Equipment & Techniques > Beginner's Questions

Best Strobe Kit for $5000?

(1/2) > >>

Stuart Rickmann:
Hi

What's the most reliable strobe kit, starting from scratch, for about $5,000? This includes modifiers. Particularly for environmental and fashion photography? Portability is important.

Is it wise to "invest" in one of the newer Chinese-rebranded strobes, or should I stick to reliable names like Profoto or Broncolor?

Thanks!

langier:
I like my Elinchrome Ranger system. 1100 W/S (joules), Skyport, durable, battery-powered. Both packs and heads were from eBay and had seen better days when I got them several years ago. I've changed the batteries in each and they are both fine.

I also use the Nikon 800/900 when I don't need the lumens. When you strap these little lights together you git more power and convenience than the larger systems and all the conveniences and controls of the TTL system. This also works with the Canon flashes.

shotupdave:

--- Quote from: Stuart Rickmann on February 19, 2016, 02:13:33 am ---Hi

What's the most reliable strobe kit, starting from scratch, for about $5,000? This includes modifiers. Particularly for environmental and fashion photography? Portability is important.

Is it wise to "invest" in one of the newer Chinese-rebranded strobes, or should I stick to reliable names like Profoto or Broncolor?

Thanks!

--- End quote ---

Gow may heads and what kind of wattage are you loong for, will it for location work and battery powered?

Stuart Rickmann:

--- Quote from: langier on February 19, 2016, 04:17:08 am ---I like my Elinchrome Ranger system. 1100 W/S (joules), Skyport, durable, battery-powered. Both packs and heads were from eBay and had seen better days when I got them several years ago. I've changed the batteries in each and they are both fine.

I also use the Nikon 800/900 when I don't need the lumens. When you strap these little lights together you git more power and convenience than the larger systems and all the conveniences and controls of the TTL system. This also works with the Canon flashes.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, I was thinking about the Ranger myself. Is there a chance they might be replaced soon?

I have a couple of Yongnuo speedlights and a trigger.

Stuart Rickmann:

--- Quote from: shotupdave on February 19, 2016, 04:36:31 am ---Gow may heads and what kind of wattage are you loong for, will it for location work and battery powered?

--- End quote ---

Sorry I should have been clearer. Not more than 2 heads, though I can start with just one. Wattage I don't know. I've done some research, and most sources agree I should stay above 500Ws, and get 1000Ws if possible for location work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version