Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Zealand end of August?  (Read 2781 times)

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
New Zealand end of August?
« on: February 21, 2016, 03:26:06 am »

Dear all,

So, I already did a quick search about locations in the forum that I need to patiently investigate:

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=101803.msg835830#msg835830
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=89380.msg728541#msg728541
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=69035.msg546430#msg546430
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=60940.msg490858#msg490858
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=51359.msg422723#msg422723
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=626.msg5040#msg5040
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=323.msg3153#msg3153

My question goes in other direction. This year a group of friends are thinking to visit New Zealand for the first time, due to work reasons, our best dates will be the second half of August, that it is winter there. Since we are traveling from Spain (between day and half to two long days enjoying planes and airports), we are wondering if it is better to try it other year that we can go in Spring our Autumn there. Basically the question is, if we go in winter, considering that it is going to be mainly road trip with short walks (hours walks, not days walks), would be the places that we can visit very limited due to weather conditions? Our main interest is landscape photography.

P.D.1: I know, winter could be wonderful for landscape photography, but since I don't know the area, I typically prefer to visit the place in nice weather and go again in the future when conditions are not so nice. But there is always a first time for everything.
P.D.2: I'm starting negotiations with my boss for trying end of November... but I think I have like a 10% chance of that happening...

Thanks,

David

brandon

Re: New Zealand end of August?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 05:03:54 am »

Hi David
New Zealand is a small country but has a large latitude range and thus one cant generalise. From snow covered mountain areas in the south (Lord of the Rings etc) through to moody and largely deserted beaches ( at thattime of the year) in the north, winter would be potentially the pick of seasons for landscape work. However, and its a big "but", winter can be difficult if its raining and not much else, and obviously the day lengths are more limited. Personally I think November isnt the best of times photographically here in NZ, a little too late for spring scenery a bit unsettled for reliable weather.
Regards Brandon

shadowblade

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 11:36:42 am »

Winter is a fantastic time to go.

Clear skies (particularly down in Fiordland, where it can rain 300 out of 360 days in a year), snow-capped peaks (especially towards the end of winter, in August and September), clear streams, icicles, icebergs in some of the lakes, good food around a warm fireplace when you're not shooting photos - what's not to like?

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 04:22:05 pm »

Ok, you sold it to me :)... Many thanks for the comments.

Tarnash

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 08:29:47 pm »

Hi David,  Difficult call without knowing in more detail what it is you like to photograph.  Winter scenery can be magical here in the South Island. So can the night sky, particularly in the MacKenzie Basin but pretty well anywhere that's out of town (which is most of the island).  The West Coast is ruggedly beautiful but frequently wet. There are winter sports (skiing, etc.) in Otago and inland Canterbury.  It's quiet in the `off-season' except around the winter resorts (Queenstown, Wanaka, Methven, Hanmer Springs, etc.). If I had to pick my `favourite' months for landscape photography they would be September/October (Spring) or March, April and through into May however, there is plenty to do and photograph pretty well anytime.  One thing I would suggest is not pinning down your itinerary too tightly (regardless of the time of year) as weather can have a significant impact on what you see and do.  Good luck with your planning!   

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 02:30:56 am »

Hi Tarnash, thanks for the comment. Our plan is not to be tide to an specific itinerary, we are thinking into renting a motorhome or something similar so we can move around easily without restrictions of hotel reservations. Our main focus will be pure landscape photography, looking for locations for sunset and sunrise shots and whatever happens in the middle...

http://dgpfotografia.com

Tarnash

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 04:17:29 pm »

Hi again David,  Sounds like a good plan and you should find plenty to keep you busy.  In all probability, more possibilities than time.  I'd be happy to offer some specific ideas/suggestions if it would helpful.   

Nelsonretreat

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 04:56:11 pm »

I've spent the last five years photographing the South Island in every season of the year and have no hesitation in saying you will get great photographs in any season. However... the West Coast has notoriously high rainfall and a wise person avoids it in winter. Weather moves quickly in NZ so you only have to drive 100 KM to have different atmospheric conditions. Dawn will often yield you clear weather even if it fouls up later in the day. Adapt to the conditions because mist and rain can provide some wonderful images.

The Southern lakes (Tekapo, Pukaki, Ohau,Wanaka and Wakatipu all provide a high probability of getting great shots. Drive up the eastern side of Tekapo for a great view of an island lake. Don't miss Mount John Observatory also above Tekapo. Wondrous views from there. Drive up the ski field roads at Lake Ohau,  and The Remarkables in Queenstown. (You might need chains). The drive Queenstown to Glenorchy is worth it.

Don't miss Hakatere Conservation Park - a hidden gem..it's a dirt road but worth every bumpy Km! Try and get to Lake Heron in the Park early in the morning ( stay in Methven as it's close)
If you have an iPad purchase MapApSI which is more detailed that Ordinace survey maps you buy in shops and shows all the dirt roads. It links with a GPS bluetooth unit so you will always know where you are. The maps are stored on your ipad which is important as cell phone and wifi is limited off the beaten track in NZ. Buy the 'photographers ephemeris' ap for ipad as it helps tell you when the sun will get above surrounding mountains and its direction at various times of day.

Visitors often get caught out by the time it can take to get around South Island. Roads can be slow so 350KM a day is good going to allow you to stop and photograph.

Look at bookabach.co.nz for reasonablehouse house rentals.

have a great trip

Nelsonretreat

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 05:04:57 pm »

Addendum to above.. When I refer to west coast I mean in the South Island. If you have limited time there is more than enough to photograph in the South Island. Locations are more spread out and not as numerous in the North Island. Starting a round trip in Christchurch is not a bad idea. Motor home idea makes sense but will limit you if you want to go off the beaten track on dirt roads. You can do it but it's not the most congenial fomm of driving and is slower than a car generally on the road. Trying to park it will drive you crazy as they are BIG!

Tarnash

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 07:00:45 pm »

I'd endorse everything `Nelsonretreat' has to say with the one rider that, whilst it's true that the West Coast can be very wet, particularly in winter, it also provides great opportunities for wonderful images.  And, in good weather, it can be very, very good indeed.  I'd also concur with the comments about motorhomes, particularly if you aim to go to some of the more remote parts (which, in my view, are the best).  Depending on the size of your party a decent 4WD SUV is well worth considering as it will allow you to venture further and see more.  The down side is that you'll then need to find accommodation but, at the time of year you are planning for that should be no problem, unless you pitch up at a ski resort.  Cost wise, the difference is probably not as great as you might think.

Nelsonretreat

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 01:20:43 pm »

I'd endorse everything `Nelsonretreat' has to say with the one rider that, whilst it's true that the West Coast can be very wet, particularly in winter, it also provides great opportunities for wonderful images.  And, in good weather, it can be very, very good indeed. 

Good  comment! If you do go to the West Coast try and get to Lake Mahinapouri (near Hokitika, a lovely town). Stand on the jetty at dawn and you will get magnificent shots of the sun rising over the lake. Have a drink in the magnificent Empire Hotel in Ross.
Pages: [1]   Go Up