Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this graph correct?  (Read 869 times)

One Frame at a Time

Is this graph correct?
« on: February 03, 2016, 07:53:35 pm »

Hi,

Can someone please explain this representation to me?  Im doing some research and stumbled on this graph comparing sRGB to Adobe RGB
color spaces.  I thought sRGB was 8 bit and Adobe RGB 16 bit?  How is the Adobe Space 16 bit if it ranges from 0 to 255?  Isn't that 8 bits?
If it is correct, where is the extra data that is supposed to be contained in a 16 bit color space / workflow?

Thanks!

Paul

hugowolf

Re: Is this graph correct?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 09:11:58 pm »

AdobeRGB can be 8 bit and sRGB can be 16 bit. These spaces are not defined by bit depth. And bit depth doesn't change gamut range. Increasing the bit depth from 8 bits to 16 bits gives you more numbers (RGB triplets) within the range of the gamut, more graduations of color.

The spaces are defined by the RGB primary coordinates, amongst other things. If you look up sRGB on Wikipedia, it would give you a start.

Brian A

Sbarroso

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 12:46:32 am »

AdobeRGB and sRGB are "color spaces". A color space defines which colors are assigned to which RGB code values. The RGB are coordinates, but you need the map, and each one is different. same coordinates are different points in different maps.

Although the normal is that 255,255,255 is white, you could potentially design a color space where that is black, pink or you favorite red.
So, a RGB value is not an color until it is assigned to an exact one by the color space. It could be better called XYZ, or L.a.b.

A color profile is almost the same, but in this case is dictated by the limitations of a certain device. when exporting an image from one device (e.g. your computer) to another (e.g monitor or printer), you need a "translator" (color motor). It sends that color you want as a code/coordinates that will give THAT color in the device (or nearest possible, if there is a limitation). The same code give to another device will give a (slightly?) different color.

Color management are the tools that make possible that all devices are properly understood and can talk to each other correctly (through those "translators").

Santiago

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 08:50:28 am »

Hi,

Can someone please explain this representation to me?  Im doing some research and stumbled on this graph comparing sRGB to Adobe RGB
color spaces.  I thought sRGB was 8 bit and Adobe RGB 16 bit?  How is the Adobe Space 16 bit if it ranges from 0 to 255?  Isn't that 8 bits?
If it is correct, where is the extra data that is supposed to be contained in a 16 bit color space / workflow?

Thanks!

Paul

It's probably just for convenience of presentation. 16 bits do not give a wider range of colors than 8 bits, just finer gradations within the color range.
Pages: [1]   Go Up