Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to live with a single multi-terminal port of A7x series?  (Read 6593 times)

yashima

How to live with a single multi-terminal port of A7x series?
« on: February 13, 2016, 01:19:19 pm »

A7x series cameras have only one multi-terminal port, which can as a tethering port, a flash sync port, and a cable release port. The problem is when you want to use two functions at the same time, then you are completely screwed.

I have some application that needs the camera to be connected to a machine and be trigger automatically at certain interval, at the same time tethered to a computer for images to be processed right away. And I can't figure out how to do this with A7r.

Anyone knows how we could get around this at all?

yashima

Re: How to live with a single multi-terminal port of A7x series?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 12:34:04 pm »

Anybody knows how we could split the Multi Terminal connection into two?

I thought its quite standard studio function to do all three, tethering/cable release/flash triggering at the same time.

SZRitter

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 12:57:08 pm »

Anybody knows how we could split the Multi Terminal connection into two?

I thought its quite standard studio function to do all three, tethering/cable release/flash triggering at the same time.

Just curious, as I have no experience with the A7 series or "Multi Terminal" connection, but two things came to mind...

1. Can you run the light trigger off the hotshoe, and just need the computer connection that could then be used to trigger the cable release?
2. Is there a USB style hub that can be used? Is it a standard USB plug or it's own connector?

yashima

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 06:38:06 pm »

Hi, thanks for your reply.

1. Yes I can trigger the light wirelessly off the hotshoe (for absolute reliability I still prefer cable). However that still leaves problem of one connection for both tethering and shutter release.

2. Its not a standard USB port but Sony own proprietary "multi terminal" port, its a modified micro USB.

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 06:42:50 am »

there's a flash synch port, but that leaves trigger and tether to the USB port. I use a wireless remote for triggering, but its sensitivity is quite low, you have to be in front of the camera to trigger it, usually I am behind my camera.  There is also a rather cheap battery grip with remote and timer facility, but it doesn't work with the Actus, it's too bulky.

-------------------------
[url=http://ww

Herbc

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 10:33:26 am »

Will the IR trigger on sony work if you bounce the signal off a mirror?  Sounds like a way to trigger from behind the camera. 8)

yashima

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 08:32:57 pm »

there's a flash synch port, but that leaves trigger and tether to the USB port. I use a wireless remote for triggering, but its sensitivity is quite low, you have to be in front of the camera to trigger it, usually I am behind my camera.  There is also a rather cheap battery grip with remote and timer facility, but it doesn't work with the Actus, it's too bulky.

Hi geesbert,

The problem for me is the triggering comes from another source, and it is cable only. Is there anyway I can convert the trigger release signal from mini jack to IR signal that works with the A7x? Does such adapter exist?

Zachary Goulko

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 12:47:04 pm »

A7x series cameras have only one multi-terminal port, which can as a tethering port, a flash sync port, and a cable release port. The problem is when you want to use two functions at the same time, then you are completely screwed.

I have some application that needs the camera to be connected to a machine and be trigger automatically at certain interval, at the same time tethered to a computer for images to be processed right away. And I can't figure out how to do this with A7r.

Anyone knows how we could get around this at all?

This is a major drawback to this camera. Considering the cost of the camera and that they aimed it at "professionals" it should have included a separate shutter port and flash sync port, or at least offer some sort of "splitter" cable. Even the cheap Rebels have this.
I shoot primarily still life while tethered in the studio, and often use an automated Stackshot system, or laser triggering Stopshot system for shooting liquids/splashes.
When I first got the camera I spent several weeks trying to figure out a way to tether and have hard wired access to the shutter. I went as far as purchasing different multi terminal shutter cables, taking them apart, and soldering the USB leads to a USB cable, but when the camera detects USB power it disables access to the multi port shutter (at least that's what happened in my case).
The best solution I found for using the Stackshot while being tethered was to get one of those cheap infrared remotes, taking it apart, and soldering a cable to the shutter button on the remote. I then removed the infrared bulb and attached it to another cable which I ran in front of the camera to the infrared sensor.
However if I need faster triggering like when shooting liquids with my laser trigger, I have to use the multi port cable, and shoot to an SD card instead of being tethered, which is a huge PITA. There is too much lag latency when using the infrared remote. Hopefully Sony will get their act together and add these ports to their so called "professional" cameras in the future, or at least offer some sort of splitter cable.
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 05:47:13 pm »

Just write an AppleScript to trigger the camera from Capture One without ever delay/frequency/ramp you desire.

yashima

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 10:36:23 pm »

This is a major drawback to this camera. Considering the cost of the camera and that they aimed it at "professionals" it should have included a separate shutter port and flash sync port, or at least offer some sort of "splitter" cable. Even the cheap Rebels have this.
I shoot primarily still life while tethered in the studio, and often use an automated Stackshot system, or laser triggering Stopshot system for shooting liquids/splashes.
When I first got the camera I spent several weeks trying to figure out a way to tether and have hard wired access to the shutter. I went as far as purchasing different multi terminal shutter cables, taking them apart, and soldering the USB leads to a USB cable, but when the camera detects USB power it disables access to the multi port shutter (at least that's what happened in my case).
The best solution I found for using the Stackshot while being tethered was to get one of those cheap infrared remotes, taking it apart, and soldering a cable to the shutter button on the remote. I then removed the infrared bulb and attached it to another cable which I ran in front of the camera to the infrared sensor.
However if I need faster triggering like when shooting liquids with my laser trigger, I have to use the multi port cable, and shoot to an SD card instead of being tethered, which is a huge PITA. There is too much lag latency when using the infrared remote. Hopefully Sony will get their act together and add these ports to their so called "professional" cameras in the future, or at least offer some sort of splitter cable.

Here is someone who understands my pain completely.

I couldnt agree more with you. For a professional camera, this oversight in design in puzzling. Even in their battery grip with plenty of space to add multiple connection, they decided not to.

I'm trying to find a IR remote that can connect to the mini jack of the triggering source, however that doesn't seem to exist also.

yashima

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 07:38:00 am »

Just write an AppleScript to trigger the camera from Capture One without ever delay/frequency/ramp you desire.

Thank you Doug. I need it to sync with another electronic system perfectly, however I will look into it to see if thats possible.

kc2ped

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 11:47:37 pm »

I am up the same creek with my RX10M3.

In one scenario I want to use an electronic remote shutter release while supplying external battery power.  I bought a Vello Wireless Shutterboss only to find out that it is only wireless from the hand controller to the receiver.  Rather than the receiver using the camera's hot shoe multi terminal connectors to control the camera you are required to run a jumper between the receiver and the multi terminal jack on the side of the camera and that doesn't leave me a place to plug in my power bank.

In another scenario I want to provide external power while using focus and shutter release switches mounted on the upright of my cage. I ran into problems with that when I learned that you need some black box circuitry between the switch and the camera as well as a way to plug two things into one jack.

I located a company in FL that sells bare male multiport connectors.  My plan is to make a couple of wiring harnesses to combine the desired functions on one plug.  Since I haven't been able to source female multi terminal connectors it looks like I am going to have to cut the male ends off of the respective cables and solder directly to the male multi terminal pins.  Power is supplied via the standard USB specification on the back contacts of the multi terminal connector.  the Sony multi terminal specification is available online and tells you which three front pins control focus and shutter release.

OwenR

• http://www.owenraggett.com

Rado

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 04:33:13 pm »

Does it go into the body completely? I have an a7ii and when I connect a normal usb cable for tethering - even the Sony provided one - it only goes in half way and wiggles, which is just awful. Brilliant Sony engineering my ass.
Pages: [1]   Go Up