Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightworks tale 2  (Read 2000 times)

fredjeang2

Lightworks tale 2
« on: February 10, 2016, 12:37:10 am »

Just upoloaded a video in real situation in wich I stopped to work for awhile to show the Lightworks workspace implementation.
That's maybe worth a look if you are looking for a new NLE.

Sorry for the IQ, I just filmed that with a mobile on the fly in pure impro
in my dark editing room at night and wanted to keep the file size very small so no full HD but I guess you can see well enough
what's happening if you follow my comments.

Just for Lu-La members: the password is Fred. (with F)
I will delete this in a week or 2.
vimeo link:

The short story,

In a 2 monitors config workingspace, you can work simultanously with 7 sequences with their timelines
and monitors comfortably. (more is possible but the working area ain't infinite)

So you can edit at the same time and in the same area
scene3-take5, scene7-take1 etc... and bring all those changes in your main-edit. All that without as you'll see
having to open, search, re-open your medias or sequences etc...
It's all in front of your eyes.

You can also work on one edit but within different workingspaces organised according to the task you need to perform at a moment.
So you can have your edit1 in a workingspace that is suitable for editing,
then the same edit1 in a workingspace settled for lowerthirds,
then edit1 in a workingspace for color correction,
others for versionnings etc...
all openeable and available at the same time but with different workspaces organizations.

When you leave a room and return in it, you find it at the stage you left it.
Exactly like a real room.

All this is also true for versionnings.

Bin is one and the very same wherever you are, so no mess. But you can choose to display the bin content just according
to where you are and what you need and that will remains untouched until you decide so.
For ex, in the scene 3 room, you can choose to display only the footage of scene3
in the edit room, you can choose to display only the edits if you wish.
And the same bin will show you only the material you need according to the task you perform
Again, each time you left a room with a particular bin display, you'll find the same display when yoiu're back.
So you never have to re-search, re-open etc...

Being graphic:
you are Reading a novel on your living room and stopped at page 60. You leave your living room.
Then you go to your bedroom and read the newspaper's page 4.
You're back in your living room and your book is where you left it, and at page 60.If you left the ashtray on the table,
you'll also find the hashtray.
Lightworks Works just ike a real 3D space.

So being practical: you understand how quick it will be to organise a rational hierarchical workflow.
- Scene11: you'll need to have your clips displayed to storyboard the scene, with the corresponding bin display etc...
- Edit1: you'll need to have your edits displayed to storyboard the edit, with another corresponding bin display

But scene 11 and edit1 are always active at the same time. All you need is to switch to the corresponding room that you named accordingly.

There is no accident this NLE is so
appreciated within Hollywood editors and deserves
a serious consideration IMO. It's a philosophy, a way
of work just like Harley is a philosophy of the road.

Hope it's usefull for some. Cheers.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:22:01 am by fredjeang2 »

fredjeang2

Re: Lightworks tale 2
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 12:31:14 am »

;D
Hey...

good news

Lightworks edits are imported within Resolve 11 with all 3 methods: AAF, EDL and XML with default values in LW
Works like a brize. One click and your timeline is in Resolve with all the tracks. No probs.
it took me a minute (I think less) to bring the TL in Resolve with the 3 methods, Resolve would create 3 different timelines in the media pool (of the same edit,
in this case cause I wanted to test if all were working).

So you got the choice of importing (roundtripping) techniques between those 3.

Actually it's so fast and inmediate that I almost could consider Resolve as part of the LW App for coloring. It ain't roundtripping, it's one click.
(more exactly 2 clicks)
 ;D ;D :D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:39:08 am by fredjeang2 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up