Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hooray for Apple - NOT!  (Read 2349 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Hooray for Apple - NOT!
« on: February 18, 2016, 08:28:11 am »

Seems that if you have your iPhone repaired at a non-Apple shop, they can (at least sometimes) detect it and will remotely disable your phone permanently.

stamper

Re: Hooray for Apple - NOT!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 09:01:22 am »

???

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 10:26:46 am »

Care to elaborate?

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 11:52:23 am »

Hey, they also appear to think terrorist sanctity is more important than community safety!

Some guys think themselves greater than God. That's how it always begins... beware the absolute power of the industrial giant.

No, no smiley; it's for real.

Rob C

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 12:45:03 pm »

Hey, they also appear to think terrorist sanctity is more important than community safety!

Some guys think themselves greater than God. That's how it always begins... beware the absolute power of the industrial giant.

No, no smiley; it's for real.

Rob C

I think there are a lot of different slippery slopes involved in this issue Rob.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 02:37:51 pm »

I think there are a lot of different slippery slopes involved in this issue Rob.

The first one, which we usually negotiate quite well, is birth.

I expect no less with others - ¡f we are aware.

Anyhow, the very idea of using a cellphone for something 'important' seems daft to me. That's what pigeons are for.

;-)

Rob

SZRitter

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 04:06:15 pm »

Seems that if you have your iPhone repaired at a non-Apple shop, they can (at least sometimes) detect it and will remotely disable your phone permanently.

To elaborate on this, basically, there is an ID on your screen and thumb print scanner. If the ID of the installed screen/scanner doesn't match the ID that the phone has stored, it bricks itself as a security precaution.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 04:47:16 pm »

The assumption, however, is that the owner unlocks the phone before giving it for repair. Unless, of course, the very reason for repair is that the phone is locked and the owner does not remember the code or has never set the thumb lock in the first place.

My reading of what Peter was trying to say is that Apple is pissed off the phone is at a non-Apple shop and disables it as a punishment. Then again, I might be wrong.

SZRitter

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 10:30:14 am »

The assumption, however, is that the owner unlocks the phone before giving it for repair. Unless, of course, the very reason for repair is that the phone is locked and the owner does not remember the code or has never set the thumb lock in the first place.

My reading of what Peter was trying to say is that Apple is pissed off the phone is at a non-Apple shop and disables it as a punishment. Then again, I might be wrong.

Yeah, the ID I am referring to is an ID for the hardware, nothing to do with a user unlocking their phone or their passcode. It is about following the proper procedure more than who does it. There have been cases of it happening with repairs done at Apple Stores and approved Apple techs.

Nelsonretreat

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 06:34:04 pm »

I  might have read the articles about this incorrectly but the issue seems to revolve around the need to preserve the security of the finger print unlocking system. In theory, without this bricking feature, the thief who stole your phone can unlock it with no unhappy consequences.

Pages: [1]   Go Up