Re: Grid
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 06:54:12 am »

Good shooting, Bob. That's looking.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 12:18:40 pm »

This proved to be a great subject for testing out the 24mm Actar lens mounted on the tiny Cambo Actus tech camera. The Oly EM-5 II fits rather snugly on the back standard. It's fun using a mft body on a tech camera.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 12:26:08 pm »

+1 for shooting.

Now, Russ, I've always been puzzled by that particular compliment of yours "looking." If I remember correctly, some eastern philosopher said "Everyone can look, few can see" or something to that effect. So, shouldn't it be "That's seeing"?

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 02:26:45 pm »

Right, Slobodan, but HCB said: "Photographing is nothing. Looking is everything." I don't think you really can see unless you look. A lot of photographers don't look, they just point and shoot, sometimes hoping that a crop will fix everything. How many photographers would have passed by this graphical feast without really seeing it? Bob was looking.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 05:05:23 pm »

He was looking and seeing!  8)

I like the shot and at first saw the fence as a detraction but have since decided is just offers more texture and lines which is what the image seems to be abut.

I'm curious about your camera setup. Can you give me or point me to an in-depth explanation?
-MattB

BobDavid

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 09:57:10 pm »

Within an hour, two squad cars were dispatched to check up on what I was doing. This substation is located on a busy intersection. It is completely visible and accessible on three sides. The fenced-in part is set back 50 yards from the corner.

There weren't any signs: No trespassing, no photography, no picnicking, etc. I was asked for ID and questioned about my intent. I told both sets of officers that I was taking pictures of the substation and that it also served as a good subject for testing out the 24mm Actar. The first set of officers filed a report. I was allowed to continue.

Three days later, I got a call from a PD detective. He wanted to go over the "incident." I explained what I was doing and asked if I'd broken any laws. He said, "No, but you can't be too careful these days." I told him I like to photograph places at night--parking lots, liquor stores, gas stations, etc. The conversation got a bit awkward as I tried to explain why I think those places are interesting subjects.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:08:49 pm by BobDavid »

BobDavid

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 10:00:20 pm »

He was looking and seeing!  8)

I like the shot and at first saw the fence as a detraction but have since decided is just offers more texture and lines which is what the image seems to be abut.

I'm curious about your camera setup. Can you give me or point me to an in-depth explanation?

The Actus is a nice platform for mirrorless cameras. Here's a lengthy article about it. https://captureintegration.com/first-look-cambo-actus/

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 03:15:33 am »

For my education could someone analyse either photograph and explain what makes them work please? I can't do complicated and the structures here are really quite complicated. My eye gets overwhelmed by all the lines and angles so it would help me a lot if the why's and wherefore's of these shots were outlined for me. And I'm not being a smart alec, I really can't do complicated as you can tell from my own photographs :)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 09:05:13 am »

It's a study in patterns, Mike. For example: similar to the patterns you see on the walls of mosques.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 11:06:45 am »

...: similar to the patterns you see on the walls of mosques.

Oh, no, you didn't, Russ! Now you are going to get a call from the PD detective  ;D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 11:12:52 am »

Mike, you (and me) like simplicity, details with a few elements. Sometimes, however, there is simplicity in multiplicity, as paradoxical as it sounds. Take, for example, Gursky's "99 Cents" image.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 11:26:04 am »

Oh, no, you didn't, Russ! Now you are going to get a call from the PD detective  ;D

Yes, detectives.  I feel the need of numerous of detectives and diagrams. My crude understanding of the engineering, not mention the invisibility of the electricity, leaves me so hungry for knowledge that I can hardly see the images at all.  Yes, there are patterns but they are up to something and I don't know just what it is.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 11:31:30 am »

I agree about 99 cents and the like. While there's a lot there at heart it's quite a regular (would that be fair?) detail.

I'm not sure I'm seeing anything like the the detailed but at heart repetitive patterns I have seen in Mosques in the sub station although I guess each insulator is very much like another. Also the mosque decoration seems to me to be innately 2D while the sub station is 3D.

BobDavid

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 12:01:01 pm »

I like the light and the colors, the patterns and the chaos, and the tension.

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 08:57:10 pm »

Both beautiful.
I like the first more, probably because of the color.
When I grow up I want to be a photographer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/diegopig/
Pages: [1]   Go Up