  If I travel, or I know for certain I will be a while without swapping between a panoramic head, geared head, or ballhead...I take it all apart and just twist the head of choice on. 
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

NancyP

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 06:18:36 pm »

I think that the removeable apex platform is more or less a standard design for "systematic" type (no obligate center column) tripods. My Feisols have the same design shown in the RRS diagram, with the three set screws holding on to a groove in the platform. The RRS design is a little fancier (and should be at that price), in that the base of the groove appears to be steel, not 6061 aluminum. My observation is, the most critical part is to tighten the set screws with the hex wrench when first setting out, because the set screws can rattle loose a bit in the car trunk, and over a week or a month can get loose enough to be unstable. RRS also gets kudos for a handy stash site for the pertinent wrenches in a capsule fitting inside the center column.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 11:12:52 pm »

I think that the removeable apex platform is more or less a standard design for "systematic" type (no obligate center column) tripods. My Feisols have the same design shown in the RRS diagram, with the three set screws holding on to a groove in the platform. The RRS design is a little fancier (and should be at that price), in that the base of the groove appears to be steel, not 6061 aluminum. My observation is, the most critical part is to tighten the set screws with the hex wrench when first setting out, because the set screws can rattle loose a bit in the car trunk, and over a week or a month can get loose enough to be unstable. RRS also gets kudos for a handy stash site for the pertinent wrenches in a capsule fitting inside the center column.

Loctite is your friend.

http://blog.kasson.com/?p=1636

Jim

kayakfari

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 11:12:21 am »

Here's what I'm dealing with:

The tripod is an older but excellent Manfrotto 3068. It is 37" long and also weighs about 15lbs by itself and the center column doesn't come out without tools.

It rides in an extra long drybag lashed to the back deck of the kayak like this:

"Hubble Jr" is the gentle giant SMC Pentax 1000mm f/8 K lens that's a little smaller and lighter. It just fits inside the front kayak hatch that can be seen here:
(click for bigger version)

Here's the setup in the wild:
Hubble Jr all dressed up!  (click for more)

This is a rock solid setup for me, I'm, pretty happy with it.
I just need to figure out a solid way to connect the legs with the gimbal so that I can quickly set up and take down.

Looking at the Arca Swiss compatible options I get a little concerned about the leverage induced by the 15lb gimbal and lens combination on the AS dovetail.
One small set screw is all that would be holding tripod and lens together!

Obviously I'm trying to minimize the size and amount of gear, as there's limited space in the kayak. I also have to carry safety gear, paddling gear, camping gear plus food and drink, etc..

BTW, just for fun here's Hubble Jr with the Pentax Q (5600mm equivalent) at 225 meters:

Thank you for your helpful responses!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:17:12 am by kayakfari »
Pages: [1]   Go Up