Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Considering a Pentax 645z  (Read 12686 times)

TonyW

Re: Considering a Pentax 645z
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 03:56:15 pm »

Sorry for a delay in returning to the thread I have just packed up the Pentax for its return.

gavincato, thanks.  I will be keeping budget low for the moment and will be looking at the used market or the odd hire as needed, until budget and CC recovers.

Ken R, for me the flash sync is not a huge deal although it would be good to see Pentax release a new LS lens.  I did play a little with my Nikon, Yongnou flash along with wireless triggers and as expected (hoped for) works fine in manual mode only - therefore no problem. 
I think there are ways around the slower flash sync well only compromises.  ND filter to balance daylight exposure to flash or perhaps better a third party HSS flash trigger which will allow sync up to the camera maximum speed.  Disadvantage of course is losing flash power with HSS.

leeonmaui
, I have come to the same conclusion.  I just love this camera, the handling, the provision of mainly button controls without too much menu mining.  So many things that I like that I can turn a blind eye to those things that I prefer on the Nikon.

Having it for the weekend allowed at least some time to try and evaluate, although family matters did intrude somewhat  :( and the weather was foul just giving time for a couple of hours walk in a very overcast grey park. 

Set the camera to TAV, auto ISO to 6400 max and shutter to 1/125 around f/5.6/-f/6.3.  Pretty much treating the camera as a point and shoot to see how well it handled and how I could manage with it being strapped on the shoulder and how usable for me handheld.  Expecting to use it mainly on tripod to get the very best.

Was going to attempt some comparison shots D800e to 645z but realised that this would not really tell a great deal about the sensor but would be more revealing of the particular sensor glass combination.  So unless the same glass used on both cameras and care taken to assure that image size comparable perhaps a wasted effort.
Anyway just did one comparison that seems meaningful to me at least. 

I am not particularly keen on the 35mm aspect ratio of 3:2 much preferring 5:4 or 4:3 (accepting that aesthetics and image needs dictate final crop).  So setting the Nikon to 5:4 crop seemed a sensible comparison and compared close enough to the 4:3 aspect of the Pentax.  So really I would say that under these circumstances a 36 MP sensor becomes 25 MP and therefore the sensor area difference is 2x approx (not the 1.7x quoted).  With good glass I believe that this should yield dividends in IQ when printing large or printing subjects where either 600 ppi or 720 ppi image would show benefits - assuming that we will all walk up to a print as close as our belly or nose permits  ;D

After all this I was so sad to let the camera go that I ordered one including the 55mm lens that appears to be included at the same price - at least to the end of this month.
Thanks again to all.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 03:59:55 pm by TonyW »

gavincato

• Gavin Cato Photography
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 05:54:30 pm »

good stuff. And yes I love the 4:3 of the 645z, something I never even thought of before buying it but now that I'm used to it very fond of it.

orc73

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2016, 03:52:44 am »

selling mine in perfect condition:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yys20km22bc24yw/pentax.pdf?dl=0

I go to travel and it's not ideal for that. Perfect camera besides.

gwhitf

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2016, 05:52:54 pm »

I owned the 645D for a long time. Nice camera with the 55, but the buffer was horrible when shooting people. It would simply lock up after a few frames.

I bought the 645Z when it came out but returned it after a week, due to:

* Image Transmitter software was lame. Pentax rep said "Oh yeah it'll tether fine". Rep was obviously was not a working photographer.

* Main thing: It just seems that Ricoh does not care about the camera. Seems like an afterthought. They get it 90% there, but then won't go that last 10% to get it to be a working camera. This is NOT a system to invest in, unless you want to just go shoot landscapes with it on the weekends. But it's not a system for a commercial photographer.

* Buffer is fixed in the Z camera. Much better buffer.

* Tilting LCD seems silly. Seems ripe to break off in the middle of a job.

* Basically, one center autofocus spot. They say it'll go off center a bit but only moves a small bit. Nowhere near the 35mm cameras. In the real world, there's one center spot. FAIL.

* Price is good.

* Really nice viewfinder. Large. And really nice proportion to the frame.

* In short, there are so many negatives, compared to positives, for me I think it's not worth considering, compared to Nikon or Canon. Just let the camera die, just like Ricoh really wants. They invest in it like a red-headed stepchild. Avoid.

* Why drag around a camera like this, when the 5dsr or 800R are out there, used with Sigma Art lenses -- much cheaper, with a zillion more features?

* Seemed like Adobe did not even care to make it work directly with Lightroom. That says a lot right there. And no way would Phase make it work with C1.

* Avoid.

macz5024

• http://www.markuszuber.com
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2016, 10:55:06 am »

For me it is definitely a keeper for landscape photography - it has never let me down in the past 18 months - and I travel quite frequently - not the ultimate image quality (as we know from the new P1 systems) but at least as good as the best DSLR you can get today and with a lot of flexibility for an MF camera.
I would only give it away, if I would get a 80-100 MP Pentax 645xy instead - but then Adobe would have to do their homework in order to have a reasonable speed of LR on Mac working on large files. Too bad that C1 does not support it.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2016, 12:55:11 pm »

The Pentax was from the beginning targeted at domestic market japanese landscape hobbyists. It has entirely fulfilled its promise but struggles to escape this niche. A rare case of  truth in advertising.

Edmund

For me it is definitely a keeper for landscape photography - it has never let me down in the past 18 months - and I travel quite frequently - not the ultimate image quality (as we know from the new P1 systems) but at least as good as the best DSLR you can get today and with a lot of flexibility for an MF camera.
I would only give it away, if I would get a 80-100 MP Pentax 645xy instead - but then Adobe would have to do their homework in order to have a reasonable speed of LR on Mac working on large files. Too bad that C1 does not support it.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Dshelly

• Darryl Shelly Photography
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2016, 02:11:00 pm »

I bought into this system early, so there was definitely some issues I had. One was shooting tethered, but when Pentax released the Lightroom plugin, I've been able to use this without error on many commercial shoots. I find that the autofocus points work just fine – and for medium format, Pentax has more focus points than other MF brands. The files are amazing and the dynamic range serves my needs.

Couple things I would like to see - more autofocus points (apparently that's a hard thing to do with medium format digital), I would like a quicker, easier way to select different autofocus points. I want to either see Pentax offer a higher synch speed or roll out some leaf lenses. I've signed the petition to encourage Profoto to offer an HSS Air Remote for Pentax.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 05:37:05 pm by Dshelly »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2016, 03:21:19 pm »

I bought into this system early, so there was definitely some issue I had. One was shooting tethered, but when Pentax released the Lightroom plugin, I've been able to use this without on many commercial shoots. I find that the autofocus points work just fine and for medium format, Pentax has more focus points than other MF brands. The files are amazing and the dynamic range serves my needs.

Couple things I would like to see - more autofocus points (apparently that's a hard thing to do with medium format digital), I would like a quicker, easier way to select different autofocus points. I want to either see Pentax offer a higher synch speed or roll out some leaf lenses. I've signed the petition to encourage Profoto to offer an HSS Air Remote for Pentax.

It will be interesting to see what Pentax does to improve this product. They could go mirrorless, they could provide multi-axis stabilisation and multishot. Somebody should finally make a mirroless medium format camera.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

gavincato

• Gavin Cato Photography
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2016, 10:04:50 pm »

"* Main thing: It just seems that Ricoh does not care about the camera. Seems like an afterthought. They get it 90% there, but then won't go that last 10% to get it to be a working camera. This is NOT a system to invest in, unless you want to just go shoot landscapes with it on the weekends. But it's not a system for a commercial photographer."

No camera is perfect. I don't even know what this mystery 10% is that you are referring to, but you can find flaws in any system. Heck I'm sure i could find things on a $40,000 camera that annoy me.

"* Tilting LCD seems silly. Seems ripe to break off in the middle of a job."

Personally, I never tilt it. But did it actually break on you or are you just looking for problems?

"* Why drag around a camera like this, when the 5dsr or 800R are out there, used with Sigma Art lenses -- much cheaper, with a zillion more features?"

Sure, it'll be cheaper, faster, easier to use, more features, faster apertures. But it won't have as good IQ - which is really why we get MF right?

"* Seemed like Adobe did not even care to make it work directly with Lightroom. That says a lot right there. "

Interesting that I use lightroom every day with 645z files.

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2016, 12:32:03 pm »

Gavin, maybe you remember Ken Rockwell doing a "review" of the 645D and basically trashing the camera for being an amateur tool because it had buttons for the various Jpeg look modes among other things. What makes a pro tool seems to change from individual to individual. Some folks love to pick at the most random things to discredit a product that does not jive with them for other reasons.

I like the 645D and 645Z (still have both) and have used them in a wide range of conditions without issues. Traveling with the system is more of a hassle than with my sony a7r kit, but the shooting ergonomics, resulting files and the fact the camera is not built like a toy makes it safer to rely on when it matters.

orc73

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2016, 12:06:37 am »

Quicker easier method to select AF points?
it is quicker then with the a7 series. You can set it in the menu to judt jave the direction buttons reacting directly to move the AF points. There is no quicker way i can imagine, it is just like canikon can do if set in custome settings. And sony did not manage to offer this option, still need to go 2 steps.

quote author=Dshelly link=topic=108107.msg910919#msg910919 date=1463940660]
I bought into this system early, so there was definitely some issues I had. One was shooting tethered, but when Pentax released the Lightroom plugin, I've been able to use this without error on many commercial shoots. I find that the autofocus points work just fine – and for medium format, Pentax has more focus points than other MF brands. The files are amazing and the dynamic range serves my needs.

[/quote]

GX680III

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2016, 09:18:46 am »

Sorry I've come to this topic so late. 

I love the camera but have been disappointed by the glass having suffered from major chroma issues wide-open on the 45mm, 45-85 and 80-160 lenses, although the 150mm f2.8 IF was a joy to use.  I decided to run a comparison of image quality between the Pentax kit and my old Hasselblad H1 + 80mm + 50-110 and Contax 645 + 35mm + 45 + 80 + 140 and 210.  The Hasselblad lenses (made by Fuji) and Zeiss lenses had the edge over my Pentax glass but the Pentax and Contax cameras offered the best ergonomics and a far greater range of shutter speeds than the 6x6 Blad.  The Blad and Contax were attached to an Ixpress 132C digital back which is not ideal due to the need to carry the Imacon Image Bank with trailing cable about the place. 

I've been a lover of Pentax glass since the 1970s when I first got hold of a 6x7, inspired by my old friend Sam Haskins.  Sadly, I decided to abandon my Pentax gear (still have my old 6x7 though!) and have retained the Blad.  I foolishly sold my Contax 645 kit and have decided to replace the body at least as I loved using it with my Mamiya 645 Auto Bellows N + 55mm N Sekor lens for macro work.  I'm sure that if I could have afforded the very best prime lenses offered by Pentax for the 645, I may well have been pleased with the results but as a mere hobbyist I could not justify the cost.  I loved the camera so much that I expect I'll revisit it one day, if I can afford the top of the range lenses.

On a minor note, I found the AF360GZ II flash a superb partner for the camera and with the apertures closed down, most of my best images were produced that way.

orc73

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2016, 04:13:55 am »

@gx680III

the lenses you mention are really not comparable to the Hassy and Contax lenses. I used them, not sharp, the 150mm is ok, the others should not be used on a 645z.
Try the new 35HD, amazing lens, better then the Hasselblad. The 55 is good for short distances. The 120mm is just amazing sharp as well right from f4 onwards.Must have for studio, the bokeh is not so nice though(150 is better here). Those are the 3 lenses I would recommend.
If you have the cash and don't mind the weight, the 90mm and the 24-45 are awesome.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up