Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you Teach Creativity?  (Read 31848 times)

Ray

Re: Can you Teach Creativity?
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2016, 07:46:24 pm »

Great interview. Direct link to it here.

"Saul Leiter in Conversation with Vince Aletti". 

Is that the video you find so interesting? I have to confess I found it a bit tedious. The guy often didn't seem to know what he wanted to say. Perhaps it was just the effects of old age.

I was surprised at some of the examples of Saul's images that were shown in the video. They reminded me of some of my own shots that I occasionally take by accident when I carry two cameras around my shoulders and accidentally trip the shutter when walking around or climbing over objects, resulting in shots of reflections on windows, or a composition of a piece of ground surrounded by seriously out-of-focus objects.

Perhaps I should not delete such photos.  ;D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2016, 08:28:02 pm »

Ray, it must really hurt when such accidental shots by a guy who doesn't know what he wants to say are still held in higher regard ;)

Ray

« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2016, 09:50:56 pm »

Ray, it must really hurt when such accidental shots by a guy who doesn't know what he wants to say are still held in higher regard ;)

Not at all, Slobodan. My sense of Buddhist equanimity helps me to avoid such feelings.  ;)

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2016, 10:12:12 pm »

Is that the video you find so interesting? I have to confess I found it a bit tedious. The guy often didn't seem to know what he wanted to say. Perhaps it was just the effects of old age.

I was surprised at some of the examples of Saul's images that were shown in the video. They reminded me of some of my own shots that I occasionally take by accident when I carry two cameras around my shoulders and accidentally trip the shutter when walking around or climbing over objects, resulting in shots of reflections on windows, or a composition of a piece of ground surrounded by seriously out-of-focus objects.

That was indeed the video. I thought he knew exactly what he wanted to say, and said it beautifully, although he got a bit tired towards the end. I also regretfully acknowledged an undeniable difference between his accidental-looking, partly out of focus shots, and almost all of my own work of that kind - we have all done some. I did find it intriguing to think further about the nature of that difference, finding elements to do with both composition and emotional content. YMMV. I wished they had talked a bit more about his painting and found this though Google.
Ken Cameron

Rob C

« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2016, 04:29:51 am »

Ken,

Thanks for the new links - my book from his Hamburg show does contain some of the 'painted nudes' but some of the ones on your link are even better; thanks again.

Concening the interview: that same end-of-show listing of other similar shows also includes a set of four entitled: "Lecture by Saul Leiter: The New York Reflections." This is a four-part series which I hadn't discovered until after making my original link to you guys; a jumping of the gun, then. I think it's even better an interview because Saul doesn't get quite so weary later in it. What surprises me is the lack of questions at the end: only one woman had the balls to ask a question...

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2016, 04:38:55 am »

Maybe you shouldn't! Teacher, teach thyself? ;-)

Here's a link to one of his books on colour:

http://jongorospe.blogspot.com.es/2013/05/saul-leiter-early-colour.html

It's the second video down.

Rob

Ray

« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2016, 05:54:37 am »

Maybe you shouldn't! Teacher, teach thyself? ;-)

Here's a link to one of his books on colour:

http://jongorospe.blogspot.com.es/2013/05/saul-leiter-early-colour.html

It's the second video down.

Rob

Thanks for the link, Rob. Unfortunately, the images are too small to appreciate. My general impression is that most of Saul's images are of trivial nature and rather meaningless. That's my honest opinion, although I suspect if I were to search his entire works I'd probably find a few images that are interesting.

Rob C

« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2016, 09:25:23 am »

Thanks for the link, Rob. Unfortunately, the images are too small to appreciate. My general impression is that most of Saul's images are of trivial nature and rather meaningless. That's my honest opinion, although I suspect if I were to search his entire works I'd probably find a few images that are interesting.

Ray - your quid's in!

I just consulted the book of art law and found:

"Law 1.

No person shall be obliged to share a common taste with every, or any, other person."

Phew!

;-)

Rob

P.S. In case there may still be hope:

http://www.gallery51.com/index.php?navigatieid=9&fotograafid=15

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 02:57:43 pm by Rob C »

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2016, 08:14:38 pm »

"Rob C's law" (as I shall henceforth think of it) certainly applies. I would, however,  be genuinely interested to know the names of a photographer or two most of whose images you consider non-trivial and meaningful (not to pick an argument, just to better understand where you are coming from).
Ken Cameron

Ray

« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2016, 08:53:59 pm »

"Rob C's law" (as I shall henceforth think of it) certainly applies. I would, however,  be genuinely interested to know the names of a photographer or two most of whose images you consider non-trivial and meaningful (not to pick an argument, just to better understand where you are coming from).

That's easy. One photographer in particular whose work I find non-trivial, meaningful and sometimes even inspiring is me. Not Man Ray, but Me Ray.  ;D

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2016, 11:15:10 pm »

That's easy. One photographer in particular whose work I find non-trivial, meaningful and sometimes even inspiring is me. Not Man Ray, but Me Ray.  ;D
Or, if you want to sing it,  "D'oh! Ray Me!''.  No argument with that. But I did enquire about "the names of a photographer or two...''.
Ken Cameron

Ray

« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2016, 10:36:47 am »

Whilst processing some RAW images today, of a recent trip to New Zealand, I came across the following shot which immediately struck me as being similar to some of the shots by Saul Leiter.

It was taken by accident of course, but what's surprisingly is that the floor is in focus. I've assigned another button on the camera for focussing purposes, separate from the shutter button, so I must have accidentally pressed two different buttons in the correct order.  ;)

So what do you think? Should I delete this, or does it have some semi-abstract merit?  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2016, 11:41:59 am »

Whilst processing some RAW images today, of a recent trip to New Zealand, I came across the following shot which immediately struck me as being similar to some of the shots by Saul Leiter.

It was taken by accident of course, but what's surprisingly is that the floor is in focus. I've assigned another button on the camera for focussing purposes, separate from the shutter button, so I must have accidentally pressed two different buttons in the correct order.  ;)

So what do you think? Should I delete this, or does it have some semi-abstract merit?  ;D

No, just feel happy I got there too.

;-)

Rob

Ray

« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2016, 07:06:41 am »

No, just feel happy I got there too.

;-)

Rob

Nice shoes, Rob. Was that shot really an accident?

I'm a bit puzzled by the total white of the background. Have you deliberately blown the highlights, or was that also accidental?  ;)

Looking at some of the other images I took around the same time as my previous accidental shot, on a cruise ship in the Bay of Islands in the north of the North Island of New Zealand, the  following attached image seems a tad more interesting.  ;D

What do you think?

Rob C

« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2016, 09:36:30 am »

Ray,

"Nice shoes, Rob. Was that shot really an accident?"

Thank you Ray; yes, accidental, in exactly the same manner as the delighful images born of the peregrinations of one Saul Leiter through his local New York barrio are accidental!

I like your splashy accident; you should try to coax Dame Fortune to offer more of them: full of life, which many deliberate studies are not, regardless of the snapper.

I always enjoy chatting with you, especially when you turn opaque: always far more pleasing encounters than the recent stroke of misfortune that befell me in trying to engage with a lost soul; at least you know how to retain your credibility and to stop digging holes for yourself!

;-)

Rob
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up