Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seoul Searching  (Read 1993 times)

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
Seoul Searching
« on: February 02, 2016, 07:17:48 pm »

I have the most intense case of jet lag I've ever experienced, but the last 9 days have been worth it.  We've just returned from Seoul, South Korea where we photographed what was maybe the coolest project of my career to date.  Sadly, we're under a strict NDA until materials are released.  I can't wait to share the images.  I've got 10 or so that top anything in my portfolio.

For a lot of the shoot, we kept 2 sets going simultaneously to achieve our aggressive shot list.  In 6 days of shooting we captured 75 formal shots off the architects' list and I grabbed another 45, or so, more candid images (often handheld with a zoom).  I can't imagine being able to achieve this shoot (working fast and efficiently) at the quality level demanded with anything other than my Sonys.  Sorry ;)

We were very fortunate to have Chie Joongkeun (Chiek Photo) join our crew.  The extra set of eyes and hands was invaluable and he kept things smooth with the local rental house.  "JK" was also kind enough to bring out his Canon 11-24 and I have to tell you guys, that is an amazing piece of glass! 

Arca rushed me an early electronic Canon mount for the shoot and it's pretty damn cool.  It has some issues yet.  I'm guessing the firmware will need work for maximum lens compatibility, but it was so nice to have aperture control on the 24TS-e.

We took 8 Profoto D1's with us and a half dozen new Dedo LED 'inkies'.  Both the strobe and LEDs were multi-voltage and that was a godsend working overseas.  We also rented 8 Arri 300s and those came in pretty handy.

Here's a grab of our crew at the end of the shoot...

My two assistants Patsy and Matthew, JK, Mark the architect, Jade and Sun our client contacts and your's truly.

Korea was an amazing experience and the people there were so wonderful.  Some of the project wasn't ready to shoot yet and I'd love to go back for it!

Somehow we got Saturday off and since I can't share any project photos, here are a handful of my tourist grabs...

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 09:35:42 pm by Chris Barrett »

JoeKitchen

Re: Seoul Searching
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 07:45:23 pm »

Damn, I'm jealous and would like to just see Seoul, let alone be sent there to work.

Looks like you had a great time, and got one one hell of a about photo for your site.  (Everyone is smiling, enjoying themselves.  That alone will give you a great edge to any AD.)

Really can't wait to see the images.  Best ever, they must be pretty damn nice! 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:14:14 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 07:51:17 pm »

The most amazing thing is that you saw blue skies in Seoul! ;)

Congrats on the successful project. What features of the Sony do you consider to be unique differentiators for this project? would that be IBIS and the possibility to mount Canon lenses?

Cheers,
Bernard

p.s.: to be fair, it happens more often in the winter

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 08:07:30 pm »

Chris,

Awesome work - 75 in 9 days straight! 

I for one can't wait to see them if you state they are better than most of your current portfolio!

Were you running to Arcas on two sets?

I'm sure there are a heap of awesome behind the scenes shots too.

Great work (in anticipation)

AL
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 10:08:03 pm »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the posting, great shots.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 02:26:38 am »

Hi,

Nice pictures and a great team! Thanks for sharing!

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

NickT

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 11:49:59 pm »

Very jealous, had an all too brief visit to Seoul and loved it. Thanks for sharing.

chiek

• chiek imaging
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 10:40:48 pm »

We were very fortunate to have Chie Joongkeun (Chiek Photo) join our crew.  The extra set of eyes and hands was invaluable and he kept things smooth with the local rental house.  "JK" was also kind enough to bring out his Canon 11-24 and I have to tell you guys, that is an amazing piece of glass! 

Thank you for posting. We had a great time to make photographs! and for me, almost every time in studio, It was time to think a lot.
Very very nice experience with you. Thanks !
chiek imaging, in Seoul, SOUTH-KOREA.
Sinar P2, Hasselblad CFv-50c medium format and a7R systems
major job is products shot, especially for electronic products.
but interested in Landscapes and Portraits, Still-life.
my hobby is Designing camera…
www.chiek.co.kr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 01:16:52 am »

Hi,

Nice to hear you have been having fun! Thanks for sharing your camera designs.

Best regards
Erik

Thank you for posting. We had a great time to make photographs! and for me, almost every time in studio, It was time to think a lot.
Very very nice experience with you. Thanks !
Erik Kaffehr

Harold Clark

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 07:22:18 pm »

Chris, have you ever been tempted to go with Profoto B1 monolites to avoid running cords to all the lights? That is assuming of course that you don't presently use batteries ( Buff for instance ) with your D1s.

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 10:11:18 am »

I AM tempted by those... because they're new gear (ya know?)  I just don't seem to get into that many instances where I don't have power close at hand.  Even when I'm shooting on the RED, I typically prefer to run the camera off mains rather than lugging another case just for the V-Mounts.

Still, it might be nice to have one for those few instances where I would have to run a cord through the shot.  500Ws max is kind of a drag.

CB
Pages: [1]   Go Up