Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 paper jam code, help to confirm belt issue  (Read 2504 times)

markdauber

z3100 paper jam code, help to confirm belt issue
« on: February 13, 2016, 10:47:38 am »

I'm resigned to the idea that I'm going to have to tear her down and replace the belt, but can someone help me confirm that this is in fact the likely problem?  My belt is NOT in shreds, but generally feels "OK".  The printer stopped printing after about 6 years of good trouble free operation.  I print probably a light load, not commercially just my own work for my own gallery, mostly large canvas prints.  I was almost through with a large print when error code occurred.  Can't see anything in the way of a paper jam.  Print head/carriage stopped on the left side of the printer (44").  When I turn the printer back on, the head "shudders" for a few seconds then moves back to the same spot on the left of middle of the printer.  It stops there.  Never goes to the right station at all.  If I lightly touch and try to move the carriage, it "shudders" again.  Any thoughts?  I just obviously don't want to tear this beast down based on the wrong diagnoses.  Thanks to anyone with advice in advance.  It's only because of this forum that I would even have a clue that I could fix this myself.  I've been studying all comments here related to this subject and have carefully studied THE VIDEO.  Thank you!

samsterid

Re: z3100 paper jam code, help to confirm belt issue
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 04:16:38 pm »

When my belt failed, the behavior was similar.
It turned out the belt had frayed and got stuck in the belt tensioner pulley wheel on the left end.
In my case there was no way to move the carriage assembly - belt was just stuck.

You should be able to get a look at that area without taking it apart.  Or just remove the left cover (only 5 screws) and you might be able to remove the printheads and have a look there.

Another slim possibility is one of the star wheels popped loose and landed in the carriage assembly path.
That happened to me recently and it ruined one of the printheads.

Good luck - Sam

markdauber

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 04:58:21 pm »

Thanks Sam,
As soon as I figure out how to I'll post my other comments.  Turns out it was a thread from the belt that wrapped around the motor gear.   So I'm preparing for my new hobby.

I'll keep posting my progress.
Mark

markdauber

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 11:59:09 am »

I would like to post a private message from Mark Lindquist which has helped me greatly to ID this problem correctly.  Can someone tell me how to post those messages to the forum?  Sorry to be such a Newby...

markdauber

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 02:21:30 pm »

This is I suppose an unnecessary question, but regarding my belt replacement adventure; although I have--after six years--not needed to replace any of my print heads, should I go ahead and order a complete set now, or just use the ones I have and wait for them to fail?

Thanks again to LL and the folks on this forum for all the help.
Best
Mark

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 02:33:54 pm »

This is I suppose an unnecessary question, but regarding my belt replacement adventure; although I have--after six years--not needed to replace any of my print heads, should I go ahead and order a complete set now, or just use the ones I have and wait for them to fail?

Thanks again to LL and the folks on this forum for all the help.
Best
Mark

Yep.  I would highly recommend that.       Actually, I would stress that.
Keep the old ones in the new containers after you install the new ones and save 'em for emergencies.
Freezer bags are your friend.

Clean the contacts with distilled water and lint free cloth/wipes while you're at it.

How to post PM's here:  hmmmm.... cut and paste?  :-)

Mark

Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

markdauber

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 02:37:41 pm »

Thanks Mark L.  I'll cut and paste.  Newbie thought there was perhaps some sanctioned method that needed to be respected.
Mark D

markdauber

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 02:40:11 pm »

All, This is the part of the thread that was personal message previously; sharing to help anyone who might benefit:

Thank you so much Mark.  its code 86:01.  I've unplugged and rebooted many times.  The head literally will no move further than a few inches from the left edge towards the middle when it initializes.  I tried to gently "encourage" it but no movement so can't pull print heads, etc. It DID move more than this in earlier initialize off/on cycles after I first got the code.  Also won't move with power off.  I cannot see or feel any kind of obstruction near the head.  Any idea how to free the head so I can perform other steps?  BTW the cleaning area is nasty but I don't think that is new, I've just never looked in there with a bright light before.  OH I just found this (hope picture inserts)  Looks like string (part of belt?) wrapped around the stepper motor teeth and under belt?  I can't figure out how to insert a picture of this but will try.

Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark,

Not sure you saw the replay I left for you on the forum to your post.  OK, well, now it does sound like a belt issue.  Actually, you're going to have to replace the belt ultimately very soon.  If you're going to fix it, you'll need to pull the whole thing apart and do a totally thorough cleaning and get all the crud out of there. - Best to do as much vacuuming and wiping as you can before pulling it.  Take tons of photos at each step of the way.

One thing you might want to consider is the possibility of picking up a used or new Z3200ps printer.  The only reason to keep the Z3100 is for B+W work.  Otherwise the Z3200ps beats it.  But if you get a used one, you might have to pull it apart to change the belt too.

See if you can cut the string off of the stepper pulley and if you can, maybe the head will move for you.

There is a way to move the carriage but it involves taking the right side of the printer apart.

If the printer is off, you should be able to move the carriage unless it's hung on something.  Try pulling and pushing with a little more force.

If you break it, I never said that, LOL.

Might as well start getting your gear and supplies together, get your manual printed, and review everything again and jump into it.

Read my page on it a few more times before you go at it:

My Repair Notes

markdauber

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 10:55:52 am »

Ok, So I'm pretty far along in the re-assembly of the z3100, all clean and with a new belt.  I've been methodical and feel really good about the project!  QUESTION; the little darkly recessed T10 cap that we turned counter clockwise to free the print head from the Service station--do I at some point move the head back to the Service station and turn clockwise to Lock it back?  How will it unlock?  This part is a mystery to me.
Thanks
Mark

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 01:29:54 pm »

Ok, So I'm pretty far along in the re-assembly of the z3100, all clean and with a new belt.  I've been methodical and feel really good about the project!  QUESTION; the little darkly recessed T10 cap that we turned counter clockwise to free the print head from the Service station--do I at some point move the head back to the Service station and turn clockwise to Lock it back?  How will it unlock?  This part is a mystery to me.
Thanks
Mark

DO NOT re-lock it after assembly.  It self-locks after assembly.  Just get the carriage back on the rail and finish up.
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

markdauber

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 12:29:38 pm »

IT WORKED!  I have completed the belt replacement, reassembled the printer, and am printing again.  You can do this with the help of the great online video and the great folks on this site (especially your help Mark Lindquist!). I think the re-assembly was the most difficult part an that was not really difficult, just a matter of going slow and being very methodical.  I did have a clogged yellow printhead, but got that cleaned up by running the maintenance procedure.  Thanks to everyone for the help, and don't be afraid to do this if you are inclined to try!

markdauber

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 11:12:34 am »

One thing I should add for those who want to do this.  I put each batch of parts that related to a particular step into individual ziplock bags But I added the time code from the video that related to each step.  This was a big help when reassembling the printer.  Several times I had to refer to the time code of a step to remind me of the sequence for reassembly. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up