Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brunei before sunrise  (Read 945 times)

shadowblade

Brunei before sunrise
« on: February 04, 2016, 03:12:38 pm »

Sunrise over the Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddin mosque in Bandar Seri Begawan.

Any ideas how I can fix the white balance on this one? Seems that, no matter what I do with curves, contrast, saturation, colour filters/overlays, etc., the colours just don't seem to come out right somewhere in the image, but I can't pick exactly where the problem is.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 05:01:28 am by shadowblade »

KMRennie

Re: Brunei before sunrise
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 03:31:56 pm »

The image appears not to have an imbedded color profile and looks very oversaturated to me. I hope that this helps.
Ken

shadowblade

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 03:41:56 pm »

The image appears not to have an imbedded color profile and looks very oversaturated to me. I hope that this helps.
Ken

Should be sRGB - I converted it to sRGB before uploading to web.

Did you see how it looks after reducing the saturation? To me some parts look heavily saturated at the moment (primarily the mosque) but the whole thing looks downright awful when the saturation is turned down, unless you go all the way and make it monochrome.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 03:57:13 pm »

...the colours just don't seem to come out right somewhere in the image, but I can't pick exactly where the problem is.

Because the building is lit electrically, the colours seem ok.

shadowblade

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 04:46:56 pm »

Because the building is lit electrically, the colours seem ok.

That's what I thought. But, somehow, it still looks wrong. Not sure if it's the colours, the contrast or something else.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 03:56:26 am »

To me it looks a bit over saturated, especially the yellow; but I actually like the boldness, as it boosts the complementarity between yellow and blue.

In terms of composition, I would like to see a bit more room below the reflection of the mosque; plus I think that the blocked black area on the right could be cropped.

The whole rendition looks to me like a scanned high saturation slide, minus the "noise" or "grain":)

shadowblade

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 05:05:12 am »

To me it looks a bit over saturated, especially the yellow; but I actually like the boldness, as it boosts the complementarity between yellow and blue.

In terms of composition, I would like to see a bit more room below the reflection of the mosque; plus I think that the blocked black area on the right could be cropped.

The whole rendition looks to me like a scanned high saturation slide, minus the "noise" or "grain":)

Thanks

Found the source of a problem - I looked closely at the original image and saw that everything seemed to look fine with the exception of the mosque itself. Then I went through the stack of layers and found an inverted mask applying the wrong set of curves to the mosque.

Also re-cropped it. I don't think it's possible to crop out the bush on the right - with a narrower crop, the whole image just feels far too constricted.

stamper

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 06:21:45 am »

A slight reduction in the saturation slider should work. As it is I like it but I can see how others might find it to be too bold.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 09:45:53 am »

I agree with those commenting about slight over-saturation, but overall I like the photo. However, I'm not too keen about those clouds on the righthand side, behind the buildings. On my monitor, they appear to be a neon dark-blue, and do not look natural to my eye.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up