Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Arca Swiss D4 Geared Tripod Head vs KPS T5 Geared Ball Head  (Read 6934 times)

michaelbiondo

• http://michael@michaelbiondo.com
Arca Swiss D4 Geared Tripod Head vs KPS T5 Geared Ball Head
« on: February 07, 2016, 01:31:05 pm »

Hello everyone,
Considering a new tripod head for shooting architecture with the Pentax 645Z.
I am using the superb RRS BH-55 but making micro adjustments has given me a a bit of shoulder bursitis (duh).
I am ok with spending the extra cash for the Arca if it really is the better product.
By better I mean smoother, stronger, and reliable.
Would lone to hear everyones opinions.
Thanks,
Michael

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Arca Swiss D4 Geared Tripod Head vs KPS T5 Geared Ball Head
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 01:40:32 pm »

The Geared D4 is the best head made, other than the Cube.

If you're going to be in NYC anytime soon and would like the try it out we would be glad to arrange it.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 01:56:33 pm »

The D4 geared, does offer you the ability to make very fine micro adjustment, and unlike the BH55, allows you to free up one hand (I also have the 55).  Using a tech camera, this made a big difference for me.

The D4 geared, comes with both a lever lock and screw lock top.  The lever lock is great, but won't auto adjust, so if you moved between platforms, RRS L bracket, Kirk L bracket and Arca, it can become a bit of a hassle.  The screw lock prevents, this but also sticks out a bit more.  In the older day's it was possible to change out the Arca Lever Lock with the newer RRS version, (which does auto adjust), but Arca has made this a bit more difficult as they use a very strong thread locker. 

Weight, I would say is very close between the two, BH-55 and D4 geared.  The D4 is more delicate, I carry it off my tripod in the field, never worried about the BH-55 and mine shows some use. 

You can also reach out to Rod Klukas, the US Arca rep, based in AZ.  I don't have his contact, but he can be found quick on google. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

marc aurel

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 02:07:39 pm »

I used the Arca D4, and it is a great product. But I can also recommend an alternative: the Linhof 3D micro (http://linhof.com/3d-micro/?lang=en). I use this head now and prefer it for my architectural work.

What I love about the Linhof:
- the gear is much finer, more precise
- the lock mechanism for panning on the latest version of the linhof is not a knob but done in a completely different way. Makes it very intuitive to use because you don't mix up with the knob control for tilt.
Disadvantages of the Linhof compared to the Arca:
- It can only be tilted 12°, if you need more you have to mount an extra piece. I need that very rarely but it might be a deal breaker for some
- the finer gears are not as fast as with the arca

What I love about the Arca:
- gear can be adjusted very fast
- can be tilted up to 90°
- a bit more compact
Disadvantages of the Arca:
- bubble levels were not very exact on mine, even after sending it back to arca for adjustment

Others love the Arca cube which is similar to the Linhof.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 02:17:27 pm »

I also used the BH-55 in the past.  Personally I now prefer the KPS-T5 over the D4.  I did a write-up on it a while back.  It starts on Page 10 of this PDF link:
http://www.ejphoto.com/Quack%20PDF/Quack%20Autumn%202015.pdf
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 02:23:44 pm by E.J. Peiker »

jng

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 03:07:18 pm »

I switched from the BH-55 to the Arca Cube and haven't looked back. The Cube is very stable and for me it works like a dream for landscape and still life work. Some find that geared heads are slower to work with, but I don't find this to be the case compared to the time it takes to futz with positioning the camera on a non-geared ballhead (usually to achieve less than perfect framing with a lot of frustration). Shooting subjects requiring quick movements is a different story - for this I've kept the BH-55. Others here have described the benefits of hybrid geared ball heads like the D4 and KPS-T5, but I chose the Cube because I wanted what I perceived at the time to be a beefier platform for my MFDB kit.

Other than cost, the biggest downside is Arca's clamps, which as noted above can be somewhat kludgy. I had a professional repair shop swap the original clamp with a RRS lever clamp (whatever thread locking compound Arca is now using makes it difficult to do as a DIY project).

I keep my Cube mounted on the tripod and covered with the padded sack that comes with the BH-55 (a pretty good fit) to minimize the risk of banging it up while carrying it around in the field.

- John
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 03:14:48 pm by jng »

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 03:49:49 pm »

I bought the KPS T5 a few months ago and like it in many ways, as sort of a nice compromise in terms of size, weight, ball head capability and micro adjustment capability for architectural subjects. However, it developed some problems with the main tension knob and one of the micro adjustments. The US distributor says that they manufacturer has made some modifications to the mechanism, so I will send back and see what happens when they update it and fix it for me. So, I think the jury is still out on this new product and an unproven manufacturer. I am hoping it works out in the long run.

I think a real geared head is preferable for serious architectural photography. I have used the Manfrotto 410 quite a bit and do not like it (though I can get by with it, as many have done). So, ultimately I will need to look at the Arcas. Re the Linhof Marc has, it is about the same price as the Cube and it seems to me that most architectural photographers who have chosen a high end geared head have gone for the Cube. I don't recall why, but I think it offers a few more capabilities than the Linfof equivalent. As for the Arca D4, I know several colleagues who shoot architectural subject matter a lot and have this head, who like it a great deal. I have no experience with the Arca heads, but I have the impression that the D4 might be a bit more resistant to damage from inadvertent rough use than the Cube, and would would welcome hearing of any real-world experience regarding this.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 04:14:14 pm »

... However, it developed some problems with the main tension knob and one of the micro adjustments. The US distributor says that they manufacturer has made some modifications to the mechanism, so I will send back and see what happens when they update it and fix it for me. So, I think the jury is still out on this new product and an unproven manufacturer. I am hoping it works out in the long run.

Hi David, would you mind elaborating?  I haven't noticed any problems with mine but want to be aware of what the issue might be in case I need to take action in the future.

michaelbiondo

• http://michael@michaelbiondo.com
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 04:42:57 pm »

Thanks everyone for the advice. Doug, I will take you up on your offer.
The ability to try the Arca in the store is defiantly a plus. My worry is that the demo will be a gateway drug to the cube.

Michael

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 05:10:14 pm »

I have the d4. I got the screw lock as the lever lock will not work with RRS or Kirk L-plates (Rod Klukas told me it has to be modified). I like that the movements are marked in degrees, except for the pano top. For the money they should put the degree numbers on the top - all they have is little marks. I would love to put my RRS pano top on the d4, but like Paul said they have made it very difficult to do.
I got mine from Rod. B&H takes weeks & weeks for delivery.

NancyP

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 12:18:02 pm »

Hm. Arca must have changed the clamp some. My Arca lever clamp works fine with my Kirk L brackets, once I adjusted the width via the little wheel in the mechanism. My Arca Z1 with lever clamp is about 4 years old.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 12:48:08 pm »

Thanks everyone for the advice. Doug, I will take you up on your offer.
The ability to try the Arca in the store is defiantly a plus. My worry is that the demo will be a gateway drug to the cube.

Do not try the cube unless you are prepared to buy one.

Trying out a cube before you can justify the expense is like drinking an extraordinary wine and then being limited to boxed stuff.

shadowblade

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 12:53:14 pm »

Get the Cube.

It's my most-used piece of equipment (sometimes even on the floor by itself, in places that don't allow tripods) and a fantastic piece of gear.

Better to buy once and be done with it than to buy several times, slowly working your way up the food chain to a better piece of equipment.

marc aurel

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 01:07:18 pm »

Hm. Arca must have changed the clamp some. My Arca lever clamp works fine with my Kirk L brackets, once I adjusted the width via the little wheel in the mechanism. My Arca Z1 with lever clamp is about 4 years old.

The Arca lever lock is a problem especially when you use different brands of brackets. Although they all say they are arca swiss compatible - they are all slightly different in width and angle. I would very much recommend a screw lock. It is much safer.

jng

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 11:34:53 pm »

This is totally fine if you're using brackets from just one manufacturer. However, using brackets from different sources (some with subtly different widths) may require adjusting the clamp when switching back and forth between different brackets, in which case you're better off using the screw lock as suggested by Marc. Since I don't like the screw lock mechanism (on several occasions I've caught myself loosening it thinking I was making some other adjustment to the ball head!) I had a shop replace my clamp with an RRS lever clamp, which is self-adjusting - a small price to pay to protect my gear from my absent-mindedness...

Do not try the cube unless you are prepared to buy one.

Excellent advice!

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 12:36:33 am »

My 645z loves my cube.

It is a wonderful tool and one you won't regret for many years to come.

I do wish they would gear the pan at the top though.  So precise everywhere except for the last step...
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 11:01:08 am »

I have two RSS heads that are very nice, but seldom used after I got the Arca-Swiss C1 Cube Geared Head.

Originally I got the quick-release Cube, because there was no alternative (or I did not come across it), but I don’t totally trust quick releases, so I sold that one and purchased a Cube C1 with a knob-release. It works fine. I would love to put a RRS knob on it, but have been too lazy to follow that out.  I would never go back to a ball-head, except for fast moving shots.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

NancyP

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 02:03:59 pm »

Yes, the Arca Swiss brand lever clamps do adjust, but if you do it wrongly, the whole thing falls apart, and you are chasing itty bitty washers all over the place. I do buy almost all Kirk or Hejnar products, and have used screw-operated clamps and like them. Custom Brackets (I have a basic gimbal arm that slots into the ball head at 90 degrees, and a tilt head for monopod from them) has a strange screw operation where one has to push in the screw lever to engage, then turn. If you just bump the screw lever, it spins harmlessly without engaging.

Not getting near the Cube....too tempting.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 08:21:55 pm »

Hello everyone,
Considering a new tripod head for shooting architecture with the Pentax 645Z.
I am using the superb RRS BH-55 but making micro adjustments has given me a a bit of shoulder bursitis (duh).
I am ok with spending the extra cash for the Arca if it really is the better product.
By better I mean smoother, stronger, and reliable.
Would lone to hear everyones opinions.
Thanks,
Michael

Rather than an all new head, have you considered using a three-point leveler underneath your head to make fine adjustments to pitch and roll angles?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:07:31 pm by Ellis Vener »

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 11:41:58 pm »

Hi David, would you mind elaborating?  I haven't noticed any problems with mine but want to be aware of what the issue might be in case I need to take action in the future.

I'll place bets it was a supply issue (quality of part) that has since been addressed.  KPS has released a new version of the T5 since my original review.  The new T5 features "click-stops"---pretty novel. I have updated my review. https://kendoophotography.wordpress.com/2015/04/15/the-kps-t5-geared-ballhead-in-search-of-the-elusive-white-unicorn/   I compared the new T5 to the original T5 I have----both are excellent and stable. Obviously the new click stop feature is a bonus, but not enough for me to upgrade.  I prefer the KPS T5 over the AS D4.  I also have the AS Cube, an older version without the permanent loctite on the top clamp.  KPS allows easy swapping by the end-user to choose their own top clamp, such as a lever release clamp from RRS.

The AS Cube is ideal where heavier legs such as a RRS TVC 3 series is being used; the AS Cube is a bit too heavy for the RRS TVC 2 series, but the KPS T5 is a perfect match.  Something to be aware of....

Ken
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up