Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Boundary Warp and Now Rotating my Pano's  (Read 5757 times)

CatcityGary

• Lets try to see the Big Picture
No Boundary Warp and Now Rotating my Pano's
« on: February 12, 2016, 02:21:32 pm »

I am using LR 6 and recently updated to 6.4. Was looking forward to the boundary warp feature as I do a lot of Pano photography. I updated from within the program by clicking on Update. And when I check it says I am running version 6.4. However I have no boundary warp feature showing when I get to the merge screen. Also I have been doing pano's for a long time and LR has been great, but now LR is rotating my images when I go to merge. Images were shot in vertical orientation on a Nikon D800E to make a horizontal pano. When LR goes to merge them it now creates a vertical pano in the preview screen. Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing or did the upgrade not install properly? Everything else seems to be working fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Gary

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: No Boundary Warp and Now Rotating my Pano's
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 03:47:08 pm »

Hi Gary,

None of that sounds right, as you know.  I would un-install the program LR, and re-install it.  Make sure you back up the current catalog. I have had load issues but nothing like this.  I am also always seeing the message "this image appears to be damaged" anytime I run a pano from LR created HDR files.

For the record, with 6.4 I am not seeing your issues and I run a lot of pano's also, but there are a lot of other issues LR is not currently addressing.  See my post in this forum. 

I have also seen several hard crashes, in  6.4 , one that froze my entire PC, something I have never seen LR do before.  Also sadly 6.4 still runs very slow when Open CL (GPU support is turned on).  Still totally amazes me that CC runs great, no draw issues, no move issues nothing, and LR basically is at times glacially slow.  The program itself can take as long as 30 seconds to totally load.

I am running on a Win 64 PC, 32GB of ram, 3.4 Intel processor, i7.  I actually have LR running across MAC and PC and it runs the same for me on all the machines. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 05:00:40 pm »

It's a CC only feature, if that's relevant.

John

CatcityGary

• Lets try to see the Big Picture
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 07:02:53 pm »

Hi John,
At first I thought it was a CC only feature as well. But I have now heard a lot of people comment on using it in 6.4 along with it being in the CC version also. Paul mentions that it is working for him. So now I am thinking that it is just a glitch in my version of download.
Maybe someone using the perpetual license 6.4 version of Lightroom could confirm that it is a feature in this version and not only in CC.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 07:46:10 pm »

I am running the CC version of LR. Sorry for the confusion.

One advantage to the CC version I guess as they can roll out feature upgrades like boundary warp.

Just wish they could figure out how to fix the overall performance of the product.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 07:47:47 pm »

Hi John,
At first I thought it was a CC only feature as well. But I have now heard a lot of people comment on using it in 6.4 along with it being in the CC version also. Paul mentions that it is working for him. So now I am thinking that it is just a glitch in my version of download.
Maybe someone using the perpetual license 6.4 version of Lightroom could confirm that it is a feature in this version and not only in CC.
John is absolutely correct the new "Boundary Warp" feature for the HDR merge for Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw only functions with the Creative Cloud Version of Lightroom. The update of LR 6.4 only contains bug fixes, new RAW support for new Camera models and additional Lens Correction profiles. Paul may have a creative cloud subscription or a trial version functioning.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 04:53:13 am »

The update of LR 6.4 only contains bug fixes, new RAW support for new Camera models and additional Lens Correction profiles.
It does also include the performance improvements in the panorama merge function, but not the boundary warp feature.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 05:24:35 am »

Just wish they could figure out how to fix the overall performance of the product.

Yes, that would be good.  It definitely helps to use a powerful processor.  I recently upgraded the motherboard in my PC to one with an Intel i7-6700K, which I overclcock a bit.  That (and using an SSD to store catalog, raw cache and previews) makes quite a difference.  Even now, some operations (e.g. rendering 36 Mpixel images at 100%) are not instantaneous (2-3 seconds)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 10:22:11 am »

To me LR's inability to run consistently is the single largest issue with the program.  I am running on a i7 3.4, not overclocked, with 32GB of ram on a 1.5 year old Asus board.  OS on one SSD and LR catalog on a separate SSD.  I have now a nvidia card 970GX with 4GB of ram.  This should be plenty for LR or any current program that is windows based.  You can check or uncheck the "gpu" button in preferences, and it makes no differences.  In fact the gpu selection in LR seems to make the processing slower and more prone to crashes.  Sad state of affairs for LR, when it's sister program CC Photoshop to me is just the opposite, runs, fast, never crashes, zooms in and out to 100% in microseconds, no hesitations and can operate with a 30" screen at a 100% view.

All other imaging programs I run, CC Photoshop, C1, Premier Pro, have no issues on this machine.  However with LR 5.x an now 6.x I always see bog downs, and slow downs.  I use a 30" monitor, and you can forget using LR on a full screen as it will really blog down on 100% views, moving around an image etc.  If you have an image with a lot of adjustments, then this just gets much worse.  I have re-loaded LR, totally, and still it has to me major issues. 

I am starting to believe that a lot of other users, just use LR to make a raw conversion and catalog, and don't seem to seem to use all the tools. I am just the opposite, as I now do (attempt to in LR) the vast majority of my work in LR.  Take a D810 or Fuji X-T1 file add 3 to 6 adjustment brushes and a ND filter and just watch the performance drop.  This issue is not new and has been mentioned before but for some reason Adobe just doesn't seem willing to fix it. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Simon Garrett

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 11:16:34 am »

I use LR (CC) and often edit very extensively, but don't have quite the issues Paul2660 reports.

LR certainly likes lots and lots of processing power.  I have recently upgraded to an i7-6700K, overclocked to just over 4.5GHz.  A fast processor, and an SSD for catalogue, previews and raw cache make a big difference. 

It still isn't instantaneous: rendering 36Mpixel images takes up to 1 second (if there isn't an existing preview), or at 100% it takes 2-3 seconds to render.  On images with a large number of local edits then it still slows down sometimes, but for me it's usable.

A fast graphics card makes relatively little difference, AFAIK, although apparently it makes more difference on a large screen.  See this post from Eric Chan: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1828580.

Perversely, I think I've had more crashes in Photoshop than in Lightroom. 

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 01:41:35 pm »

Hello Simon,

I have my catalog on a separate SSD, and moved the LR cache to another SSD, (I assume that is the same as raw cache?), but not sure how to move my previews to the SSD, I have always assumed the previews were in the catalog. 

Previews are one of the big issues I have, as once a image has a lot of adjustments on it, I can see wait times from 5 to 15 seconds to display an image at 100%, however this always seems to vary, on each boot of my PC. Sometimes are better than others.

Thanks
Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

rdonson

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 02:09:14 pm »

Adobe really needs to get their act together on performance and the quality of their releases.  I have no idea if their test and QA teams quit or what  but this latest bug with the CC app itself is really problematic.  I'm tired of them congratulating themselves on all the "mobile" stuff and seemingly ignoring the quality of their core business.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/02/warning-bug-in-adobe-creative-cloud-deletes-mac-user-data-without-warning/

Regards,
Ron

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 02:24:54 pm »

That's quite a bug,  had not seen that. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Simon Garrett

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 05:09:03 pm »

Hello Simon,

I have my catalog on a separate SSD, and moved the LR cache to another SSD, (I assume that is the same as raw cache?), but not sure how to move my previews to the SSD, I have always assumed the previews were in the catalog. 

Previews are one of the big issues I have, as once a image has a lot of adjustments on it, I can see wait times from 5 to 15 seconds to display an image at 100%, however this always seems to vary, on each boot of my PC. Sometimes are better than others.

Thanks
Paul C
I'm pretty sure previews are always stored in folders under the folder containing the catalogue.  For example, my catalog is:
"C:\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat"

And the previews are in:
"C:\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata"  (that's a folder, not a file).

The raw cache is by default in "C:\users\<user name>\AppData\Adobe\CameraRaw\Cache" and as the name implies, it's shared with ACR.  You can move it I think in menu Edit -> Preferences -> File Handling tab

Also setting the size of raw cache (same place in preferences) to at least 10G is a good idea. 

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 06:13:24 pm »

I am using LR 6 and recently updated to 6.4. Was looking forward to the boundary warp feature as I do a lot of Pano photography. I updated from within the program by clicking on Update. And when I check it says I am running version 6.4. However I have no boundary warp feature showing when I get to the merge screen. Also I have been doing pano's for a long time and LR has been great, but now LR is rotating my images when I go to merge. Images were shot in vertical orientation on a Nikon D800E to make a horizontal pano. When LR goes to merge them it now creates a vertical pano in the preview screen. Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing or did the upgrade not install properly? Everything else seems to be working fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Gary

Hi Gary,

Did you solve your problem with Lightroom doing all panoramas horizontal vertically? I just found out that since I updated to version 6.4 Panorama is not longer working as expected. All my panoramas are created vertically, when they are horizontal, whatever projection I select... only exception the ones done with my 24 mm Tilt-Shift lens shifting the lens. And I noticed that my last panorama done with 6.3, Lightroom 6.4 says it is not possible to make it...

Regards,

David

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 11:04:52 pm »

This is so strange. Are you on the CC version 6.4?  I have the latest CC LR version and have not seen this error.  Your preview box shows what I believe is the boundary warp dialog so it must be the CC version.

If you create the pano then rotate it back to horizontal does it work OK? 
Hopefully Adobe will address this soon.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Fernando García

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 01:08:03 am »

I am also always seeing the message "this image appears to be damaged" anytime I run a pano from LR created HDR files.

Same problem here on Windows 8.1.

If I apply a 100 boundary warp correction, the message no longer appears. I tried to apply a correction of only 1 to trick LR6CC, but didn't work.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 01:44:49 am »

This is so strange. Are you on the CC version 6.4?  I have the latest CC LR version and have not seen this error.  Your preview box shows what I believe is the boundary warp dialog so it must be the CC version.

If you create the pano then rotate it back to horizontal does it work OK? 
Hopefully Adobe will address this soon.

Paul C

Sorry, my bad, still used to call it Lightroom X.Y... yes, It is the latests version of Lightroom CC (I'm subscribed to the Photoshop + Lightroom combo).

Yes, it is an inconvenience more than other thing... I just can rotate it later one after the panorama is made. Just a bit tiny representation in this way to see the effects of different projections or boundary warp. Anyway, I will do a bit more of testing and then report a bug back to Adobe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up