Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

Arca Swiss D4 Geared Tripod Head vs KPS T5 Geared Ball Head

(1/5) > >>

michaelbiondo:
Hello everyone,
Considering a new tripod head for shooting architecture with the Pentax 645Z.
I am using the superb RRS BH-55 but making micro adjustments has given me a a bit of shoulder bursitis (duh).
I am ok with spending the extra cash for the Arca if it really is the better product.
By better I mean smoother, stronger, and reliable.
Would lone to hear everyones opinions.
Thanks,
Michael

Doug Peterson:
The Geared D4 is the best head made, other than the Cube.

If you're going to be in NYC anytime soon and would like the try it out we would be glad to arrange it.

Paul2660:
The D4 geared, does offer you the ability to make very fine micro adjustment, and unlike the BH55, allows you to free up one hand (I also have the 55).  Using a tech camera, this made a big difference for me.

The D4 geared, comes with both a lever lock and screw lock top.  The lever lock is great, but won't auto adjust, so if you moved between platforms, RRS L bracket, Kirk L bracket and Arca, it can become a bit of a hassle.  The screw lock prevents, this but also sticks out a bit more.  In the older day's it was possible to change out the Arca Lever Lock with the newer RRS version, (which does auto adjust), but Arca has made this a bit more difficult as they use a very strong thread locker. 

Weight, I would say is very close between the two, BH-55 and D4 geared.  The D4 is more delicate, I carry it off my tripod in the field, never worried about the BH-55 and mine shows some use. 

You can also reach out to Rod Klukas, the US Arca rep, based in AZ.  I don't have his contact, but he can be found quick on google. 

Paul C

marc aurel:
I used the Arca D4, and it is a great product. But I can also recommend an alternative: the Linhof 3D micro (http://linhof.com/3d-micro/?lang=en). I use this head now and prefer it for my architectural work.

What I love about the Linhof:
- the gear is much finer, more precise
- the lock mechanism for panning on the latest version of the linhof is not a knob but done in a completely different way. Makes it very intuitive to use because you don't mix up with the knob control for tilt.
Disadvantages of the Linhof compared to the Arca:
- It can only be tilted 12°, if you need more you have to mount an extra piece. I need that very rarely but it might be a deal breaker for some
- the finer gears are not as fast as with the arca

What I love about the Arca:
- gear can be adjusted very fast
- can be tilted up to 90°
- a bit more compact
Disadvantages of the Arca:
- bubble levels were not very exact on mine, even after sending it back to arca for adjustment

Others love the Arca cube which is similar to the Linhof.

E.J. Peiker:
I also used the BH-55 in the past.  Personally I now prefer the KPS-T5 over the D4.  I did a write-up on it a while back.  It starts on Page 10 of this PDF link:
http://www.ejphoto.com/Quack%20PDF/Quack%20Autumn%202015.pdf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version