Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LCD LIVEVIEW....CCD.....&....CMOS.......  (Read 1900 times)

Hank Keeton

• SeeingTao
LCD LIVEVIEW....CCD.....&....CMOS.......
« on: February 18, 2016, 12:20:34 am »

I recently purchased a Credo-60, refurbished by the manufacturer.

I actively chose the CCD over some of the current popular CMOS alternatives, for reasons that seem sane.

However, now that I have the gear in-hand, I find the "Live View" to be more like a "Dead View" instead!

I had imagined I'd use the "Live-(Dead)-View" to help me focus LF cameras (Sinar P-2, Hassy FlexBody, Cambo Actus DB+), using movements. These images are often difficult to focus properly on the small LCD's of the MFDB.

Man...was I disappointed!  ... :'(....

What actual experiences have you had with your LCD "Live-(Dead)-View" on CCD-sensor MFDB?

I don't need the theory...I've had quite enough of that.

I really want to hear your experiences, and what you have done to accommodate the "Dead-View" conditions.

I've used a variable ND filter (to ND-12) as directed by those smarter than I, but at that decrease in illumination, it's frankly impossible to focus on ANYTHING, based on what appears on the LCD!

Any real-world experiences, and advice, gratefully received.

HELP......!!

Cheers,

Hank

....always seeking.....

SeeingTao.com

voidshatter

Re: LCD LIVEVIEW....CCD.....&....CMOS.......
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 12:56:59 am »

There is no way to work around this. A variable-ND filter is the best you can do, and you still get low fps and blooming. If Live View is critical for you then just switch to a CMOS back. I know many people (including myself) who gave up fullframe CCD and went for crop CMOS instead, back to the days when there was no IQ3 100MP.

MAmaro

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 01:00:51 am »

Hank,

Yunli is right there really is no good "live-view" on the CCD backs and no way really around it.  In fact I've only ever used it when tethered (never on the LCD) and even then it wasn't like on the CMOS sensors.

epines

• ethan pines photography
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 09:46:19 am »

Ground glass and a silvestri 12x loupe from Linhof Studio in the UK.

vjbelle

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 10:09:00 am »

Actually I've had pretty good luck focusing with my IQ180.  Longer lenses are more of a challenge but not impossible.  I have found that a 0.9 ND usually does the trick in bright light.  However, I have not had any good luck using movements (swing, tilt).  I also have an Actus DB+ and also a Leaf/Credo 50 CMOS which is a dream to use for movements and all forms of live view.  So if you need live view for movements then you need CMOS.

Victor
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 10:50:25 am by vjbelle »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 10:17:25 am »

The Credo 60, being CCD, will have a very limited use with Live View outdoors.  it works actually very well indoors in controlled lighting. 

You have already tried the variND approach, and it that won't work, there is not too much else to consider.  If you are using a tech lens, on the Aptus make sure you have moved the switch on the leaf shutter to open it all the way.  On a XF or DF style body, the aperture needs to go to the widest possible setting to allow the most light. 

You will see a lot of blooming no matter what and that blooming is one of the problems as each time the back blooms, you have to wait for the screen to repaint the image.  Even touching the back can create the blooming, and for sure making any changes to the aperture. 

It sounds like you have tried all the known tricks for using it outdoors.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Hank Keeton

• SeeingTao
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 11:09:26 am »

Thank you all...for your words of wisdom...and consolation, too!

I'm considering returning the back, and switching to a current CMOS, so we'll see what happens next.

Thanks again!

Hank
....always seeking.....

SeeingTao.com

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 11:21:12 am »

We always strongly recommend clients to test prior to purchase. This is why we maintain show rooms, provide evaluation rentals, and remote demos via Video/Screen/File Sharing. As you can see from this thread impressions of live view on Team Phase One backs range from [utterly unusable] to [reasonably efficacious] with each opinion being true for that person (based on needs, expectations, and the situations they work in.

Best results are had in a controlled lighting environment or with careful application of ND filter and wide open aperture in non controlled lighting environments. The use of the quality slider in the live view settings is also very helpful. If you've evaluated with this in mind and come to the conclusion it isn't helpful to you then you're right!

The live view on Team Phase One CMOS backs requires no real explanation; it works very well (good refresh rate, sharp rendering) in a broad range of lighting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up