Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Dragon  (Read 11926 times)

Robert Spoecker

Red Dragon
« on: May 04, 2006, 06:59:24 pm »

I love the Red Dragon picture but the white spots look very strange. If they are stars I am surprised to see them in such a brightly lit morning sky and if they are not stars what are they?

Maybe its a phenomena like grainy sand and yellow lines.  

Robert

michael

Red Dragon
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 07:08:36 pm »

The redish orange background is a sand dune. The "spots" are small clumps of vegitation.

Michael

John Camp

Red Dragon
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 07:44:49 pm »

If you photo-shopped an extra large moon in one corner, it'd look like a 1960s-70s Sci-Fi paperback cover. When I first looked at it (knowing that you don't go in much for photoshop fantasy) I asked myself, 'What the hell IS that?'

JC

robjr

• http://robertrodriguezjr.com
Red Dragon
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 11:19:15 pm »

I don't post very often, but "Red Dragon" froze me like few photographs have...it's a spectacular image, great composition, and totally surreal. Great work Michael. Truly inspiring.

RR
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 11:20:57 pm by robjr »

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
Red Dragon
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 05:21:16 am »

I'm hardly one to judge, but I am slightly disturbed by the overlap of the foreground tree with the background central one. Would it not be a stronger composition is there was seperation between the two ?

In general, it gets increasingly frustrating to see just these tiny web images... I'm sure they have nothing approaching the impact of the printed version...  Nothing much can be done about that though.
--
David Mantripp

michael

Red Dragon
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 08:36:20 am »

With hindsight, I should have changed position slightly to avoid some of the overlaps. They are easy to see on a print, but very difficult to judge at the time. Move a faction one way and something else changes.

It should of been done, but the reality is that the sun was rising quickly and the shadow of the dunes behind me was consequently moving very quickly across the ground. Another minute or two and the foreground fallen tree would no longer have been in shade, and the magic lost. I had just moments to perceive, position, frame and take this shot.

Michael

leonvick

• http://www.plateaulight.com
Red Dragon
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 02:10:04 am »

Michael, Red Dragon is one of the most stunning photos I've ever seen. Do you make copies of individual prints for sale?
Leon
Wherever I go, there I am.

michael

Red Dragon
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 05:34:23 am »

Yes. Here's what to do.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/about/print_sales.shtml

It will also be in a reasonably priced upcoming portfolio that I'll be publishing of photographs from Namibia.

Michael

DarkPenguin

Red Dragon
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 03:23:18 pm »

Planning any more books like the Bangladesh one?

michael

Red Dragon
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 04:30:28 pm »

No in the short term.

I have a major book project in the planning stages, but it's still a couple of years off. I have a technical book that I'll be writing this fall that will consume me for some months.

Michael
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 05:50:08 pm by michael »

s00

Red Dragon
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 08:26:26 pm »

Another minute or two and the foreground fallen tree would no longer have been in shade, and the magic lost. I had just moments to perceive, position, frame and take this shot.

Do you have more photos of this location, other than the one you chose? I think that the subject is interesting enough that even the ones you consider to be not ideal would be worth posting. thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up