Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: OSX El Capitan + Eizo black clipping  (Read 8966 times)

tho_mas

Re: OSX El Capitan + Eizo black clipping
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 04:17:28 pm »

I mostly agree with this but note that EIZO, who markets primarily to this demanding segment, recommends the default BP of "Minimum."  I see advantages and disadvantages of both.
I also see advantages and disadvantages.
The reason Eizo recommends "minimum" is most likely best compatibilty to most imaging softwares (still image and video). A raised black point is a pretty bad idea for watching (or editing) videos ... and only few softwares handle a raised black point (reflected in the associated monitor profile) as supposed to. Apples "Preview" for example does not :-) ...

Note that most web pages are not viewed in subdued lighting where one needs high dynamic range. Reflected light is the biggest problem. A high BP used in creating these will provide a better viewing experience when in typical web viewing environments.
true

ppmax2

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 07:36:14 pm »

Recently I noticed many of my images seem to have changed vs. my memory of them when viewing in Preview or other OS X applications (Aperture, etc). These images appear to have blacks that have been "crushed" and I am particularly sensitive to avoiding this when processing my photos.

I'm wondering if there isn't some change/defect in El Capitan responsible for this. I processed an old photo the other day and had to reduce black point to bring up the black levels...I've literally never had to do this before.

Maybe I'll recalibrate (nee, profile) my iMac with DisplayCal to see if there has been any change since the last time I profiled several months ago.

PP

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2016, 08:41:50 pm »

Wow guys, thanks soon much for helping with this. Especially kirks. Your solution totally fixed my problem which was horribly annoying. I had the feeling that if no one could help in this forum, no one else on the internet would be able to help. Thank you again.

kirkt

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2016, 07:52:07 pm »

You're welcome.  It is a pain, and I am glad that I stumbled upon a solution that worked for you.

kirk
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up