Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 49x37mm or 54x40.5 image sensor size is the optimum?  (Read 6925 times)

Ken R

Re: 49x37mm or 54x40.5 image sensor size is the optimum?
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 01:50:44 pm »

And what is stopping P1/Leaf or Hassy  to use exclusive to them if they can?

Probably LOTS of money and a signed contract.

Theodoros

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2016, 02:26:22 pm »

Hi,

Sorry, English is not my native language, can you explain the question?

Best regards
Erik

If Hassy or other finds (or has already found) a supplier that would make an exclusive sensor for them (like Leica did) what's stopping them from adding this sensor in their line? You seem to believe that having another source than Sony as to provide sensors is forbidden,,,

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2016, 02:47:59 pm »

Hi,

You seem to think that MFD sensor makers are abundant…

In Kevin Raber's interview mr Oosten is quite clear on Hasselblad cooperating with Sony.

Best regards
Erik

If Hassy or other finds (or has already found) a supplier that would make an exclusive sensor for them (like Leica did) what's stopping them from adding this sensor in their line? You seem to believe that having another source than Sony as to provide sensors is forbidden,,,
Erik Kaffehr

Miyata610

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 04:13:23 pm »

I think I know the answer, but....

If I want a sensor without microlenses, what are my options and what sizes are/were made?

Theodoros

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 04:31:27 pm »

Hi,

You seem to think that MFD sensor makers are abundant…

In Kevin Raber's interview mr Oosten is quite clear on Hasselblad cooperating with Sony.

Best regards
Erik

You keep putting words into Mr Oosten's mouth that he never said... Let me remind you... Mr. Oosten said that they have "very good relations with Sony" and that Sony sensors are "open" to all makers... He neither confirmed that they'll be using Sony's 100mp sensor... His words were that "they will be using 100mp sensor at some point but its got to be done right".... Look it back.

He also said that multishot backs are very important for Hasselblad as they supply MS products to major cultural institutions, so one would expect that they'll use something bigger than 44x33 sensor for MS... and that can't be Sony's 100mp sensor. Mind you that I'm in a position to know that the current 200MS has lesser reputation than Sinar's eXact back, but also from the previous 200MS CCD back...

torger

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2016, 04:53:44 pm »

Regarding microlenses, I would imagine that those are just a step in manufacturing, so I guess it would possible to make a sensor without them.

That's true, that type of customization has been available before. The Kodak KAF-50100 for example can be had with or without microlenses. However the microlenses is not the big issue here, they may cause ripple and such artifacts but they can usually be cleaned up (Capture One does that all the time with Dalsa 6um sensors), the big issue is lack of light shielding between pixels, and that requires a change of pixel design... ie not going to happen

bpepz

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 12:13:38 am »

The larger sensor size is pretty important to me. I do food and lifestyle, and even going from 44x33 to 48x36mm I saw a huge difference in the way the scene is rendered.

Theodoros

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 08:54:12 am »

The larger sensor size is pretty important to me. I do food and lifestyle, and even going from 44x33 to 48x36mm I saw a huge difference in the way the scene is rendered.

OTH going from 44x33 to 37x49, other than the significantly wider AOV, doesn't affect image quality near the edges and corners at all... but another (only) 10% linear size increase of the edges which is required for the sensor to be of 54x40.5 size, is just the extra little part that exposes lens image circle limitations (especially at wider apertures),increases distortion and thus forces the user to stop down the lenses which of course makes the system "slower"... I believe the question should rather be: "who needs larger sensor with 24mm lenses around that leads to wide AOV which satisfies even the most extreme requirements"?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up