Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color Editor Selection to a Mask  (Read 2037 times)

Mike Dale

Color Editor Selection to a Mask
« on: February 15, 2016, 07:49:32 pm »

I'm using the Capture One 9 Pro 30 day trial and I have watched some of the videos which allowed me to get going quite quickly. Using the Color Editor I can make a selection and turn it into a mask for use with the Local Adjustments. Is it possible to make a second color selection and turn that into a separate mask? If so how?

Thanks

mgrayson

Re: Color Editor Selection to a Mask
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 08:04:49 pm »

Exactly the same way you made the first one. Each time you select a color and make a mask you get a new layer with that color's mask already painted in.

Matt

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 08:17:45 pm »

You can make up to 16 layers with masks, it doesn't matter what method you use to make those masks.

Mike Dale

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 09:19:42 pm »

I can create a mask but when I try and create a second color mask it uses the first one. When creating the second mask I make sure I'm selected on background and not the layer1 I just created. I'll have another go in the morning.

Thanks

mgrayson

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 06:50:53 am »

I open a picture, choose the Color Editor, select a color, Create Layer Mask from Selection, select another color, CLMfS again. Now under Local Adjustments there are three layers: Background, Layer 1, and Layer 2.

--Matt

Mike Dale

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 09:33:14 am »

I've the different masks figured out now I'm trying to refine the section more precisely. If I want to select just the blue sky but not the darker blue sea I can't do it. It selects everything blue. I'll watch the color editor video again.

Thanks

Mike

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 10:27:45 am »

I've the different masks figured out now I'm trying to refine the section more precisely. If I want to select just the blue sky but not the darker blue sea I can't do it. It selects everything blue. I'll watch the color editor video again.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

Smoothness and adjusting the selected range is your friend, in this case.

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 10:41:24 am »

Hi Mike,

You can edit the mask that was created. Just use the eraser brush to unmask the sea selection, and you can just change the sky alone, or vice versa.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 10:57:01 am »

Thanks

Mike

Perhaps watch from here Mike..

https://youtu.be/h9itdJbin-c?t=17m49s

This will teach you how you can narrow down your colour selections.  Also as Bart says - you can edit the resulting mask.

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Mike Dale

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 03:58:48 pm »

Thank you Gentlemen. I've more or less got the hang of it now. I've been watching your videos already Dave, they're very good. I certainly like Capture One 9 and intend to purchase it. If I buy the Sony version for $50 and later decide that I need the full version do I get it at a reduced cost?

Thanks

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up