Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Sony FE lenses - 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8, and 85 f/1.4  (Read 6367 times)

shadowblade

New Sony FE lenses - 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8, and 85 f/1.4
« on: February 04, 2016, 10:17:19 pm »

Looks like a few of the lenses some of us have been waiting for are about to be released, and the samples look pretty good.

Sony are also claiming even higher resolution, with fewer aberrations and smoother bokeh: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/motoyuji-ohtake-interviewed-by-dpreview-and-ir-gm-lenses-are-made-for-future-high-res-cameras/

I wonder how they stack up against the Nikon 24-70 and Canon 70-200, as well as how close they get to the best Zeiss primes. Anyone seen any MTF charts yet?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: New Sony FE lenses - 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8, and 85 f/1.4
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 11:20:22 pm »

Surely excellent lenses, but they appear to completely kill the compact aspect of the a7 system.

A 5Ds with the 85mm f1.2 is shorter than the a7rII with the 85mm f1.4...

Cheers,
Bernard

shadowblade

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 12:37:04 am »

Surely excellent lenses, but they appear to completely kill the compact aspect of the a7 system.

Cheers,
Bernard

Compactness was never the point of these lenses. If you want a compact system, you have other options.

These appear to be designed for performance - something many of us have wanted for a long time to go with the high-performance (sensor-wise, at least) bodies. And, with the non-sensor aspects of the A7 bodies improving with every iteration, as well as a rumoured full-featured body being developed, it will be great to have some high-performance lenses that can take advantage of every aspect of Sony's system - hybrid AF, eye-focus AF, better overall AF performance and anything else they come up with that takes advantage of the through-the-sensor nature of a mirrorless system.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 04:01:25 am »

Posted a similar topic here yesterday:

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=107932.0

For the forum managers, should we discuss these lenses here, or in the Compact System Cameras forum?

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 04:07:48 am »

Cheers,
Bernard

I think "kill" is exaggerated. All one has to do to get better balance is to grip the camera. IMO, it is a matter of providing options to a wider clientele. Want a compact set up? A7 camera with say the FE 35 f2.8; a lot smaller than say a 6D with pancake 40 f2.8.

F2.8 zooms were a glaring omission from the system thus far. As for the 85 f1.4, I think it is more a status lens, rather than a necessity, given the Batis 85. Even then, Sony does not see one cent from the Batis sales, so they want to go there too.

Curiously, the 85 f1.4 is part of this new G Master lens line, whereas the previous Zony 35 f1.4 was not. The G lenses seem to be 100% Sony, no input from Zeiss.

Herbc

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 10:39:26 am »

While it is VERY unlikely I will buy one of the G lenses due to their size, you have to give Sony a lot of credit for making them.  The statement about their being able to judge results of design changes via their software without having to actually make the lens is pretty impressive.  Between Zeiss and Sony, the Nikon and Canon folks have some very worthy competition. 8)

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 12:12:29 pm »

I'll buy whichever of the Sony GM 85 mm or Zeiss Batis 85 mm are first actually available in the UK!

I've had the Batis on order since before Xmas... I wonder if the Sony will actually ship first :)

I'm not especially interested in the 24-70 or 70-200 f/2.8 zooms. I might have gone for the 70-200 if I'd not purchased the f/4 version recently- although the weight saving is considerable compared with the f/2.8 and I usually use that lens in the mountains.

But great to see Sony filling out its lens lineup; personally I'd like to see something around 135 mm f/2 too. And I might collect the macro at some point.

Cheers, Hywel

AFairley

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 12:33:25 pm »

Cheers,
Bernard

I think these are not designed for compactness, but from what I hear on the rumor sites, bleeding edge resolution.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 12:39:28 pm »

Hi,

I will be more enthusiastic when I have seen some measured data from respected testing sites.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

photo570

• http://www.shoot.co.nz
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 05:25:51 pm »

Hi BC,

I am not that familiar with the A7sII. So I may be off, but with the A7rII if you are using a Sony A-mount SSM lens like the 24-70 2.8 ZA then you should use the LA-EA3, as this allows the use of the cameras focus system (and all its lovely goodness), not the AF module in the adaptor like the LA-EA4 (which sucks to be honest). You only need to use the LA-EA4 if your lens has a screw drive.

You should check the LA-EA3 out, if it works with the A7sII in the same manner as the A7rII then it is a huge improvement.

Kind regards,
Jason.
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 10:04:05 pm »

The new lenses appear to be focus by wire ?

Ridiculous for lenses of this quality.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 11:53:07 pm »

Focus by wire is not bad if properly done.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

shadowblade

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 01:20:47 am »

Looks like they've got mechanical focus rings.

The 85/1.4 even has a mechanical aperture ring, which can be switched between going in steps (i.e. 2.0 to 2.2 to 2.5 to 2.8 and nothing in between) or adjusting smoothly.

I hope this is impetus for Sigma to start releasing its Art-series lenses in native FE mount (thus allowing Sony's AF system to be used to its full capability), so that we no longer have to rely on adapters.

Alex E

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 04:57:32 am »

Looks like they've got mechanical focus rings.
Any particular confirmation or hint for this? (So it did when they announced the FE35/1.4, yet it turned out to be the focus-by-wire ring... Not a big fan of those; although, yes, you learn to live with that)

shadowblade

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 05:18:22 am »

Any particular confirmation or hint for this? (So it did when they announced the FE35/1.4, yet it turned out to be the focus-by-wire ring... Not a big fan of those; although, yes, you learn to live with that)

You mean apart from the fact that it would be absurdly stupid to do that?

Also, why would you go to the trouble of adding a mechanical aperture ring to a lens - with a click switch, no less - only to then make its use far less tactile by making it focus-by-wire?

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 02:42:24 pm »

Check out the latest TCS video at the Sony event. Jordan the video guy mentions that the new lenses are focus by wire.

photo570

• http://www.shoot.co.nz
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 04:28:43 pm »

Hi BC,

Yes the Sonys are a work in progress, which is why I don't have one yet. Shame the A7sII is contrast detect only. Perhaps the III will be the one to get.   :)
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 05:00:12 pm »

Hi,

It is about sensor technology, newer technology works better phase detection.

Best regards
Erik

Hi BC,

Yes the Sonys are a work in progress, which is why I don't have one yet. Shame the A7sII is contrast detect only. Perhaps the III will be the one to get.   :)
Erik Kaffehr

shadowblade

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 09:14:25 pm »

I think Sony is on the Iphone schedule, or in other words consumer electronics.

Ship, send, wait . . . then ship send wait . . .

That's their business model, can't knock it if it works, but for a user that has work to do, waiting for the right use camera is not an option.

I'll see what Canon does next.  If the 1dxII is really a multimedia camera for professionals and the footage holds up in post i'm good, if not I'll stay with what I have and probably ad a C300II.

IMO

BC

Lots of pros around here using the A7II/r/rII/s right now. Particularly the A7II and A7rII, it seems, for everything from wedding videography, to studio work, to even photography, to landscapes and architectural work (for the latter, it's pretty much a no-brainer). It doesn't work for some things (chiefly fast action, I don't know anything about video), but, for the areas it works in, it does extremely well. There's a reason so many people are showing up to paid shoots these days with Sony bodies and non-Sony lenses.

It's definitely a work in progress, though.

I'd say the release schedule is more like that of an emerging, rapidly-progressing product than that of a consumer product. Canon/Nikon only release a 1Dx or D800 every three years or so because, any less than that, it wouldn't be worth upgrading. Even with a three year cycle, the improvements are largely incremental, since it's a mature product - there are more improvements between Sony cameras 1 year apart than between Canon cameras 3 years apart. Once mirrorless technology - specifically, the speed and accuracy of AF and intelligent acquisition and tracking (face detect, eye detect, detect animal, follow red cars only, etc.) - becomes more mature, I'd also expect Sony to settle into a slower product cycle.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 04:57:02 am »

Hi,

I don't understand the complaints about Sony's rapid update cycle. They have two generations of A7 models. First generation was:

• A7 - base model
  • A7r - high resolution model
  • A7s - model optimised for low light and video

At that time I skipped the A7 series as I felt that the sensor in the A7r lacked some modern features like PDAF and EFCS. I had both of the features on my Alpha 99 and was aware  of their benefits.

So now we have a new generation of cameras, much improved in many senses. A much improved sensor came along with A7rII.
  • A7II - base model
  • A7rII - high resolution model
  • A7sII - model optimised for low light and video

It may have been better if the first series were more finished and there may have been less need for a second generation. But I don't see why Sony needs bashing for updating their product line.

Best regards
Erik

Lots of pros around here using the A7II/r/rII/s right now. Particularly the A7II and A7rII, it seems, for everything from wedding videography, to studio work, to even photography, to landscapes and architectural work (for the latter, it's pretty much a no-brainer). It doesn't work for some things (chiefly fast action, I don't know anything about video), but, for the areas it works in, it does extremely well. There's a reason so many people are showing up to paid shoots these days with Sony bodies and non-Sony lenses.

It's definitely a work in progress, though.

I'd say the release schedule is more like that of an emerging, rapidly-progressing product than that of a consumer product. Canon/Nikon only release a 1Dx or D800 every three years or so because, any less than that, it wouldn't be worth upgrading. Even with a three year cycle, the improvements are largely incremental, since it's a mature product - there are more improvements between Sony cameras 1 year apart than between Canon cameras 3 years apart. Once mirrorless technology - specifically, the speed and accuracy of AF and intelligent acquisition and tracking (face detect, eye detect, detect animal, follow red cars only, etc.) - becomes more mature, I'd also expect Sony to settle into a slower product cycle.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up