Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mac mini  (Read 5900 times)

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
mac mini
« on: February 18, 2016, 09:55:10 am »

Hi, if anybody recently tried  latest mac mini with Photoshop/ Lightroom please share experience. I am going to sell my PC and get new mac, connecting it to my Eizo 275 monitor...Thanks
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 01:41:37 am by alifatemi »

Manoli

Re: mac mini
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 11:24:10 am »

I've been trying to 'downsize' for several years. Ditched the workstation concept and (have) run various flavours of MacMini's the latest being 2.8GHz i7/16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM with Intel HD 4000 graphics. The latest models now sport Intel Iris Graphics and can run upto 3.0GHz i7's. RAM still maxed out at 16GB.

Not at all convinced that you need the latest and fastest processor, in fact I seem to remember rumours that the i5 's were better suited rather than the i7's - due to heat dissipation issues. Under heavy use mine does run hot but I think that's been rectified in the latest models. I'd double check that though.

Running latest CC versions of Photoshop and Lightroom - though haven't checked on the earlier models but they ran CS6/Lr4&5 with no difficulty even though they only have 8MB RAM.  Also running FCP X - light use, but draws the line if you try to run Resolve ~:) Also running OS X (10.11 - El Capitan) seems to have given them a performance boost - which I suspect is down to better memory management.

What is essential is to ditch any thoughts of internal hard or fusion drives. It's SSD all the way. When I ordered mine 256GB was the limit - now Apple at least offer a max of 1TB internal SSD storage ( which will cost you around £600/$1,000 extra). Extortionate pricing as you can get double the capacity (2TB) for about the same price (Samsung 2TB 850 PRO), but if you want to extend the potential life of your Mini to the max, then probably best to bite the bullet and get the largest internal SSD available - and unless things have changed recently, the SSD is not a user upgradeable item.

See this earlier post regarding 'gotchas' and performance tests:
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=108021.msg889862#msg889862

Hope it works out for you.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 05:51:57 am »

I agree on SSD, though I think 512 is enough. That is what I used on my iMac and there is plenty of space if you just use it for OS and apps. My mac mini has a 256 SSD but that is basically a file server. I did do the change myself from 256 HD and it wasn't too difficult.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

przero

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 06:50:59 am »

I have the 2012 model with the 2.5ghz i5, 16gb ram, a 500gb Samsung SSD and a 1tb hard drive, it rocks!

Manoli

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 07:41:28 am »

I agree on SSD, though I think 512 is enough. That is what I used on my iMac and there is plenty of space if you just use it for OS and apps. My mac mini has a 256 SSD but that is basically a file server. I did do the change myself from 256 HD and it wasn't too difficult.

512 is probably more than enough, today - assuming you're not doing motion - but the latest (7,2) mini's have a sealed design with a black plastic cap covering a metal panel that's secured with tamper proof screws and the RAM is also 'soldered-in' as opposed to the previous 'plug-in' design - so it's quasi impossible to do user upgrades to either RAM or SSD.

The 512MB > 1TB upgrade costs £400/$600 extra, extortion at today's prices, but it's the only way to future-proof your mini as best possible - but I agree it's not a necessity.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 09:56:24 am »

I also have a 2012 mac mini with the 256 SSD.  It works fine and I have some large files.  However, I recently purchased a mac book pro and it is  a bit faster than the mac mini. I was going to sell the mac mini, but I find that I still keep using it for backups and will use it to run my film scanner.  The mac mini is perfect for the minimalist work station!

elolaugesen

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 11:21:09 am »

Macmini 2012 I7 2.3   upgraded to 16gb, replaced hard drive myself with a 512gb crucial ssd. 
use two monitors both Eizo  Cg222W  and a cs240
primarily run photoshop latest version and lightroom.
system is fast as I want it to be.
However I work primarily with images of original artwork, colour match and  that then print out on high quality paper for Limited edition runs.
not even thinking about upgrading.

love it....  cheers Elo

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 01:16:39 am »

Thanks everybody, I am very convinced that Mini has what I really need, my only concern is if it can drive 4k monitor like  Eizo CG318-4K or similar via its display port in full resolution
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 02:37:20 am by alifatemi »

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 10:11:28 am »

From Apple's website on the Mac Mini tech specs.

Intel Iris graphics

Video Support

Support for up to two displays at 2560 by 1600 pixels, both at millions of colors

Thunderbolt digital video output

Native Mini DisplayPort output
DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
HDMI video output

Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz
DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
Regards,
Ron

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 03:08:58 pm »

Thanks Ron, also this from apple:

Use 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac
Learn which Mac computers can use 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs, and how to set up and adjust them.

Supported displays and configurations

You can use 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with these Mac computers (special adapters might be required):
MacBook Pro (Retina, Late 2013 and later)
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014 and later)
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)
iMac (27-inch, Late 2013 and later)
iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015)
Mac mini (Late 2014)
MacBook Air (Early 2015)
MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)

rdonson

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 04:52:14 pm »

Ali, it looks like it should work
Regards,
Ron

Chris Livsey

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 09:28:34 am »

As my 2007 MBP has died, partially it was the graphics, HD is safe, I am looking to leap forward. The mini was a possible.

A decent monitor, Dell 2415q is £350
A mid 2011 mini upgraded s/h 16GB, i7 2.0, 256Flash is £700 so £1050

I can buy a 27 inch (non retina of course)  imac also mid 2011 i7 3.4, 32GB, 2GB 6970M, 256 flash and 1TB HDD for £1219

What's the answer? Mini overpriced / imac underpriced, same commercial seller of refurbs.

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 10:44:28 am »

As my 2007 MBP has died, partially it was the graphics, HD is safe, I am looking to leap forward. The mini was a possible.

A decent monitor, Dell 2415q is £350
A mid 2011 mini upgraded s/h 16GB, i7 2.0, 256Flash is £700 so £1050

I can buy a 27 inch (non retina of course)  imac also mid 2011 i7 3.4, 32GB, 2GB 6970M, 256 flash and 1TB HDD for £1219

What's the answer? Mini overpriced / imac underpriced, same commercial seller of refurbs.

I have decided on Mini i7 with 16GB with 256 SSD. I already own EIZO 275 so I believe this mini is best choice for me since in my printing studio I don't do any video at all, just PS and LR. Sometimes I use my MBP 2012 Core i7 2.6 with 16 GB for heavy jobs with LR or PS without any delay or problem so this Mini with higher spec should get the job done even easier. The point is, in all computers, the bottle neck is hard disc; My experience is if you get Mini with SSD, you are in business. 256 is more than enough. My current computer is a PC with 256 SSD in it just for applications and OS. I have very limited applications and no game of any sort so I still have lots of space on this SSD. Having bigger SSD like 556 also nice but I have to pay lots of money. I will rely mostly on Thunderbolt externals in RAID config for everything else. and of course second external low cost big hard drive for backups which is very cheap indeed. If you are going for high spec Mini and buying a monitor, then I suggest one of those iMac 4K models which give you joy for many years to come I believe. I never buy second hand since I am doing professional works and reliability is my first priority. Good luck

Chris Livsey

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 11:38:48 am »

Thanks, indeed the monitor addition is the killer on my pricing, you are set to go. I also am non commercial so can bottom fish to some extent without worry, I am leaning towards the i-mac, thanks for the push  :)

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 01:27:40 am »

Hi everybody, long time no see!  I got my Mini as follow:

Mac mini
3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz)
16GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
Intel Iris Graphics

So far so Excellent! I couple it with Lacie Thunderbolt 2  6T Dual Disc hard drive and Eizo 275 monitor.

I just installed my applications like LR and PS on internal SSD drive and all my files on Lacie. And another high capacity but cheap USB3 WD for back up.

Mini has no problem with whatever I've put through it and it has done all processing with ease. I don't do film editing so I really don't think buying Mac pro worth it for photographers, and one can spend the difference for an Eizo monitor. I think this setup is even better that buying iMac if one can afford to pay for Eizo. I liked to buy even external hard, a SSD one but it was very expensive...I like Mini a lot!

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 12:55:16 am »

Hi everybody, long time no see!  I got my Mini as follow:

Mac mini
3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz)
16GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
Intel Iris Graphics

Agree about the monitor if the budget is limited. The retina displays are impressive, but prefer something like and Eizo or NEC monitor for editing anything that might might go to print.

So far so Excellent! I couple it with Lacie Thunderbolt 2  6T Dual Disc hard drive and Eizo 275 monitor.

I just installed my applications like LR and PS on internal SSD drive and all my files on Lacie. And another high capacity but cheap USB3 WD for back up.

Mini has no problem with whatever I've put through it and it has done all processing with ease. I don't do film editing so I really don't think buying Mac pro worth it for photographers, and one can spend the difference for an Eizo monitor. I think this setup is even better that buying iMac if one can afford to pay for Eizo. I liked to buy even external hard, a SSD one but it was very expensive...I like Mini a lot!

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 01:06:44 am »

Hi David, There is no message in your post. Plz check it out

degrub

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 09:43:06 am »

David's response is the line starting with "Agree ..." just after the specs.
Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up