Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Strobe Kit for $5000?  (Read 3792 times)

Stuart Rickmann

Best Strobe Kit for $5000?
« on: February 19, 2016, 02:13:33 am »

Hi

What's the most reliable strobe kit, starting from scratch, for about $5,000? This includes modifiers. Particularly for environmental and fashion photography? Portability is important.

Is it wise to "invest" in one of the newer Chinese-rebranded strobes, or should I stick to reliable names like Profoto or Broncolor?

Thanks!

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Best Strobe Kit for $5000?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 04:17:08 am »

I like my Elinchrome Ranger system. 1100 W/S (joules), Skyport, durable, battery-powered. Both packs and heads were from eBay and had seen better days when I got them several years ago. I've changed the batteries in each and they are both fine.

I also use the Nikon 800/900 when I don't need the lumens. When you strap these little lights together you git more power and convenience than the larger systems and all the conveniences and controls of the TTL system. This also works with the Canon flashes.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

shotupdave

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 04:36:31 am »

Hi

What's the most reliable strobe kit, starting from scratch, for about $5,000? This includes modifiers. Particularly for environmental and fashion photography? Portability is important.

Is it wise to "invest" in one of the newer Chinese-rebranded strobes, or should I stick to reliable names like Profoto or Broncolor?

Thanks!

Gow may heads and what kind of wattage are you loong for, will it for location work and battery powered?

Stuart Rickmann

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 05:26:15 am »

I like my Elinchrome Ranger system. 1100 W/S (joules), Skyport, durable, battery-powered. Both packs and heads were from eBay and had seen better days when I got them several years ago. I've changed the batteries in each and they are both fine.

I also use the Nikon 800/900 when I don't need the lumens. When you strap these little lights together you git more power and convenience than the larger systems and all the conveniences and controls of the TTL system. This also works with the Canon flashes.

Thanks, I was thinking about the Ranger myself. Is there a chance they might be replaced soon?

I have a couple of Yongnuo speedlights and a trigger.

Stuart Rickmann

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 05:27:30 am »

Gow may heads and what kind of wattage are you loong for, will it for location work and battery powered?

Sorry I should have been clearer. Not more than 2 heads, though I can start with just one. Wattage I don't know. I've done some research, and most sources agree I should stay above 500Ws, and get 1000Ws if possible for location work.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 06:50:31 am »

I have the big Ranger 1100w/s pack and head, too. It's a fine system, very powerful, but also very heavy and a pain to carry around and set up by myself. Light quality is excellent. The head has a non-standard umbrella shaft mount. I also have a ton of old Dynalite stuff.

If I had to start totally from scratch, I would buy three or four of the Dynalite Baja units. These are inexpensive monolights with a built in battery pack, a standard mount for modifiers, and 600w/s of power. They are not at all expensive, but I was able to compare them side-by-side with the Profoto B1 units at a conference last summer, and they compared pretty well. Of course the Profotos are better -- those things could survive reentry into the atmosphere all by themselves. But I could almost get four of the Bajas for the price of one B1. Yes, they are only 600w/s, but for me that is generally plenty (but I am not trying to kill direct sunlight).

I do prefer battery powered units these days -- it's so much easier than running hundreds of feet of extension cords or bringing a generator. Set up a light stand, put the flash head on top, add a modifier, and start shooting.

For $5K I could get the flash units, stands, softboxes, various reflectors, several of the radio controllers (in case one dies), extra batteries, chargers, a big rolling case, etc., and still have money left over. If I drop a flash and it breaks into pieces, they are cheap enough to just buy another one.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Stuart Rickmann

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 09:45:09 am »

Thank you, Ken. I'll look at the Baja's.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 04:38:29 pm »

I would go the Ranger also. I don't have one but I have Quadras and Elinchrom mains powered generators. Reliable and powerful enough. The new Skyport HS should make even better. i use Ranger heads on Quadras but not enough power outside. So now looking at a Ranger pack.
Stay away from cheap flash as the colour temp varies as you change power and you get what you pay for. If you are rich you can go for Broncolor, but you won't get anything for $5K and you don't go anywhere they may get wet.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Stuart Rickmann

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 02:26:50 am »

I would go the Ranger also. I don't have one but I have Quadras and Elinchrom mains powered generators. Reliable and powerful enough. The new Skyport HS should make even better. i use Ranger heads on Quadras but not enough power outside. So now looking at a Ranger pack.
Stay away from cheap flash as the colour temp varies as you change power and you get what you pay for. If you are rich you can go for Broncolor, but you won't get anything for $5K and you don't go anywhere they may get wet.

Thanks! Would love to have a Para or three, but the Ranger looks good for now.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 05:28:51 am »

After a lot of searching I ended up going with Profoto, specifically the D1 500 and BatPac.
The reason was simplicity. Profoto's mounting system is stupid simple and fast. The controls are the same.
They use RF for triggering, with their remote. You also have the option of optical, or 1/8" jack for Pocket Wizards and the like.
Fast forward a couple of years, some piece of human waste stole all my equipment. The insurance company allowed me to upgrade to the newest B1500's.
Same as the D1 except the batteries are mounted on the strobe itself. Lightweight and no wires.
Talking about portable! Those lights rock!
My location kit is usually a couple of B1 500's and a Softlight Reflector (beauty dish). And to be quite honest I rarely use more than one strobe.
Their light modifiers are a bit pricey but seem well made.
If you happen to shoot Canon or Nikon, the remote allows TTL metering. If not, the cheaper remote will control all functions (except TTL).
The only thing I don't like is they don't allow for Light Meter triggering, at least not without a work around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up