Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

Ergonomics: Canon, Nikon, or Sony?

(1/17) > >>

John Koerner:
Just curious of the general consensus of things regarding superior ergonomics.

I am trying to acclimate to the Nikon D810 I just purchased, and I realize that I have grown used to Canon ergonomics.
(I don't have to "think" when switching "this and that" on my Canon, it just happens automatically.)

While I am fully-aware of the fact I need to learn how to use my new Nikon, and that (maybe) all of its features will become second nature to me soon as well, my gut tells me Canon simply has superior ergonomics to the Nikon (which is a pretty big deal to me).

The switching of ISO levels (which requires 2 hands with the Nikon), the ability to display a histogram, even f/stop and SS switching just seems easier and more intuitive on the Canon than the Nikon.
(When quick thinking, and fast-action, are required, this can be a big deal ...)

I am curious to hear other people's thoughts in this regard: i.e., the opinions of those who have used multi-systems ... their beliefs as to which system has the superior ergonomics.

Every system seems to be upgrading at the moment ... and my thinking is, as "brand specs" get closer-and-closer in features, etc., that (ultimately) user-friendly, intuitive ergonomics are going to be the deciding points on purchase decisions ...

What are your thoughts?

Jack

BernardLanguillier:
As far as ISO setting goes, you have 2 easier options on the D810:

1. Set easy ISO in aperture mode -> one of the dial can be used to set the ISO with one hand
2. Use auto-ISO, probably the best implementation of any manufacturer since you can define the minimum shutter speed with a lot of flexibility (absolute value or related to focal length with possible bias).

For the rest, it's really a matter of getting used to it.

Cheers,
Bernard

Colorado David:
A friend and colleague of mine, a very well respected commercial photographer here, switched to Canon from Nikon about a year before the D3 came out.  He needed the full frame and larger file of the Canon at the time. After making the switch, we were working together on a shoot. He had nothing good to say about the Canon ergonomics or operation.  He was pleased with the files, but hated the tactile experience. I think it may be as much what you're used to. If you've spent years with your hands wrapped around one or the other brand of camera, switching is going to be tedious. When the D3 was announced I had just spent two weeks on a shoot in the wilderness with no phone or internet. I learned about the Nikon D3 announcement from a TSA agent in a tiny little airport as he was inspecting my equipment bags.  The first thing I thought of was my friend and his switch to Canon. He is again a Nikon user, shooting the D800E and the D810. I'll have to find out what he plans to do about the D5.

In the film days everyone I knew had three identical camera bodies.  Remember that? Every time you upgraded to a new model, you bought three of them. Now it seems you have three different camera bodies.

razrblck:
I've been using Nikon for a long time. A friend of mine lent me a Canon 7D for a couple of days and I hated the big wheel on the back, but the files were indeed nice. The menu was also a big issue for me, I'm used to the new Nikon menu. It was already painful when they switched cameras to that menu style, as I started on the old one on a Coolpix bridge, but this was minor compared to switching everything.

As for the feel, Canon do feel more "cheap" to me, despite being really tough. But it's just a tactile feel, I had the same impression of handling a toy when I tried the D810 and really didn't like it.

I never recommend switching systems, it's always a pain in the ass as well as a huge financial hit for the lenses.

I don't want to live in a world in which either Nikon or Canon have no direct competition. I want them both to coexists as it is beneficial to us customers, so I always tell people to go with whatever they find more comfortable and intuitive for them because the final image quality is less about the gear and more about everything else.

pluton:
The top of the line Nikons have really nice ergos.  I had D2 and D3 cameras.  Take one step down, such as my current D800/E cameras, and the feel turns junky in comparison.
Can't say if Canon is the same.  I've briefly handled 5D Mk2 cams, and they felt fine to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version