Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't do the Latest Adobe CC Update Yet  (Read 14116 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Don't do the Latest Adobe CC Update Yet
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 04:14:46 pm »

Stunning - thank you so much for the warning. Looks like another Adobe debacle following the Lightroom debacle with the Import module several months ago. I am given to understand that Adobe's sloppiness is causing Adobe customers to flee to alternatives such as Capture One in droves. This would just add to customer flight. I still like Lightroom very much and will give them a chance to get their act together, but as soon as I see a trend of technical sloppiness starting to affect the security of my computer environment they will lose me too - and I suspect many others. I wonder whether affected users could mount a class action in the circumstance of being able to demonstrate real harm of commercial consequence?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 04:51:28 pm »

Stunning - thank you so much for the warning. Looks like another Adobe debacle following the Lightroom debacle with the Import module several months ago. I am given to understand that Adobe's sloppiness is causing Adobe customers to flee to alternatives such as Capture One in droves. This would just add to customer flight. I still like Lightroom very much and will give them a chance to get their act together, but as soon as I see a trend of technical sloppiness starting to affect the security of my computer environment they will lose me too - and I suspect many others. I wonder whether affected users could mount a class action in the circumstance of being able to demonstrate real harm of commercial consequence?

And what would you use as an alternative to Photoshop?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 05:16:32 pm »

I hardly ever use Photoshop. Either Lightroom or Capture One are just about complete solutions for my image editing requirements. Almost the only thing for which I revert to Photoshop are Skew corrections because the Lightroom Lens Correction panel, while Upright is pretty good, just isn't quite there yet when such corrections are needed.

DougJ

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 05:18:56 pm »

Is there any evidence that PC users are similarly affected by the latest PS CC upgrade?

Doug

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 05:39:16 pm »

I hardly ever use Photoshop. Either Lightroom or Capture One are just about complete solutions for my image editing requirements. Almost the only thing for which I revert to Photoshop are Skew corrections because the Lightroom Lens Correction panel, while Upright is pretty good, just isn't quite there yet when such corrections are needed.
You could switch over to the perpetual license version of LR and avoid automatic updates until all the smoke has cleared.  That's been my option as I don't need the features in the CC version and as you don't use PS that much these days.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 05:43:14 pm »

I see the article is referring to Creative Cloud v 3.5.0.206, my version is now at v 3.5.1.209 and not seeing any ill effects. iMac with latest software version. I have no idea of the application BackBlaze or what procedures it performs. . It begs the question what is causing the problem BackBlaze or Adobe CC?
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 05:44:31 pm »

You could switch over to the perpetual license version of LR and avoid automatic updates until all the smoke has cleared.  That's been my option as I don't need the features in the CC version and as you don't use PS that much these days.

There are useful features in the CC version; but you're right - the perpetual license version is an option. One would hope the new features get ported into it with its own cyclical updates - and that those updates don't suffer from sloppy QC/QA. There should not be a situation where smoke needs to clear. This is a fairly new thing with Adobe.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 05:46:55 pm »

I see the article is referring to Creative Cloud v 3.5.0.206, my version is now at v 3.5.1.209 and not seeing any ill effects. iMac with latest software version. I have no idea of the application BackBlaze or what procedures it performs. . It begs the question what is causing the problem BackBlaze or Adobe CC?

The Ars Technica article seemed to indicate that the problem is not specific to BackBlaze and that Adobe has discontinued this update.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 05:50:48 pm »

Is there any evidence that PC users are similarly affected by the latest PS CC upgrade?

Doug

The article says it's OSX-related.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 06:02:37 pm »

Its strange I see no chatter about this on the Adobe Lightroom User to User forum.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 06:06:32 pm »

Well, if it's very recent (article is dated Feb 12), happening silently in the background to hidden files in the system root structure and people haven't noticed computer dysfunctions yet, there would be no chatter.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 06:17:09 pm »

Stunning - thank you so much for the warning. Looks like another Adobe debacle following the Lightroom debacle with the Import module several months ago.
Different IMHO but both not good signs. The Import debacle was pretty bad because the beta testers told Adobe long before release this was a really bad move. The people running the team didn't listen as they should have. This new issue is a nasty engineering bug that I can't imagine anyone inside Adobe had a clue about. Neither are acceptable but one's far worse as far as I'm concerned.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 06:19:46 pm »

I have no idea of the application BackBlaze or what procedures it performs.  It begs the question what is causing the problem BackBlaze or Adobe CC?
Cloud backup product that Adobe's installer deleted for whatever reason, some necessary files on the host computer. BackBlaze is a competitor to CrashPlan which is what I use (so I'm thankful I wasn't affected).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 03:31:14 am »

what is causing the problem BackBlaze or Adobe CC?

According to TidBits, it's the Adobe CC installer, which deletes data from the first (alphabetically) hidden folder. BackBlaze creates a hidden folder called .bzvol, which is the one that gets tampered with.

Edit: see also BackBlaze's response, here.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 03:49:18 am by kikashi »

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 04:39:08 pm »

Doug

No problem here(Windows 10 x64).

rdonson

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 08:08:28 pm »

Version 3.5.1.209 released on 2/14/2016

Fixed an issue in the Creative Cloud for desktop app for Mac where in some scenarios the application may incorrectly remove files with user writeable permissions from the system root directory.
Regards,
Ron

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 08:13:33 am »

Nice, thanks. Now I shall wait several weeks for the early adopters to determine whether more needs to be fixed.

rdonson

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 10:09:59 am »

Nice, thanks. Now I shall wait several weeks for the early adopters to determine whether more needs to be fixed.

There's always seems to be something to be fixed in Adobe apps, it's just a matter of the criticality of the bug.

Everything with this CC app update seems to be working properly for me.
Regards,
Ron

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 10:17:11 am »

So is it Adobe's fault or Apple's?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up