Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image ProGraf PRO 1000  (Read 2367 times)

enduser

Image ProGraf PRO 1000
« on: February 13, 2016, 10:51:05 pm »

For anyone contemplating buying this printer, factor in the cost of printhead replacement at nearly US$1300! Wow.

http://www.inkjetprinthead.com/canon_printhead_for_imageprograf-pro-1000.htm

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
Re: Image ProGraf PRO 1000
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 05:24:09 am »

The list price of the printer is $1299, including $715 of ink. There would be no reason to even think about paying more than $600 for a print head... I would imagine this is some sort of scam ad... rather like those bargains you find among amazon listings, with the 2nd hand object at 3x new price.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 12:17:05 pm »

At the moment, the iPF Pro-1000 print heads are NOT user replaceable per Canon, but may be available in the future.  In order to replace them, you will need to contact Canon.  800-423-2366

howardm

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 12:57:19 pm »

mmm, so Canon has the expectation that everyone is going to throw away their -1000 in 2-3 years when the head dies or have to lug it to a 'repair station'?

This is unlike most of their other printers.

Perhaps it'll be that you can get a -1000 in the future for $200 with every camera.  Did they not learn anything?

rick_k

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 01:02:43 pm »

It would completely baffle me if the pro-1000 print head is not user replaceable. The installation of the print head is so simple and easy to do during setup. The only thing I can think of is some issue with spewing ink everywhere if you remove it?

They have the Prepare to Transportation which completely drains the cartridges, lines and head according to a review out of Australia. Seems like after doing that it would take about a minute.

Doesn't make sense.

Rick

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 03:52:37 am »

I think someone is confusing "not user replaceable" with "we don't have any available just now".

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 06:49:01 am »

Hard to believe it is not user replaceable since they make you install it when setting up the printer.  Also, it looks like a very robust head and I was told it should last quite a long time. We'll do some checking on this prior to printing our upcoming review on this printer.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

howardm

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 08:50:59 am »

Thanks Kevin.

Side note:  Read the blog and much congratulations on your wedding in Antarctica !!

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 11:37:55 am »

I think someone is confusing "not user replaceable" with "we don't have any available just now".

I guess you didn't read all of what I typed.  Canon said they are not user replaceable "at the moment" but may be in the future for the Pro-1000.  Yes, it's weird that it isn't user replaceable since you install it upfront.  You can always talk to Canon on this, but they are surely looking into this ability for the future.

They are hoping that the heads will last for the lifetime of the printer since it's new technology and large head from the previous versions.  This head will be in all new models coming out soon (1 large head vs 2 smaller heads).
Pages: [1]   Go Up