Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tampa's Finest  (Read 934 times)

razvanalex

Tampa's Finest
« on: February 06, 2016, 05:41:55 am »

Hello Luminous Landscapers,

I am starting my journey on this forum with a photography created just a few months ago and on which I would like to receive your criticism. To say a few words about it, it was shot in Tampa Bay during a work related trip. The camera used was a Olympus XZ-2 which is a smashing little gadget, together with a handheld polarizing filter. Of course, the image was processed in Photoshop using mostly the Efex plug-ins and localized dodge and burn.

Why do I like it? Although it suggests a lonely place (especially coupled with watching the Miami Vice 80's series in parallel...), it is full of warmth, like the entire place is waiting to embrace you :).

This being said, I am looking forward for your advice and critique.

Thank you in advance,

Razvan

P.S. The forum's way of verifying if you are a human or not is really entertaining! :)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Tampa's Finest
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 07:43:11 am »

Welcome to the forum!

I would say you've been successful in matching your goal. The photo has a lovely watercolour feel about it with a lovely colour palette. It is well-composed with the lines converging towards the swing.

As you have said, emptiness of the place does project an element of loneliness, but the city in behind gives a sense that this place is not always like that, creating a sense of anticipation.

The sky is well-rendered, although the yellow appears perhaps slightly more green than might be typical - not really significant, but worth a mention in case that's something you were working on.

In future, you may consider a slightly lower camera angle, one that would maintain the right-left converging lines, but add more sky and make the white swing slightly more dominant than just "being there". On second look, I think you have just the right height.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:13:34 pm by luxborealis »
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 11:02:38 am »

Let me add my welcome, too.

You are fortunate that Terry (luxborealis) is the first to critique your image as he is one of the most articulate critics on the forum.
I'll have to agree with everything he said.
Very nice first contribution!

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

BobDavid

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 10:26:33 pm »

Welcome. I live in Sarasota, not too far south from Tampa Bay. I've driven across that bridge countless times. Nice capture.

razvanalex

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 01:26:45 pm »

Thank you very much for all your welcoming messages and for the shared critique!

Terry, regarding the green-yellow problem, I've really missed that and most probably because I am a bit colorblind so I am one of the "fortunate" ones who see the world a bit different than the rest. The rest of the analysis is indeed very interesting and I am seeing the photograph with different eyes now. Next time I will be in Tampa (I am located all the way in Europe, Romania  :) ), I will try to shoot from the angle you have mentioned and see what I get.

Eric, thank you, I fully agree with what you said about Terry!

Bob, I have never to Saratosa but I did hear about it, and all were good things. The farthest I went were St. Petersburg and Clearwater (which is awesome for sunsets and sunburns...)

Last but not least, I am really glad to be part of this community. I've been shooting for the last 5 years of my life and now I've reached the stage where I want to lean more on the artistic side and find/refine my personal way of expression rather than "oh goodie, a nice place, snap!" OR "Pentax is releasing a full frame, quick, let me buy it!". As I am getting more and more experienced (and which I hope it will happen), I will participate in a higher percentage in helping others, too.

Razvan

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 01:35:04 pm »

Let me add my welcome, too.

You are fortunate that Terry (luxborealis) is the first to critique your image as he is one of the most articulate critics on the forum.
I'll have to agree with everything he said.
Very nice first contribution!

-Eric

+1

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 02:54:35 pm »

Good shooting Razvan. And welcome. I suspect you'll enjoy LuLa.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

dreed

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 08:07:02 am »

I don't get this image. It doesn't really draw me in or make me feel.

What's it about?

The beach and seat almost look unnatural - photoshop'd in almost.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 09:51:19 am »

Hi Dreed, You need to get your head around Martin Parr to get this one.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up