Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: matte paper on p600  (Read 2340 times)

braga

matte paper on p600
« on: February 10, 2016, 11:55:33 am »

I'm new on photography and bought my first print 2 month's ago,epson p600. I try to print one portrait with complex background ( has one motorcycle on my background) I used Moab entrada rag paper (matte paper) and when I did the soft profing on LRcc  the print look whased and faded.I decided to print andI get horrible result. even when  I use other icc profile like Epson hot press paper the soft proofing show me whased and faded look.
How people get vibrant and colourful portrait on Matte papers?

I.T. Supplies

Re: matte paper on p600
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 01:58:29 pm »

You may want to do a nozzle check and possibly a head cleaning if they don't come out as close as the screen shows.  With some nozzles night firing properly, it may give a lower quality look (faded or muddy).

Which weight is the Entrada?  190gsm would be fine with Epson Ultra Matte paper setting and 300gsm would be the Epson Hot Press (but want to make sure you use the proper setting since there is Bright and Natural in both Epson settings and Entrada Rag).

Also, Moab should have a profile for this printer.
http://moabpaper.com/icc-profiles-downloads/epson/epson-surecolor-p600/

Hope one of these options works for you.
Atlex.com

howardm

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 02:30:59 pm »

In velvet texture, Epson VFA or Moab Museum Rag

Do try the Canson Rag Photographique. 

Realize that matte papers do have much lower Dmax than glossy.

braga

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 03:42:46 pm »

the print come same as my monitor when i make soft proofing . I used moab icc profile,and I have both moab entrada
190 and 300 gsm. is just hard to me get good colors.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 05:46:17 pm »

Well, if the print was the same as what you saw on your monitor, it seems you don't really have a printer problem. Can I suggest you try something easy first? Buy some good quality glossy or pearl RC paper and print on that. It's likely to be much better suited to the sort of intense colour, high contrast style motorcycles are usually shot in. Then when you've got something that works (and is relatively cheap), go try the trendy barytas, then finally move onto the mattes.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 08:28:47 pm »

I don't know about the p600 profiles, but I know the p800 profile for Moab Entrada is very bad.  I spent a few hours banging my head against the wall, never dreaming that a company would produce such a bad profile.  I tried letting the printer mange  color, and results were worse. The print was oversaturated and red, not washed out.  Same print on Epson luster looked perfect.

I finally gave up and made my own profile, with much better results.

I will say that soft proofing matt papers always looks like crap.  I have a hard time with it because the screen looks so bad it's hard to envision the results which appear much better.  With matt papers all I pretty much use soft proofing only to determine which rendering intent might be the better choice.

braga

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 09:59:14 pm »

For the same image I used Canson  Platine fibre rag (satin paper) and get excellent results. Can I get better results using  Epson Hot press bright than Moab entrada even the soft proof show me bad colours print? 

howardm

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 07:48:27 am »

Somewhat off topic but I just had a similar thing w/ Ilford Smooth Pearl (old stock).  The factory profile looked good on-screen for softproofing but the actual print looked like someone threw a subtle yellow filter on it. This of course yielded lots of reprints and WTF?  Someone sent me their custom profile and BAM!  excellent match immediately.
Pages: [1]   Go Up