Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: really excited : just got a P30+  (Read 4149 times)

Endeavour

really excited : just got a P30+
« on: February 11, 2016, 05:30:25 pm »

Just walked out of the shop with a P1 case containing a lovely used P30+ kit   :D

I got a great deal on it and cant wait to try it out with my H1 body.

So now I have to learn Capture One rather than lightroom. But I'm really excited to try it out with my portraits and fashion shoots. I've been shooting film up until now.

I'm going to take the long weekend coming up to try it out and see how it compares to my film workflow; I am going to be happy if I dont have to be locking myself away in my darkroom so much. That will be relegated to my LF photography
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:45:27 am by lotusEsp »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: really excited
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 05:40:07 pm »

Congratulations on the new back.  C1 is not bad at all and will give you excellent results from the P30+. 

LuLa has a new C1 9 set of videos out, and both Capture Integration and Digital Transitions (US dealers) have webinars that you might want to sign up for.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

minicoop1985

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 09:10:27 pm »

Congratulations! Can't wait to see some results (you will post them here, right?).
Michael Long
Hasselblad H3D 39, Canon 5D mark II

Endeavour

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 09:49:28 pm »

I am absolutely blown away by this back and capture one

I've just done a quick self shot - badly lit and me looking very tired and the detail & quality is like nothing I have shot before

this is very encouraging - and makes me feel a lot happier about selling all my canon digital gear to fund the H1 & p30+ kit

NickT

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 11:43:01 pm »

Phase also have a youtube channel with a ton of tutorials for C1.

Endeavour

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 09:37:38 am »

Thanks
I will take some time to get into it.

now I just have the issue of no firewire port or PC slot on my laptop for on location tethering. But shooting to CF is no big deal

Christoph B.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 02:01:48 pm »

If you have a card-slot on your laptop you can use a FireWire-card - if you use a macbook you can use a firewire-thunderbolt adapter (but you'll have to use the battery on your back as a power source, as the thunderbolt port doesn't deliver enough power for your back)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 08:17:01 pm »

Congratulations. The only problem that you will have is that it is addictive. I went from H1 with Phase 18MP to H2, to H3DII-31 to H3dII-39.

You don't need to buy Capture One, as it is free if you have a Phase back.

I don't use Capture One now that I have a Hasselblad back. I just use Phocus, Aperture and Photoshop. Still contemplating a replacement catalogue system for Aperture.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

NickT

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 10:34:51 pm »

Still contemplating a replacement catalogue system for Aperture.

Lightroom hands down.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 01:01:22 am »

Lightroom hands down.
Not for me.
Runs on a server for multi machine access and overnight backup - FAIL
User friendly interface - Fail, at least in my opinion v. poor compared to Aperture. Too much wasted screen space with modules that aren't being used.
Lightroom is dependant on ACR for raw conversion. Aperture just uses the OS.
The only thing Lightroom has going for it is that I actually have it.
Capture One in front, but not there yet. Database not quite there and it doesn't support Hasselblad at all.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Endeavour

Re: really excited : just got a P30+ - now a little bit frustrated
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 10:49:41 am »

Aghh, turns out the battery charger is not good. I've been playing around with the back all weekend, ready for a shoot tomorrow and drained both the batteries.

Plugged them into the supplied charger - 0% and not charging. And only one side of the dual battery charger is lighting up :(

store is closed until tuesday - bah and no shops around here seem to stock BP-195 type batteries.

I wish Phase had included a power supply function for the back. I know I can power it with firewire cable, but that needs a firewire device to plug into - my workstation has one, but I am not dragging that around on set.
A regular power socket on the back would make so much sense. Even more so if it could also charge the battery at the same time (or even have the firewire charge the battery)

Christoph B.

Re: really excited : just got a P30+
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 11:06:38 am »

That sucks :-/

You could get a firewire-repeater hub that powers the back but I think it'd be a bit of a gamble to see if it works for the shoot tomorrow...

I was/am really lucky, my used system is in great condition and I also have a PhaseOne dealer in my city. Worst case: you postpone the shooting until you've had more time to test the equipment and get a new charger unit!

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 11:07:14 am »

You can try, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/836383-REG/watson_d_1511_duo_lcd_charger_for.html for a double or http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/836074-REG/watson_c_1511_compact_ac_dc_charger_for.html for a single

ken

p.s.  P30 is an awesome MFDB. I really enjoyed mine when I had one----great files right out of the camera and a very forgiving MFDB easy to use!

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 11:21:50 am »

Aghh, turns out the battery charger is not good. I've been playing around with the back all weekend, ready for a shoot tomorrow and drained both the batteries.

Plugged them into the supplied charger - 0% and not charging. And only one side of the dual battery charger is lighting up :(

store is closed until tuesday - bah and no shops around here seem to stock BP-195 type batteries.

I wish Phase had included a power supply function for the back. I know I can power it with firewire cable, but that needs a firewire device to plug into - my workstation has one, but I am not dragging that around on set.
A regular power socket on the back would make so much sense. Even more so if it could also charge the battery at the same time (or even have the firewire charge the battery)

With an IQ back you can, in fact, power from AC. Phase One AC Adapter Accessory - Phase One Online Store and the battery does charge from FW or AC power as you suggest.

Unfortunately no such accessory was produced by Phase One for the P+ backs :(. I agree it would have been useful, which is surely why it was added in the IQ generation.

I definitely feel your pain regarding the defunct charger... nothing spoils the fun of a new (to you) back than a broken or beat up charger (or cable, or battery etc etc). This is why we (DT) only sell backs with brand new accessories whether the back is new, demo-stock, used, refurbished or otherwise.

Do try the following with your charger though:
- unplug the adapter from the charger and the wall. Plug the adapter into the charger, then into the wall.
- reseat the plate of the charger (if it is the modern Hahnel charger) as it can come loose
- (with the unit unplugged for safety) remove the plate of the charger and clean the contacts
- leave the battery in for several hours before giving up on the charger; if the charger is partly functional it can sometimes charge the battery, but not provide an accurate charge status.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 11:30:47 am by Doug Peterson »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 12:15:16 pm »

A couple of more  ideas.

First it may be the actual batteries, they can reach a point where they will not charge and if these are batteries from the original back, you may want to try a new battery in your old charger.  The first round of Phase batteries I believe were either 2400 or 2500 milliamp and they did not last that long, then Phase came out with 2900, and currently are at 3400, (the new batteries should also work in your back).  They have always been Li-On, but even these will age over time and reach a point where they will no longer charge.

Also remember, the cells are basically Canon Video camera batteries, that are re-branded to Phase One.  Team Phase One does not make them, even the new 3400 cells are made in China.

With the IQ back's Phase created a body where the battery is inside the back, where as with the P+ backs, the battery is on the outside.  Canon made an AC adapter made around the same size as the 2500 millamp batter.  Google this and you will find a lot of hits on it.  The  part of the AC adapter that fits into the camera is the same size as the LiOn battery.  So if you are working in a studio, you can run off AC.  Again, 2 years ago, there was a lot written about this and many photographers were using this solution.  There was quite a lot of it posted on this site, and it may still be out there in the Archives.  The Canon AC adapter was available on ebay.  It was a very common solution until the IQ backs started to ship and then the solution would not work as you could not close the battery door due to the cable.

I sure would check your charger with another new battery before buying a new one.  But no doubt, if your batteries are the oldest from Phase One, it's probably time to replace them anyway. 

The two key things to remember, the voltage for a Phase One back, is 7.2 volts.  The milliamp size just lets you know how long the battery can last, i.e. 3400 milliamp will have more charge time than 2400 or 2900. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Endeavour

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 07:43:59 pm »

thanks
the batteries are the 3400 ones

thank goodness for Amazon - they did same day delivery on a Poloroid universal charger, and so now my batteries are currently charging :)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 11:04:47 pm »

thanks
the batteries are the 3400 ones

thank goodness for Amazon - they did same day delivery on a Poloroid universal charger, and so now my batteries are currently charging :)

I think the next issue is going to be making sure you have the right cards.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Endeavour

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 08:17:12 am »

I have a bunch of Sandisk Extremes. they seem to be working well

Ray R

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 04:19:36 pm »

I have a p45 with a dual charger - Ive had it for 6 years and still don't understand how the charger works. I plug it in, add the battery(ies), sometimes nothing appears to happen, sometimes one side lights up, sometimes it indicates that its charging. I have found that if left a while it sorts itself out and charges the batteries.

Endeavour

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 10:27:08 am »

I have a p45 with a dual charger - Ive had it for 6 years and still don't understand how the charger works. I plug it in, add the battery(ies), sometimes nothing appears to happen, sometimes one side lights up, sometimes it indicates that its charging. I have found that if left a while it sorts itself out and charges the batteries.

I'll take it back and see if the shop will switch it for a working one, but at least for now I have a working charger in the Polaroid so I'm not worrying about running out of juice on a shoot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up