Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-trans and camera raw  (Read 6792 times)

Joe S

Fuji X-trans and camera raw
« on: February 14, 2016, 07:02:21 pm »

I am considering purchasing a Fujifilm X-t1 camera or its newer upcoming version.   I have been very happy with the Camera Raw workflow for many years but have heard that it doesn't work well with Fuji sensors.    Additionally I use Photoshop CS6 and Camera Raw 9.1.1 is the last update and have no use for the CC rental.   Does Camera Raw currently work well with the X-t1?   If I use the DNG converter in the future with a newer camera (X-t2 ?) can I expect it to work well?

mbaginy

Re: Fuji X-trans and camera raw
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 12:22:26 am »

Joe, for some two years, I've been using ACR to process images taken with my various Fujifilm cameras.  I'm very pleased!  There have been a number of threads showing image processing using other software and compared to ACR results.  I won't switch to another software, but stick with what works for me.  I've printed A2 size with my Epson 3880 and am quite pleased.  For me, ACR works "well" with X-trans raw files.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 08:01:11 am »

There are people who don't like the rendering of X-trans files in Lightroom and ACR, and there is a healthy debate about which raw converter is best. I've tried all of them, and still use Lightroom. I'm happy with the final prints up to fairly large sizes.

Your best bet is to do some testing ahead of time. If you send me a PM, I will be happy to send you some raw files, or of course you can download them from plenty of places online.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Joe S

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 03:07:00 pm »

Thanks for the input guys.   

The second issue for me is should I get the current x-t1 which is supported by Camera Raw in Photoshop CS6 or wait, as I prefer, for the x-t2 which would require that I convert to DNG as it would not be supported by Camera Raw in CS6.   I am not technically savvy enough to understand how the DNG conversion is handled in Camera Raw with an unsupported camera.   Can anyone who is advise me on this?

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 07:07:05 pm »

Thanks for the input guys.   

The second issue for me is should I get the current x-t1 which is supported by Camera Raw in Photoshop CS6 or wait, as I prefer, for the x-t2 which would require that I convert to DNG as it would not be supported by Camera Raw in CS6.   I am not technically savvy enough to understand how the DNG conversion is handled in Camera Raw with an unsupported camera.   Can anyone who is advise me on this?
When Adobe updates Adobe Camera Raw plugin for Photoshop with support for new camera models they also at the same time issue a new version of the Adobe DNG Converter application.
The Adobe DNG Converter is a stand alone application which will convert RAW files from supported camera models.

How does this help? You presently have PS CS 6 and the latest ACR version that is supported is 9.1.1, ACR is at version 9.4. So there are several new camera models that are supported by by ACR 9.4, if you purchase one of these camera models you can download the free Adobe DNG Converter version 9.4 which will permit you to convert the raw files to DNG format. The Adobe DNG Converter will place the appropriate profile for the camera model in the DNG file header.
That info is now available for use by earlier versions of ACR/LR to render the raw file.
In the final analysis you will still have to wait until Adobe provides support for the new camera model.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 07:11:37 pm by Denis de Gannes »
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

SZRitter

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 01:18:00 pm »

Some of the review sites, and possibly some members, have downloadable RAW files from different cameras. You could get a hold of some of these and try it out and see what you think.

The link below has some .raf files you can download.

Imaging Resource RAW files

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 03:30:43 pm »

I recently saw this thread on FM.  Might be worth looking into (I don't own a Fuji to test)

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1413759

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 04:51:29 pm »

One of the toughest things about Fuji X-Trans files is learning how to sharpen them in ACR/Lr.  You simply can't approach it in the same manner.  This was my starting point in learning from Peter Bridgwood.  From this article I created my own presets seasoned to my taste.

http://petebridgwood.com/wp/2014/10/x-trans-sharpening/

Another point about color in ACR/Lr.  The "Adobe Standard" profile for RAW conversion just doesn't cut it for me.  I prefer one of the other profiles as a starting point depending on the subject.  Provia, Velvia, Astia, Classic Chrome, etc.  Fuji, after all, is held in high regard for their knowledge of color and their excellent film stocks which these profiles seek to replicate.  The Fuji film profiles really shine if you're shooting JPEG.
Regards,
Ron

Joe S

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 06:08:36 pm »

Denis.   Thanks for clarifying the DNG situation.   I now have a much better understanding of my options.   Also much thanks to all for the other links, I am feeling much more educated on this subject.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 06:12:10 am »

For the little it's worth I use Nik sharpening rather than sharpen in ACR. It just seems better all round extracting a lot of sharpness without artefacts. I use it on the X-Pro and the X100.

Lundberg02

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 12:35:42 am »

Why not just use Iridient in the first place?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 03:18:56 am »

Because most people use a Windows operating system, and Iridient is Mac OS?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 03:23:44 am »

I don't want to spend £75 - seems like a good plan to me if I'm happy with what I have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up