Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pacific Coast To Atlantic Coast Driving Trip  (Read 4770 times)

ag3photography

Pacific Coast To Atlantic Coast Driving Trip
« on: May 05, 2006, 08:45:06 pm »

Within the next month, I will driving from San Francisco to Jacksonville Florida.  I want to take approx. two weeks to make the trip, allowing for stops to create some landscape photography.  I might be able to take more time if I need to for stops along the way, but I would like to keep it to a two week driving trip max.

Do you have any suggestions for stops along the way? I will most likely travel across the southern half of the United States.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 10:56:51 pm »

O, you lucky DOG!  

I'm sure there will be a ton of suggestions here.  

In the meantime, check out

www.byways.org

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 11:49:42 am »

What I'd do:

Cross the Sierras through Yosemite if Tioga Pass is open for the summer yet, or through Tahoe if it isn't.  Drive down highway 395 to gawk at the stunning east wall of the Sierras (and do a little hiking if you have time; South Lake out of Bishop is especially gorgeous), do a small side trip to the bristlecone pines (if the road is open for the summer) in the White Mountains, which also has great views of the east wall of the Sierras, if you have an interest in it (Galen Rowell did some great photography there; oh yes, visit his gallery in Bishop, along 395, on your way through).  Death Valley will be quite toasty, but doable if you don't mind extreme heat, and cut east to Las Vegas (fun, and good for silly brightly-lit night shots) and continue on to Utah, seeing Zion, Bryce, the north rim of the Grand Canyon, Arches and Canyonlands (all those are fantastic).  Beyond that, you're out of my area of expertise.  But then I'd cross the midwestern plains fast - I've done that once, round trip, and it was about one time too many (apologies to any midwesterners here  ).  San Antonio was pretty pleasant, you should stop there if you're crossing through Texas rather than farther north, but not much in the way of photographic opportunities that I'm aware of.  It would be interesting to stop in New Orleans to see how it's rebuilding from the hurricane (and possibly get some documentary-style photographs of any remaining devastation, rebuilding efforts, etc.), and, if the top restaurants have reopened, it has some of the best food anywhere.

Lisa
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 11:54:12 am by nniko »
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Noctilux50

• http://www.mountain-and-desert.com
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 02:30:06 pm »

First, you're lucky to have the time for this!

I know more about locations closer to home (SF bay area), but I've traveled  too.

If you haven't yet, get down to Palo Alto Baylands for stunning coastal marsh landscapes and a very approachable egret/night-heron rookery. Snowy egret nestling activity starts now. For more information, see my photo essay on P.42 of June 2006 Birder's World.

Yosemite valley is overrun. Don't go there - if Tioga Pass is open, Tuolumne Meadows is pretty. A little further east near Tioga Pass, Mono Meadow is even prettier. If you have an afternoon, scramble up Mt. Dana for a panaramic view of the Cathedral Range to the west and the Mono Basin to the east. On your way up Mt. Dana, you'll see yellow bellied marmots - they'll definitely get close enough to photograph with your 80-200mm lens.

After you've driven down towards Mono Basin, make a stop at Matt Toomey's Whoa Nellie Deli. It's in the gas station(!) to your right at the junction with California 395. Try the ragin' Cajun jambalaya. Then photograph Mono Lake and Negit Island from the ridge next to the deli.

If only Sonora Pass (CA 108) is open, take it to CA 395 instead. You'll go over passes pedaled by riders on the Markleeville Death Ride (Tour of the California Alps). Then head south on 395 to Mono Basin and Lee Vining.

Northwest of Mono Lake are the Dechambeau Ponds, home territory to lots of noisy yellow-headed blackbirds and great marsh scenery.

Find Bodie ghost town by heading north of Mono Lake on 395 - then follow the signs. This town the state preserves in a state of arrested decay is well worth a detour  - bring your wide angle lens, and hope for rain to keep crowds away and trim the dynamic range to something you can record on film or pixels.

If you go north on I80 to Tahoe, there's lots of places you'll want to stop. Only trouble is the drive across Nevada that follows - not too much out there.  Watch for egrets along the Snake River when you get close to Idaho - if you go that far north. Snake River Birds of Prey NCA and the Peregrine Fund's headquarters south of Boise are both worth a look. As you approach Jackson, Wyoming, there's a lot of mountain scenery. If you get to Jackson Hole, watch for bison, elk and moose.

If you head southeast through Arizona, Phoenix hasn't a whole lot to recommend it. There's great scenery east and west, though. North is Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon, and the big prize - Grand Canyon National Park. There are also Anasazi ruins at Palatki and Tuzigoot. South is Tuscon, Subino Canyon and the Kit Peak Observatory.

In southern Utah, go to Bryce Canyon. You'll see giant red asparagus and other neat formations in this stone Rorschach test. Sunrise Point and the Fairyland Loop trail are worth the time.

Zion has its own beauty - the Checkerboard Mesa, the Great White Throne, and the Weeping Wall are unique - but it may remind you of Yosemite.

Then there's Moab. You'll find Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, plus more BLM land than you can shake a stick at. Arches is good for a day's scramble - climb around the WIndows area, and walk out to Delicate Arch for a classic red-rock landscape. Canyonlands is better on a mountain bike or four wheel drive. If you can, ride out to the Green-Colorado River confluence. The Jughandle Loop is probably the most scenic trail, mile-for-mile. You'll need great legs and lungs, and about a day to ride it.

For mountain bike riders, a copy of Todd Campbell's "Above and Beyond Slickrock" is an essential guide to rides in the area. Todd's ridden them all in the nearly 20 years he's lived in Moab.

In northern Utah, go to Antelope Island in Great Salt Lake.

You'll see great views of the Wasatch Range, Avocets in the lake by the causeway on the way, and lots of bison. You may catch a glimpse of the  pronghorn the island's named for if you're lucky.

Further east in the Wasatch Range near Logan  and Hyrum, find Hardware Ranch WMA. Views in Blacksmith Fork Canyon on the way there are worth it. The Ranch hosts Wagons West rides to beaver dams and other wildlife hangouts. In winter, there are rides to view elk that feed in the Canyon.

Continuing northeast, there are lots of Anasazi sites in the Four Corners area. Mesa Verde is overtouristed - but further southeast, Chaco Canyon isn't as bad. Canyon De Chelly and Monument Valley offer more desert scenery and Anasazi ruins.

Further north on I70, Grand Junction and the whole Grand Mesa area present incredible mountain landscapes. If you have time, drive the Million Dollar Highway (Colorado 550) south through Ouray and Durango for incredible alpine scenery - green meadows and craggy peaks of many 14ers.

continuing east on I70, Glenwood Springs and the country around Basalt, Carbondale, and Aspen are worth a stop. If you have a mountain bike and some time, trails around Mount Sopris and the Lincoln Mining country are worth a ride.

Denver has lots to see - but I'd detour north to Boulder for better scenery.

Or head south to Colorado Springs. Stop at Garden Of The Gods for a red-rock fairyland. The Air Force Academy offers cool architecture with the Front Range as a backdrop.

Continuing southeast, the volcanic landscape of El Malpais and El Morro National Monuments are worth a stop. So is Acoma, one of the oldest Pueblo villages in the U.S. It was called Sky City by the Spanish and early Caucasian settlers.

Make a detour south of Albuquerque on I25 to Bosque del Apache NWR.  It offers views of hawks, eagles and other raptors in a wood oasis formerly used by the Apache.

I've only been to isolated places further east - I'd stop in New Orlean's French Quarter. Jackson Square and the spectacle of Bourbon Street are worth a look - and you help the local economy by spending a little money there.

Artie Morris gets great bird images at Fort DeSoto and other spots in southwest Florida. Check out his site at www.birdsasart.com for more ideas.

Enjoy your trip!
Mark Bohrer
Mountain and Desert Photogra

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 01:21:54 am »

I agree with Lisa's suggestions, namely Tioga Pass, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon North Rim, Zion and/or Bryce, Moab, exiting UT at Grand Junction.  The CO Rockies, while paling in comparison to the REAL Rockies in Canada  make for a good cool respite after the deserts.

Further east, I'd tend to bend north a little before crossing the great plains.  The run across TX and OK is too dreary to describe, especiall if it's hot.  Kansas and Missouri provide a better experience, IMO.  I wouldn't start southwards until you cross the Mississippi, delaying further until you hit the Appalachians would be even better.  It's all about time at that stage, I guess.

What kind of vehicle?

Peter

ag3photography

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 08:06:16 pm »

A BIG thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far.

The vehicle will be a 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe 4x4.

You have all given me a lot to choose from.

A.J.

I agree with Lisa's suggestions, namely Tioga Pass, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon North Rim, Zion and/or Bryce, Moab, exiting UT at Grand Junction.  The CO Rockies, while paling in comparison to the REAL Rockies in Canada  make for a good cool respite after the deserts.

Further east, I'd tend to bend north a little before crossing the great plains.  The run across TX and OK is too dreary to describe, especiall if it's hot.  Kansas and Missouri provide a better experience, IMO.  I wouldn't start southwards until you cross the Mississippi, delaying further until you hit the Appalachians would be even better.  It's all about time at that stage, I guess.

What kind of vehicle?

Peter
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=64756\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hank

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 10:39:05 pm »

You didn't say anything about driving in a straight line!    

How about a general course with lots of side loops?

I just finished making two trips from Sacremento into Colorado.  I picked Hwy 50 starting in Sacremento, crossing Nevada and connecting with I-70 in Utah, then on to Colorado.  You've never heard of many of the places along the route, but the scenery (including Great Basin NP) was stunning.  

Hwy 50 makes more or less a straight line across the three states, and if you are up for side trips you can hit lots of the icons along the way too.  Since you are 4WD, get the topo atlas for each state you will cross and pay special attention to the small roads without asphalt.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 10:40:04 pm by Hank »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 11:24:47 pm »

The reason I asked about the vehicle was to determine whether or not you could sleep in it.  On a trip like that, I'd be sleeping in the vehicle nightly, at least until I got to the prairies.  Sleeping in the vehicle allows you to be ON LOCATION and shooting at dawn and sunset.  This would be nearly impossible otherwise.

Truck stops have great, cheap showers.

As I said, "You lucky DOG!"  
Pages: [1]   Go Up