Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Street Shot From Hunauco, Peru  (Read 683 times)

mpower

• Matthew
Street Shot From Hunauco, Peru
« on: February 10, 2016, 11:23:37 pm »

I submit this image for review. I am going to restate my extreme dislike for the "Kevin"-centric questionnaire required to post here. I'm not looking for a cult. Hopefully my work stands on it's own. If the next time I post I have to talk about "Kevin" then I quit.
I started my journey with digital... couldn't believe how sharp my photos were... was introduced to film... couldn't believe how much sharpness didn't matter.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
Re: Street Shot From Hunauco, Peru
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 08:40:19 am »

Really great shot structurally/compositionally/color...and of course the subject. I don't think "super sharp focus" is always absolutely necessary in photography like this...it depends. That said I would take issue with the fact there is no good focus on either his "cheek and the wrinkles" or his "hands"? Getting more focus on these elements (and thus brining attention to them) helps tell the story of "the aged" and increases the impact of your image. As well you might look at it cropped in just a bit on left...just into the outer edge of the bag on ground - and increase saturation of aquas and blues just a bit /B
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:06:32 am by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 08:59:45 am »

Don't pay any attention to the croppers, M (you might want to give us an actual name). There's not a single photograph posted on LuLa that the croppers aren't going to suggest cropping. As far as focus is concerned, if you check the work of Cartier-Bresson, who unquestionably was the most influential photographer of the twentieth century, you realize that sharp focus isn't critical in street photography.

The picture is fine just as it is. If you crop you're going to damage the graphical balance. Good shooting, and welcome to LuLa. Don't run off. I'd like to see more of your work.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 04:58:16 pm »

Not a bad shot but it leaves me wanting to see more of his face and his eyes.
-MattB

mpower

• Matthew
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 08:26:17 pm »

I would like to reply to Russ Lewis. I am not sure why you see "M" as my name, but it is Matthew. Re focus and such... the image is already cropped. That's why it's less sharp, which might not be a bad thing (hopefully). Your "cartier-bresson" reference caught my attention. Thank you for looking at my image.
I started my journey with digital... couldn't believe how sharp my photos were... was introduced to film... couldn't believe how much sharpness didn't matter.

Tony Jay

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 09:26:54 pm »

Hi Matthew.

We would also like to refer to you by your real name but until you mentioned it in the above post we would have had no way of knowing.
BTW I did check your profile as well - no info there about your name either.

It is possible to edit your profile to change things or just do what I do and and enter my name with every post.

Please don't judge this site too harshly (I did read your OP) it is undergoing lots of changes currently, not necessarily all perceived to be for the better, but hopefully things will settle down.

There really are a lot of excellent judges of an image on this site who give really excellent feedback, and you are one who seems to  want to post images for critique rather than merely chew the fat (nothing wrong with that BTW!), and so stick in there!

Tony Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up