Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Petra  (Read 2793 times)

lerudnick

Petra
« on: February 14, 2016, 08:48:20 pm »

Hello,
My wife and I are planning a trip to Petra in Jordan in May. Has anyone been there and can provide some tips, that would be great. If you've done the "Petra at Night", in which they light up the Treasury and siq by candlelight, I would be very interested if you thought it was worth it We're also going to Wadi Rum so the landscapes should be very interesting.
Thanks.
Larry

Petrus

Re: Petra
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 12:54:37 am »

Been there, done them.

Petra by night is worth it, but take headlamps, as the Sig is quite dark. Light tripod is worth taking along also (if allowed), I did not have one but did get a passable 2 sec exposure by using an information tablet as support. It is an amazing place, I spent 2 days there, also walking the upper trails which are quite deserted. The light chances during the day quite a lot, so you are likely to shoot same spots twice as they will look different. The "Monastery" is also well worth the climb.

I took the standard "beduin camp" trip to Wadi Rum, which was ok, but after that I hired a private 4x4 which took me to the southern parts near the Saudi border. It is restricted area and I am not quite sure if it was legal or not, but the scenery there was even more amazing and no other vehicles or tourists  in sight at all. The wind carved cliffs are unreal and one could easily spend days there to shoot abstracts of changing light.

One handheld panorama looking over to Saudi Arabia (clumsy stitching, just for fun):

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 12:06:10 pm by Petrus »

lerudnick

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 05:51:47 pm »

Thanks for the tips. Looking forward to the trip. Nice shot too!
Larry

stever

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 11:45:40 pm »

I'm going to be there in late April, signed up for Petra at night.  Don't like dealing with a tripod in such situations but might reconsider.  planning to take 5D3 and 16-35 f4 IS and 35 f2 IS for hand holding. 

what focal lengths do you recommend?

Desert Mike

• Website
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 01:44:10 am »

I'd recommend a travel tripod for Petra at night (http://www.mgreenphotography.blogspot.bg/search/label/Jordan), there's not much light from the candles (though many tourists in the group had the annoying habit of shining their torches all over the walls!). It's also pretty dim early in the morning before the sun rises high enough to fill in the canyons. What about a balloon ride in Wadi Rum - the scenery is amazing. Have a good trip!

Petrus

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 03:50:31 am »

I'm going to be there in late April, signed up for Petra at night.  Don't like dealing with a tripod in such situations but might reconsider.  planning to take 5D3 and 16-35 f4 IS and 35 f2 IS for hand holding. 

what focal lengths do you recommend?

I had 18, 35 and 56mm lenses for APS-C with me, I think the 18 was most used. Some places are quite cramped. A shot tele would be useful to pick out details, take something around 85-135mm also.

jandrade

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 05:51:46 pm »

Hi! To photograph Petra by night you need the tripod, of course . But, more importantly, you need to be in the first line to photograph without "heads"! They say it starts at 20h30 but I arrived there at 20h15 and after 2 minutes I was in the way to Petra trough the Sik. The light of the candles is enough to see the Way in the Sik.

After the show (music and declamation - 20 minutes approx) you can stay 30 or 45 m more and find other angles to photograph. I used a 16-35mm f4. At  ISO 100 and f8 I needed 90 seconds of exposition. You can see the result in my facebook (search jpavandrade@gmail.com). I have been there last week. It is safe and just a few tourists were exploring Petra.

nicocornet

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 02:51:18 pm »

wadi rum is beautiful - be sure to spend nights in the desert as the morning and evening light are the best, especially from high vantage points.

Petrus: looks like we have been to the same spot :-) small world !

Petrus

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 03:17:41 pm »

wadi rum is beautiful - be sure to spend nights in the desert as the morning and evening light are the best, especially from high vantage points.

Petrus: looks like we have been to the same spot :-) small world !

Yes, we have! You were there earlier in the morning better low light shadows. My picture looks flat, compared.
Pages: [1]   Go Up