Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QImage vs. Colorburst RIP  (Read 6437 times)

JerryL

QImage vs. Colorburst RIP
« on: May 04, 2006, 02:26:21 am »

Hi all,

Similar to another thread I just posted...

I just came across references to QImage.  I currently own the Colorburst RIP that came bundled with my 4800.  I have some large print jobs coming up, printing approximately 200 individual 8x10s and/or pairs of 5x7s, all on 8.5x11 Ilford Smooth Pearl paper.  I have a profile for this paper that works excellently with the Epson print driver (i.e. printing via CS2).

Questions:
1. Overall, which is a better utility for printing, assuming both are an improvement over the Epson driver I use via CS2?

2. Will either/both allow me to use 3rd party profiles?

3. Will the print and/or image quality vary from one utility to the other?  I've been very happy with printing directly from CS2

4. Epson's claim is that Colorburst is more economical in terms of ink usage.  Is the same true of QImage?

Many thanks for your help!!!!!!

[span style='color:blue']Jerry[/span]

Paul Sumi

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 11:13:42 am »

Jerry,

QImage has been described as a "poor man's RIP."  However, it does not replace Epson's printer drivers. What it is, is a very good printing utility with excellent print size interpolation and other features including full ICC aware color management (yes, it plays well with custom profiles).  The UI gets mixed reviews, but works for me.

Best way to see if it suits your needs is to try the 30 day demo (Windows/Linux only, not Mac - well, it should work on Intel Macs with Bootcamp).  Please note that there are two versions, Pro and Lite.

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

Support is excellent and upgrades are free for life.  There is an active Yahoo group where Mike Chaney, the author of QImage, hangs out:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/qimage/?yguid=89720916

Hope this helps,

Paul
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 11:20:46 am by PaulS »

JerryL

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 12:53:04 pm »

Jerry,

QImage has been described as a "poor man's RIP."  However, it does not replace Epson's printer drivers. What it is, is a very good printing utility with excellent print size interpolation and other features including full ICC aware color management (yes, it plays well with custom profiles).  The UI gets mixed reviews, but works for me.

Thanks for the reply, Paul.

Offhand - would you be able to tell the difference between an image printed via CS2 and the Epson driver vs QImage, all other things being equal?

Thanks!

Paul Sumi

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 01:52:44 pm »

Offhand - would you be able to tell the difference between an image printed via CS2 and the Epson driver vs QImage, all other things being equal?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=64486\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jerry,

I have to say, "it depends."  My workflow is to process RAW in Capture One (with Magne profiles), make adjustments in PS CS and then print TIFFs from QImage.  You can easily do all of this in PS CS; it's a matter of skill (I'm no PS maven), taste/preference, and perhaps budget.

That said, IMO I get better prints from QIMage than PS CS on my 2400.  Enough "better" to buy QImage?  Again yes IMO but others will have their own opinions.

As I said before, it costs nothing to try the 30 day demo, and you're the best judge of whether QImage would fit into yout printing workflow.

Regards,

Paul
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 02:01:59 pm by PaulS »

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 02:43:38 pm »

Visible difference in  native printing in CS2 vs QImage?

Probably not, but the workflow is ___significantly___ better in Qimage.

JerryL

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 09:04:53 pm »

Just installed the trial version, and it's great!!!!  I had profiled images cranked out in a few moments (I actually did do a little RTFM, a little), and since we're going through the same drivers, all prints were the same (as expected).

I'm thrilled by the discovery of thils wonderful applet.

Thanks to all for weighing in, it's obvious QImage is well-received in the community!

Paul Sumi

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 11:52:29 pm »

Jerry,

Glad that QImage is working well for you.  Mike Chaney is constantly improving the application, cranking out a major new release each year with a steady flow of updates and bug fixes.

As I mentioned earlier, the Yahoo group is a great place to ask questions and get support from Mike and other QI users.

Paul

WayneDrury

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 05:57:57 am »

Jerry,

Glad that QImage is working well for you.  Mike Chaney is constantly improving the application, cranking out a major new release each year with a steady flow of updates and bug fixes.

As I mentioned earlier, the Yahoo group is a great place to ask questions and get support from Mike and other QI users.

Paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=64559\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I too find this an excellent printing utility, having had it mentioned to m by a colleague.  My current Epson R300 has a considerable differenc in sharpeness, colours and detail in the images when using QiImage.

Wayne
Pages: [1]   Go Up