Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tilt-shift lens on panorama adapter  (Read 2643 times)

vfarnsworth

Tilt-shift lens on panorama adapter
« on: February 20, 2016, 01:40:29 am »

Hi All,

I recently purchased a Canon TS-E 24mm II lens and have been testing it extensively.  It is a real gem with essentially no visible distortions.  I do a lot of mostly landscape panoramas and I have in the past run into compositional problems when I tilt the camera down to get more foreground.  The trees are no longer straight.  With the new TS lens this is no longer an issue because I can shift the lens down instead of tilting the camera.  However, I found that panoramas shot with the new rig mounted on a panorama adapter were difficult to stitch with the lens shifted.  Photoshop's merge did significantly better than Lightroom or PT-GUI but it still had problems.  I re-tested my no-parallax point with the lens shifted and unshifted just to make sure I wasn't crazy (there should be no difference since the npp remains along the axis of rotation when the lens is shifted up or down with the camera mounted in the portrait orientation).  After several days of research I found the solution and thought the forum members may be interested.  Please excuse me if this topic has been resolved elsewhere.

Neatly tucked away in the instructions for use on the PT-GUI website there is an answer.  The shifted lens's optical center is no longer aligned with the center of the camera's sensor and the software is designed to stitch images made with symmetrically aligned optics.  The shifted image looks fine to the eye but the software sees it for what it really is, an asymmetrical image with all kinds of weird uninterpretable distortion.  The solution is to go to the advanced lens settings in the program and enter the amount of the shift away from the center, in pixels, so that the stitching program can compensate.  I happen to use a Canon 5D Mark III, which has a sensor with 160 pixels/mm.  If the lens was shifted by 5mm, this translates to 800 pixels (5mm x 160 pixels/mm).  To test this, I initially aligned a 360-degree single-row panorama without entering the lens shift parameters.  It looked really bad.  I then entered the pixel shift correction and it magically transformed on screen right in front of my eyes into a perfect stitch.  I confirmed this by actually completing the panorama at maximum size and checking it at full size in Photoshop.  In fact, this was technically the best panorama made with a wide-angle lens that I had ever seen.  So, I highly recommend using this option if it is available in your software of choice.  By the way, this has nothing to do with making panoramas by using only the shift function of the lens.  That is an independent issue.  Thanks.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Tilt-shift lens on panorama adapter
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 03:46:44 am »

Interesting info, thanks for sharing!

Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Shiftworker

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 05:11:00 am »

Actually you need to add double the pixels (1600) to the image size to move the optical axis 5mm. Also check all but vertical and horizontal shear in he advance optimisation box and if you are not absolutely sure you have the lens on the 'nodal' point then also check optimise viewpoint on each image. The latter is especially useful if you have objects near the camera.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 08:04:29 am »

Neatly tucked away in the instructions for use on the PT-GUI website there is an answer.  The shifted lens's optical center is no longer aligned with the center of the camera's sensor and the software is designed to stitch images made with symmetrically aligned optics.  The shifted image looks fine to the eye but the software sees it for what it really is, an asymmetrical image with all kinds of weird uninterpretable distortion.  The solution is to go to the advanced lens settings in the program and enter the amount of the shift away from the center, in pixels, so that the stitching program can compensate.

Hi,

Yes, this is one of the many benefits that a dedicated panostitcher like PTGUI has to offer. Shifted lenses, but also decentered (or tilted) ones, need access to an offset parameter that allows to center on the true optical axis before addressing radially symmetrical distortions.

I happen to use a Canon 5D Mark III, which has a sensor with 160 pixels/mm.  If the lens was shifted by 5mm, this translates to 800 pixels (5mm x 160 pixels/mm).

Correct, 5760 pixels / 36mm = 160 pixels offset per shifted mm (as is 3824px / 24mm). You can use this as an initial value, and let the optimization routine refine it further later (based on the actual control points).

If you didn't take a note of the amount of shift, or it was not in horizontal or vertical direction but at an angle, you can still try and let PTGUI find a setting automatically, by only optimizing for the vertical shift, and then only for the horizontal shift. I often get better results even on unshifted (but potentially somewhat decentered) lenses when I first do a regular optimization, then additionally only optimize for shift, and then re-optimize with those shifts locked. This often leads to sub-pixel registration accuracy (assuming the No-Parallax Point was calibrated well).

I get better results by isolating the shift optimization than by combining it with other parameters in a single optimization run, because it adds so many degrees of freedom to the optimization problem, that multiple solutions can be found, but only one is optimal. PTGUI can get confused that way, unless the task is simplified to one parameter. The success is also dependent on the accuracy of the control points, so make sure to avoid moving branches or clouds, but set the control points on really stationary features in the scene. A lens such as the TS-E 24mm II has so little distortion, that an excellent solution can usually be found, even with shift (and/or tilt, which also shifts the entrance pupil a bit).

So my procedure is to optimize with an initial approximated shift offset, then optimize only the shift parameters (one by one), then re-optimize with the new shift values locked.

By watching the progress in the distance deltas of the control points, it is possible to find a better solution, or stick with a previous solution. Make sure to save the settings before experimenting, because sometimes the optimization gets seriously confused with solving for so many degrees of freedom, and then it's faster to reload a saved solution than to start from scratch.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 08:09:06 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Shiftworker

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 08:35:15 am »

I misunderstood the original post - sorry. My method  is to go to the crop tab and extend the canvas by double the shift amount so you create a new image with a centred optical axis. This will compensate for the large shift value. Then let PTGUI optimise any residual offset in the optimisation tab. I wouldn't personally try to overide the calculated lens parameters by adding a rough shift value as the scale markings are not very accurate on shift lenses whereas getting the optical xis near the center of the image via the crop tab gives it a helping hand.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 10:28:51 am »

Hello vfarnsworth,

interesting post.
I have never done a stitch like that before, but will look into it.
About optical axis shift settings... I would make always one image unshifted and calculate in photoshop how much the image is actually shifted; and use this value as a starting point.
I like ptGUI very much for it is so versatile and scientific transparant in what it does.
cheers,

Pieter

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 10:30:10 am »

This is very interesting, thanks ... both methods in fact.  I remember years ago getting a failed merge from images taken with a shifted 35mm lens on a FF Canon, looking down and across a fishing harbour from a high overpass on a nearby road.  There was plenty of overlap and my nodal point was OK but I got lousy results close to the ground.  I was pretty sure that it had something to do with the fact that I'd shifted the lens but it wasn't a great shot and I've never come up with the similar situation again to figure out a solution.  Good to know there are fixes though.

Regards

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 04:19:04 pm »

The same principle applies when any other image non-ideality has to be corrected (geometrical distortion, CA,...). Not in the Canon 24mm TS-E II since it's such a brilliant lens, but in others as the older Canon 24mm TS (it showed clear geommetrical distortion).

I wrote an article about this time ago where I calculated the camera position in the canvas, because the author didn't have the information about how much shift was applied (a good trick to know the exact optical centre without writing down the shifting information, is to make just one extra shot with no shifting at all which will tell us accurately where the optical axis is located). I then added canvas to make the camera position the geommetrical centre as Shiftworker points:

The result was much better:

Left non-corrected image, centre image corrected by the author with no canvas added, right corrected with canvas addition to centre the optical axis:

http://www.guillermoluijk.com/tutorial/shiftlens/index.htm

Regards
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 04:25:24 pm by Guillermo Luijk »
Pages: [1]   Go Up